Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Brentford v Nottm Forest Reports and Reaction

A lot of nice play going forward but we did seem afraid to shoot at times.

I thought our bench was stronger then the starting lineup.
    FloJo for me isn't a starter so we need Canos to come back soon.
    Watkins looked excellent , Dalsgaard reminds me of Martin Grainger , maybe its the skinhead

We have a lot of very good players, just hope the right combination is found soon.

Joined in Jul 2011
    From Northolt
    8,374 Posts
    3,325 Likes for 1,811 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by King John View Post
    I hope Smith reads and cogitates your post and stops spinning we played well.
    Quote Originally Posted by King John View Post
    Bjellend is a great passer and has skill but not enough pace for this division. I saw him in his first game when he got injured against a L 2 club in the Coca cola competition and he didn't know what hit him with the pace running at him. Egan was fantastic at the beginning of last season and then lost confidence. Hopefully, his goal will get him back to that level. Henry is good but his weaknesses were on display yesterday. We lack height at the back and we say this every year but we persist with small defenders. Colin is the best right back in the division and I assume that the only reason that he didn't play him is the birth of a sibling or he wants a big money move like Jota. Why not play him; will come to light. I am not a fan of our manager who is easy to see how we play, doesn't make decisions fast enough, always puts on subs in the 67 70 minute time frame. We need experience and youthful gambles. Very impressed with Watkins skill and attacking midfield play. Maupay took his goal well and could work out well. To be consistent, I keep saying that we need an experienced striker surrounded by the youthful prospects and Vibe an impact sub I agree Mac is a luxury. It is going to be along season as our defence is a shambles now.
    I don't mind Bjellend but agree. I do feel that injury has hindered him though. Egan started well last season and was improving, he was then out of the team for a long time and looks like he needs a good run again, I think he can be better than Dean. I like Barbet and think he'll probably get his chance Tuesday. I like Colin, Dalsgaard, Henry, Clarke so don't mind who's chosen, but people choose to ignore why some of those aren't playing, at the moment it's not individual problems why we are conceding, it's a collective.
    I don't mind Smith but yesterday changes should have been made as soon as they scored their 3rd.
    We do look like we need more experience up top and at the back, I'm sure we were/are looking, but they're not always easy to come by or are not cheap, especially up top.
    McEachran for me doesn't do it enough, with his experience of where he's already played in his career, he should be one of if not the leading player for us, he's definitely paid to be.
    Maupay and Watkins came on and were more composed in their time on the pitch and brought some stability, I'd put Sawyers in that too. The first 2 must be given a start against Bristol.
    Enjoy yourself. We're following the Bees..............

3. 1 user(s) liked this post
    King John (14th August 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by pete72 View Post

Watkins looked excellent , Dalsgaard reminds me of Martin Grainger , maybe its the skinhead

We have a lot of very good players, just hope the right combination is found soon.
    Grainger defended first with crunching tackles

Joined in Jul 2011
    From Northolt
    8,374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pete72 View Post

There were some good breaks where we lost our shape and it cost us as it slowed down to nothing with no end product, happened too much.
    Do hope combination is found but thought we'd already have a good idea for the start of the season, and supposed to have depth in rotation.
    It wasn't shocking yesterday but something didn't seem right out there.

Extract from Dean Smith's post hatch interview yesterday:

We definitely should have taken something, said Dean, speaking to iFollow Brentford after the match. I know that sounds mad when the opposition have come here and scored four goals: two world class ones and a deflection. We were in absolute cruise control for 40 minutes. We were well on top of the game and created chances that we didnt take. We deservedly took the lead but the game turned on the last five minutes of the first-half and the first five minutes of the second-half. We will look back the goals that we conceded and see if we can improve from there.

This could be referring to many of the matches since he has been in charge. What it suggest to me is that he really has no idea how to change things. Formation, tactics, team selection substitutions, etc. are all down to him. So why little or no change to most of these under his stewardship? Possibly because he does not know what to do? "Cruise control"!!! Really? Poor choice or words or are we just going through the motions?

