NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2133 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Bees v Scunthorpe match report

Joined in Aug 2002
    From Sandhurst, Berkshire
    48,126 Posts
    12,940 Likes for 5,664 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthamptonBee View Post
    We could be bullied badly next week.
    Bean will be important next week and I hope that Osborne is back.
    I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Reports are both interesting and a little depressing. Thanks for the time and effort.

I'm going to build a time machine, go back to 1977 and persuade Steve Phillips and Andy McCulloch to come back with me.

werent S****horpe a dirty side .
    Persistant fouling untill the sending off .
    Then they bucked their ideas up.
    You can change your wife but not your football team

Couldn't go today. Looks like I didn't miss much. I do hope Dave's ok and that it was the bug doing the rounds. Now where's that elusive striker .

One of our many home problems, is the way in which we start games. We conceeded possession from the kick off with very poor passing and only a good Lee save averted a disaster.

Our tempo was poor and we were pressurised when on the ball into hoofball. Llera was awful in his distribution today and did not really dominate the ariel battle against an opposition without real height.

We are ponderous in the way we play the ball continually between the back four and then fail with the necessary links with the midfield. When the midfield do get the ball, they invairably choose to go wide and the defence splitting pass to a forward is seldom used.

Today we did get in several good crosses but had no forward in the right place to meet them. When we did actually head towards goal it was always softly towards their keeper who lapped up these gifts with glee.

Clayton Donaldson is played wide to often instead of being trusted to be the centre forward he is and it seems obvious that neither Clarkson or Grella are good enough to be there in support of him.

Uwe needs to look carefully at [B]all[B] of the tactics we are using as they are not working - we can see it, why doesn't he? I suggest he also looks closely at our tactics from throw-ins as these are laughable.

All in all another dose of learning curve for Uwe and increasing worry for the fans.

Joined in Mar 2004
    From Here, there and everywhere......
    4,096 Posts
    1,430 Likes for 721 Posts
    Is it just me is or Llera absolute pants. I thought he had a schocker today and not for the first time. I'd send him packing back to Blackpool. Utter crap
    'Concrete jungle, the animals are after me'

Joined in Apr 2000
    From East Colnbrook but my heart in Dixie
    5,601 Posts
    959 Likes for 548 Posts
    Why cross the ball when we don't have a centre forward

Quote Originally Posted by cheekybee74 View Post
    . Don't get the moaning. Maybe the reason they play better away is because the moaners don't travel, .
    I am sorry but that is utter tripe.

2 goals in 5 home games and 2 home wins all season, this is not down to a few people moaning on a chat room after another dire home performance. There was huge optimism early in the season but home crowds dropping to 4.5K is down to something other than a few moaners. Just for the record, people are entitled to moan after the last 3-4 home games, if you can't moan at that you can't moan at anything.

Pretty poor - getting so used to bad performances at home that I found myself being relieved we'd got a point.
    Could always blame the pitch. What's all this about 140k of repairs being needed? Why didn't the programme explain?

wake me up after 90 mins

boring....predictable... no passion... not far off being back to hoofball god forbid

lerra...a real liability..,no teammates seemed to be able to predict what he was going to do with the ball

koc....not my favourite early season, but stableised things at the back and is getting better and better again

Mcginn.... MOM.... shame he went off.... anyone know what injury

scunny played a predicted passing game ,and were accurate with it, but were crude in contact , and will continue to be punished by refs through season.

Mid place performance .

Joined in May 2007
    From St Marys Twickenham Uni!
    2,750 Posts
    596 Likes for 335 Posts
    I must have watched a different game to everyone else... I thought we played okay not as bad as some are saying. We lacked in the final third for sure but a apart from the shaky first half thought we played okay just lacking killer pass/killer movement by a striker.
    Going to take time for team to be hitting its best form.
    Im more than happy to give Uwe time to get the team playing exactly how he wants it to. Still only 1points from play offs, and 7 from top. Whats to moan about?

I don't know really, maybe I am trying to be a bit more "glass half full" in my old age but to me today was more disappointing than disheartening. We have to remember that we have no divine right to a place in the top 6 (we are 7th btw for anyone who isn't familiar with the league table) . Uwe inherited a squad largely of players not of his choosing who are already under contract and to an extent is having to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I think that for now we have to go with him and try to understand what we are trying to do rather than be too greedy for instant success.

The team selection was almost exactly what I would have picked in the circumstances given injuries and we started the game trying to play at a very high tempo, something that lasted for the whole of the first half. You could argue that there was a bit of a mismatch between Uwe's "be patient for the first goal" plea on the official site and the way we were rushing about taking ultra quick throw ins and free kicks but it was clear we were trying to harry the opposition.