How many more times do I have to hear him say we were unlucky and deserved more? Sorry, that is getting a bit like a stuck record now. We'll never get more with his sterile approach to most aspects of a match.

What I still struggle with us how he was given an extension to his contract last season. He has not even demonstrated, IMO, that he can deliver anything in the Championship. Were there a queue of clubs in Braemar Road trying to poach him? I do not think so. The only poaching I'd like to associate with him is the one that involves a large pan of boiling water👍.

Long season ahead me thinks. We need a Board that has some balls and takes the only decision I believe is sensible - get shot of Mr Smith and his mates whilst we have not yet been cast adrift at the bottom end of what is likely to be a much stronger Championship this season.
    Last edited by waster; 13th August 2017 at 13:34. Reason: Spelling

Joined in Apr 2000
    From Hull, East Yorkshire
    7,449 Posts
    1,255 Likes for 683 Posts
    Forgot to mention we experiencing something to the Lampard/Gerrard conundrum. It doesn't always work just playing your best players, they need to have defined roles to make the team function.

Joined in Jul 2011
    From Northolt
    8,374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waster View Post

“We definitely should have taken something,” said Dean, speaking to iFollow Brentford after the match. “I know that sounds mad when the opposition have come here and scored four goals: two world class ones and a deflection. We were in absolute cruise control for 40 minutes. We were well on top of the game and created chances that we didn’t take. We deservedly took the lead but the game turned on the last five minutes of the first-half and the first five minutes of the second-half. We will look back the goals that we conceded and see if we can improve from there.”

This could be referring to many of the matches since he has been in charge. What it suggest to me is that he really has no idea how to change things. Formation, tactics, team selection substitutions, etc. are all down to him. So why little or no change to most of these under his stewardship? Possibly because he does not know what to do? "Cruise control"!!! Really? Poor choice or words or are we just going through the motions?

How many more times do I have to hear him say we were unlucky and deserved more? Sorry, that is getting a bit like a stuck record now. We'll never get more with his sterile approach to most aspects of a match.

What I still struggle with us how he was given an extension to his contract last season. He has not even demonstrated, IMO, that he can deliver anything in the Championship. Were there a queue of clubs in Braemar Road trying to poach him? I do not think so. The only poaching I'd like to associate with him is the one that involves a large pan of boiling water��.

Long season ahead me thinks. We need a Board that has some balls and takes the only decision I believe is sensible - get shot of Mr Smith and his mates whilst we have not yet been cast adrift at the bottom end of what is likely to be a much stronger Championship this season.
    We've played 2 games so you've heard it twice we deserved more. General feeling among fans is the same for the 2 games.

2 top 10 finishes has warranted him to still be here

9. 1 user(s) liked this post
    essexbees (13th August 2017)
  10. Quote Originally Posted by Herbert View Post
    We've played 2 games so you've heard it twice we deserved more. General feeling among fans is the same for the 2 games.

2 top 10 finishes has warranted him to still be here
    It is irritating when he bangs on about us deserving to win when we don't though. We did not deserve to win yesterday.
    They weren't world-beaters and their goals were not "world class" as he's trying to claim.
    If he just acknowledged our issues and said we'd work on them that'd be fine. If he's just doing "media spin" and is different behind closed doors then perhaps that's OK (although I don't like it) but it still worries me that he can't see the issues.
    Egan and Bjelland with their severe lack of pace is an easy thing to exploit, it's exactly what they did and lumped it over our midfield (and fullbacks when they supported attacks), and attacked them repeatedly. At times we were so poor that two of their players up front were causing major problems for five of ours.
    We could have changed it tactically, told Henry and Dalsgaard to sit deeper and attack less, giving Bjelland and Egan more support. Which is not ideal but when playing those two it's probably necessary. Similarly for the defensive/central midfield all looked OK in brief bits but players like McE are particular susceptible to being played round (as he's not quick so just lump it past him and he won't get back in time to help) which compounds the problems we were having at the back.

“We definitely should have taken something,” said Dean, speaking to iFollow Brentford after the match. “I know that sounds mad when the opposition have come here and scored four goals: two world class ones and a deflection. We were in absolute cruise control for 40 minutes. We were well on top of the game and created chances that we didn’t take. We deservedly took the lead but the game turned on the last five minutes of the first-half and the first five minutes of the second-half. We will look back the goals that we conceded and see if we can improve from there.”

What I still struggle with us how he was given an extension to his contract last season. He has not even demonstrated, IMO, that he can deliver anything in the Championship. Were there a queue of clubs in Braemar Road trying to poach him? I do not think so. The only poaching I'd like to associate with him is the one that involves a large pan of boiling water��.

Massive overreaction tbh,"long season ahead" "get rid before we're cast adrift at the bottom end" get a grip man. Before their first it did feel like we weren't at our best but were in control. Plus shouldn't read too much into what a manager says in the press, what they say in public will be very different to what they so behind closed doors.
    What if there were no hypothetical questions?

12. 1 user(s) liked this post
    Herbert (13th August 2017)
    Having just watched the highlights all 4 of their calls came from really poor defending.

1st Egan heads out into the centre. Never ever do that. Clear into the corners
    2nd Rico lost possession too easily
    3rd where was the right back
    4th Saywere again cleared back into the centre.

I don't like losing but that was all preventable.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Nada Bee View Post
    Having just watched the highlights all 4 of their calls came from really poor defending.

1st Egan heads out into the centre. Never ever do that. Clear into the corners
    2nd Rico lost possession too easily
    3rd where was the right back
    4th Saywere again cleared back into the centre.

I don't like losing but that was all preventable.
    Dunno if you were at the game but sadly it wasn't like it was just a few errors. It was one of those were you knew goals were coming and we looked liable to concede on every attack. The good thing is with our attacking players we will usually get chances against anyone but the other half of the pitch needs addressing.

15. 1 user(s) liked this post

Seems like overreactions to this match are getting more extreme with every passing hour.

17. 1 user(s) liked this post
    Quote Originally Posted by IDontBeeLieveIt View Post
    Dunno if you were at the game but sadly it wasn't like it was just a few errors. It was one of those were you knew goals were coming and we looked liable to concede on every attack. The good thing is with our attacking players we will usually get chances against anyone but the other half of the pitch needs addressing.
    I wasn't mate. I was in the pub 😂

19. 1 user(s) liked this post
    IDontBeeLieveIt (13th August 2017)
    Joined in Jul 2011
    From Northolt
    8,374 Posts
    It is irritating when he bangs on about us deserving to win when we don't though. We did not deserve to win yesterday.
    They weren't world-beaters and their goals were not "world class" as he's trying to claim.
    If he just acknowledged our issues and said we'd work on them that'd be fine. If he's just doing "media spin" and is different behind closed doors then perhaps that's OK (although I don't like it) but it still worries me that he can't see the issues.
    Egan and Bjelland with their severe lack of pace is an easy thing to exploit, it's exactly what they did and lumped it over our midfield (and fullbacks when they supported attacks), and attacked them repeatedly. At times we were so poor that two of their players up front were causing major problems for five of ours.
    We could have changed it tactically, told Henry and Dalsgaard to sit deeper and attack less, giving Bjelland and Egan more support. Which is not ideal but when playing those two it's probably necessary. Similarly for the defensive/central midfield all looked OK in brief bits but players like McE are particular susceptible to being played round (as he's not quick so just lump it past him and he won't get back in time to help) which compounds the problems we were having at the back.
    As repetitive as he might sound, I'm sure that's what most managers and head coaches do. They are playing the interview. Smith does normally mention what needs addressing .
    Regards to forest, I think they were rubbish too, they looked unorganised with no real plan . But we made so many mistakes and gifted them. Definitely had that feeling and was no surprise every time we got ourselves in it we'd hand another to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauly Paul View Post
    Forgot to mention we experiencing something to the Lampard/Gerrard conundrum. It doesn't always work just playing your best players, they need to have defined roles to make the team function.
    He's got to start playing his best players before that applies though !