It didn't really work, they were better than their league position and recent form suggested and dirty with it and managed to soak up our pressure without too much of a problem. We then resorted to a more variable game with quite a lot of long balls from the back and the midfield which was unsettled when Dave went off becoming more aloof from the front pair. Hopefully Dave's injury isn't another long term injury because I disagree with those who suggest we have adequate cover there. One of our major problems is that we just don't have enough quality in key positions. That is partly down to having so many players under contract who aren't good enough, partly because we aren't able to compete with the budgets of the likes of Sheff Utd who have signed Phillips and Clarke on loan from Blackpool. To put it bluntly we are still bottom feeders when it comes to acquiring players.

I think we tried bloody hard today, kept trying to play some football at times (even to the extent of too much faffing about ) and this wasn't the complete insomnia inducing performance we saw under Scott so often. I enjoyed the game for much of it but we were huff and puff rather than guile admittedly but kept trying.

This is still work in progress, we have a raft of players who are soon back from injury (Saunders, Logan, Alexander, Forrester) and Uwe is no doubt aware of our deficiencies.

We need to demonstrate some patience as fans and look at the form as a package, home and away which all told has got us to 7th. The home form will come good I'm sure but is less likely to if we turn GP into the sort of place the players fear playing at.

I still think we need a striker or two and I don't think Dave and Douglas can manage the midfield on their own . Bean doesn't cut it for me and I would like to see a lot lot more from the wingers than we saw today. Myles was Myles. Good one minute, pants the next 10 times and McGinn was in and out of the game.

Lots of work to do but we are 7th !!.
    Not in the inner circle so can only give opinion not fact.

Woeful performance against a p*ss poor opposition - ref didnt help he could and
    probably should have sent Dave off for a late high tackle and their player for elbowing Eger in the first half. Allowed them to get away with continual spoiling and fouling.
    Weston wants a rocket up his a*se - if we have fit players I dont expect to see him again in a hurry. Grella came on late but seemed to think we were 1-0 up,
    no urgency, no getting into the box. Mc Ginn should have been the match winner
    but was straved of the ball for large periods of the game. Bean was still on a plane - well off even his normal headless self.
    Sam Wood should have been used before Bean and Grella.
    KOC was extremely solid compared to Thompson who simply looks like a centre half trying to play right back.
    The sooner we get Legge back the better !

Joined in Dec 2007
    From In a house
    1,142 Posts
    0 Likes for 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheerwater Bee View Post
    Is it just me is or Llera absolute pants. I thought he had a schocker today and not for the first time. I'd send him packing back to Blackpool. Utter crap
    Yep, he was pretty toilet today. His hoof down the middle were painful to watch. To think people slagged Legge off

Marcel Eger, on the other hand, was very good and defended very well. I think he was our best player.

Lee made a great save in the 1st minute and another later in the half from a swerving long range shot.

Weston and McGinn both showed glimpses of their undoubted skills, but only sporadically and that meant we didn't build any sustained pressure.

Woodman looked a bit old and Thompson was getting a right old chasing so it was a good move by Uwe to switch KO'C to right back and introduce Bean at half time who was industrious but created little.

Douglas too worked hard but struggled to make an impact on a very robust number 8 and 12.

Poor Clayton Donaldson, what does the guy have to do to get a decent chance or two created in a home game? I can remember only 1 shot which was partially blocked at the edge of the box, no more. He runs his socks off with little support and no reward.

Clarkson? Hmmm. I can't remember him winning a header, but his movement looked pretty good in the first half, dropping off the defence to receive the ball but as has already been said, Liera hoofed it long all the time. The only header I do remember him having he put wide when it looked easier to score.

Grella has some nice touches and I bet he's great in 5-a-sides, but this is 11-a-side 3rd division football which I think he's struggling to come to terms with.

We needed some creativity today and I think Reeves would have made that difference today.

All in all it was a pretty turgid performance, but at least we didn't lose, which is something given our recent home form.

Poor efforts from the strikers today, Donaldson was terrible.

For the stick Llera got today, I just think he's one step ahead of those he was passing to. From where I sat, he played some good balls out into the corners but Weston or McGinn, Weston espcially, rarely read them, didn't chase it and we lost possession.

McGinn was brilliant second half, it's a shame after that first 20 minute spell we decided to stop passing the ball to him. It's typical of us to be on the front-foot, see them go a man down and then not capitalise, not even try to capitalise, but just drop our standards of what was a good opener to the half.

Maybe too many people have got carried away with all Uwe hype and we're all set for a top 6 finish. IMO we're still well away from a top 6 " squad". Today highlighted that we still don't have a goalscorer, there a few very good crosses into the box and as ususal nobody anticpating the ball, the "goalscorer" we were all expecting has not shown up yet.

As for today, as soon as Tourmani went off and O'Connor came on ALL the midfield momentum disappeared, Rosler tried to address this at half time by putting Beano in the middle and O'Connor to RB, and to be fair he did a pretty good job there. If Uwe has to play O'Conner in the team, put him where he's best-RB.............He cannot play in midfield.
    Rosler is making too many mistakes for me and needs to decide on a system / players and stick to it, we're not Man City and do not have enough quality in our squad to rotate every week.