Joined in Apr 2000
    From Should be obvious
    5,513 Posts
    1,351 Likes for 764 Posts
    I still can't get my head around why our best CB pairing are sitting on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by jbee View Post
    Seems like overreactions to this match are getting more extreme with every passing hour.
    Not just this match though is it? Was the same as last season too.

Football is a simple game. Score one more than your opponents and you win. It is no good having 99% possession and scoring nothing as you do not know where the goal is, if the opposition in their 1% score the only goal of the match.

We have too much possession where we tippy tap about and achieve nothing. We play too deep, too much and do not mix it up. Any decent opposition scout will say they (we) play deep and out from the back most of the time. Push up and you'll get something eventually. Dean Smith seems oblivious to this and we do the same all of the time. He shows no aptitude to be able to adapt the tactics or style of play. It is the same every match. This suggests to me he does not have any Plan B let alone C or D.

It's no good saying get real it is only 2 matches in. This is the same as we have played since he arrived. He had a very lucky spell in the run in, in 15/16, after a very poor run of displays pre and post Christmas. And last season the Championship was very weak (IMO). This season we will not be as lucky against most of the teams as we were last season. The promoted and relegated teams are probably a lot more accomplished than those they have replaced. And those that are still here will not be as poor when we play themthis season as they were last , i.e. QPR, Reading, Fulham, etc. No good being in a panic after Christmas when it is too late. Smith has shown that neither he nor the team have have progressed since he arrived. So why is he still around? He's had nearly two full years now and I ask myself if we are any further forward than when Warburton left? I would suggest we are not.

But if you are happy with what you continue to see, then your opinion is as valid as mine.
    Last edited by waster; 13th August 2017 at 15:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Kettering Bee View Post
    I still can't get my head around why our best CB pairing are sitting on the bench.

Joined in Jul 2011
    From Northolt
    8,374 Posts

Football is a simple game. Score one more than your opponents and you win. It is no good having 99% possession and scoring nothing as you do not know where the goal is, if the opposition in their 1% score the only goal of the match.

We have too much possession where we tippy tap about and achieve nothing. We play too deep, too much and do not mix it up. Any decent opposition scout will say they (we) play deep and out from the back most of the time. Push up and you'll get something eventually. Dean Smith seems oblivious to this and we do the same all of the time. He shows no aptitude to be able to adapt the tactics or style of play. It is the same every match. This suggests to me he does not have any Plan B let alone C or D.

It's no good saying get real it is only 2 matches in. This is the same as we have played since he arrived. He had a very lucky spell in the run in, in 15/16, after a very poor run of displays pre and post Christmas. And last season the Championship was very weak (IMO). This season we will not be as lucky against most of the teams as we were last season. The promoted and relegated teams are probably a lot more accomplished than those they have replaced. And those that are still here will not be as poor when we play themthis season as they were last , i.e. QPR, Reading, Fulham, etc. No good being in a panic after Christmas when it is too late. Smith has shown that neither he nor the team have have progressed since he arrived. So why is he still around? He's had nearly two full years now and I ask myself if we are any further forward than when Warburton left? I would suggest we are not.

But if you are happy with what you continue to see, then your opinion is as valid as mine.
    All our problems are self-inflicted.. poor decision making by players in key areas on the pitch mixed in with bad luck ( deflections, bounces of post when our shots clipped posts and crossbar). He's given players two games to keep the shirt and his post match comments show that he's going to change the team around due to our squad depth, ( a luxury that he hasn't had in previous seasons).

In terms of his tactics, I agree that he had poor runs but if you blame him for those then you have to give him credit for our wins against Reading, Derby & QPR last season where we played some brilliant football.. If you want to remove DS, who do you want to replace him with? ( genuine curiosity). My feeling is that MB trusts DS and rates him as a coach.. I would've made the same subs as he did.. yesterday maybe 10 mins earlier but we were 2-3 at that point...

I believe that we as a club are much more advanced in terms of squad depth and nous than we were under Warbs.. A lot of teams under-estimated us in our first season of the Championship and we have been given grudging respect thereafter. We have had to rebuild after exits of key players and the fact that we've had successive top 10 finishes is a credit to our recruitment which DS is a part of...

27. 1 user(s) liked this post

I think it's unfair to say we aren't further forward under Smith. We were a surprise package and unknown under Warburton. While exciting and fantastic to watch we were gung ho and naive and failed to beat the better sides.

Last season at times we played some of the best football I've ever witnessed both home and away and showed we could match the very best sides in the division.

Smith needs to sort out his best team and formation as he has an embarrassment of riches and the Jota and Dean situation can't help.

I don't see better coaches who I'd rather have here, the players like and respect him and we're still punching above our weight as the third smallest club in the league.

29. 1 user(s) liked this post
    TeeJayBee (13th August 2017)
    Joined in Jul 2011
    From Northolt
    8,374 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cham View Post
    All our problems are self-inflicted.. poor decision making by players in key areas on the pitch mixed in with bad luck ( deflections, bounces of post when our shots clipped posts and crossbar). He's given players two games to keep the shirt and his post match comments show that he's going to change the team around due to our squad depth, ( a luxury that he hasn't had in previous seasons).

In terms of his tactics, I agree that he had poor runs but if you blame him for those then you have to give him credit for our wins against Reading, Derby & QPR last season where we played some brilliant football.. If you want to remove DS, who do you want to replace him with? ( genuine curiosity). My feeling is that MB trusts DS and rates him as a coach.. I would've made the same subs as he did.. yesterday maybe 10 mins earlier but we were 2-3 at that point...

I believe that we as a club are much more advanced in terms of squad depth and nous than we were under Warbs.. A lot of teams under-estimated us in our first season of the Championship and we have been given grudging respect thereafter. We have had to rebuild after exits of key players and the fact that we've had successive top 10 finishes is a credit to our recruitment which DS is a part of...
    No . No . No. Just no. Your getting in the way of an agenda

Joined in Jul 2011
    From Northolt
    8,374 Posts

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by sonofabee View Post
    I think it's unfair to say we aren't further forward under Smith. We were a surprise package and unknown under Warburton. While exciting and fantastic to watch we were gung ho and naive and failed to beat the better sides.

Last season at times we played some of the best football I've ever witnessed both home and away and showed we could match the very best sides in the division.

Smith needs to sort out his best team and formation as he has an embarrassment of riches and the Jota and Dean situation can't help.

I don't see better coaches who I'd rather have here, the players like and respect him and we're still punching above our weight as the third smallest club in the league.
    And so 17/18 begins

32. Quote Originally Posted by Kettering Bee View Post
    Because the best one is being a tart and trying to feck off to some average championship side(s) for a pay rise.
    The other has made mistakes but probably should have been on (or at least came on) because he's quicker than the others who were being torn to shreds.
    DS doesn't do subs or tactical changes until it's pretty much too late though......

33. 1 user(s) liked this post
    Joined in Aug 2002
    From Sandhurst, Berkshire
    48,132 Posts
    12,952 Likes for 5,667 Posts
    Because the best one is being a tart and trying to feck off to some average championship side(s) for a pay rise.
    The other has made mistakes but probably should have been on (or at least came on) because he's quicker than the others who were being torn to shreds.
    DS doesn't do subs or tactical changes until it's pretty much too late though......
    Eh? At what point in the 5 minutes we conceded 3 goals would you have replaced a centre back?

Thread Information