Finally Uwe if you read this.....can you sort out what we do at corners ?
    Football is not a matter of life or death, it's more important than that.

Joined in Oct 2008
    From Kingston-Upon-Thames
    3,971 Posts
    847 Likes for 509 Posts
    No drive, direction, passion or quality, it was awful. Our defence looks awful, Scunny should have scored 2 after 10 minutes and would of done if they had the quality of Huddersfield, we are simply not good enough. Where was Osborne? Why was Donaldson playing out wide left again when it has not worked on countless occassions now? It looked like they had all just met in the park and decided to form a team, they were strangers on the pitch. Eger in fairness made some good interceptions but his time at BFC is limited imo, not good enough or physical enough. Liera just pumped 50 yard balls to the opposition, Clarkson - did he do anything worthy of note. Middle of the table on this form I am afraid. Oh yes and what happened to the entertainment, don't think MB could have been too impressed with today.
    It was just one of those things....

I have said it before and i will say it again: we are in sh1t. We have no decent strikers, and an apprentice manager. OK - he tries hard and has brought in some decent players, but we are a fvcking long way from being a promotion side. Worse, we are rapidly losing the crowd, and if we get in excess of 4500 for our next home game (so disinterested right now i cant even be bothered to check. Stevenage, yes?) i will be v surpsitred. The rose-tinted brigade will tell you that it is 'work in progress' and that we are 'going in the right dirextion'. Well if the right direction is mid-table obscurity, then you're spot on. But if i was MB, i'd be looking for a seriously bigger bang for my buck.

Nothing new from the last home game, still two strikers and creative midfielder needed. Clarkson and Grella will be lucky to get 5 goals between them this season. Another home performance like that and we could be under 4,000 soon. Without doubt the least enjoyable game for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingston Bee View Post
    No drive, direction, passion or quality, it was awful. Our defence looks awful, Scunny should have scored 2 after 10 minutes and would of done if they had the quality of Huddersfield, we are simply not good enough. Where was Osborne? Why was Donaldson playing out wide left again when it has not worked on countless occassions now? It looked like they had all just met in the park and decided to form a team, they were strangers on the pitch. Eger in fairness made some good interceptions but his time at BFC is limited imo, not good enough or physical enough. Liera just pumped 50 yard balls to the opposition, Clarkson - did he do anything worthy of note. Middle of the table on this form I am afraid. Oh yes and what happened to the entertainment, don't think MB could have been too impressed with today.
    And i would like to point out that i had not read this before i did my post. But i agree with it 100%.

Very frustrated after the performance and result today. Was expecting a tough game but felt if we played the way we know we can and have seen before we will win. Yes we passed the ball but not as good as we can do and have done, we were slow at doing it and not making runs, slow at switching the play and players not looking like they were putting 100% in, having read UR interview seems the players were put through extra training hence being tired and explaining three players had cramp.
    Llera had a awful game. Cant wait for a fully fit Osborne and Legge to return.
    Once I saw Dave was being subbed I thought this is going to be even tougher now as we lost our driving force in the centre of the park. Dave also played really well before going off injured. Cramp? He went close to scoring and was very unlucky.
    Douglas was quiet. Hes not playing to the best of his ability at the moment.
    Their number 8, should have seen red for what looked like a stamp or kick out on Eger.
    Thomson subbed, cramp? Tactical?
    Try starting Grella maybe?
    They were an organised team but werent all that and now that 5 home games 2 scored and only 2 points gained.
    My view is that the team are free to play away but at home today I heard losts of negativity and not much support for the players, I couldnt believe it. People shouting at Clarkson that he cant be a professional footballer! Hes out theres playing for Brentford get behind him, SUPPORT him and the rest of the players. I travel to away games and you never see anything like that being heard, only 100% backing for each and every player. Coincidence?

'Kin awful today. Liera has to be shipped out. To all the team....don't pass the ball so bloody hard to each other!!!!!!! Ridiculous amount of over hit balls straight out for a goal kick, this is basic stuff. Amazing amount of crosses that came to nothing.

A scrappy gane against a crude industrial team. The ref is clearly a fan of thuggish football. The fourth official had very clear views of some apalling S****horpe fouls - didn't look like he was remotely interested.

We started badly, defence totally disorganised and we should have been two down in the first ten minutes - well done Richard Lee for that save forty seconds into the match, followed by a dreadfull miss by S****horpe ten minutes later.

WE created two half chances in the whole first half and were lucky to go in at half time on level terms.

Things improved second half, KOC steadied the defence when he moved to right back but even though we huffed and puffed we created relatively few good chances and didn't really worry their keeper. No-one was in the box to meet crosses when they came, we were often second to the ball in midfield, and although we put in more effort our passing remained poor.

We gave away possession very cheaply - Llera being particularly wasteful - and I don't think we have the skill in the side to play the passing football Uwe wants to play.

There are plenty of sides that play the S****horpe play (mostly better than S****horpe) and we have to work out a way to beat sides like this if we are to finish top six or seven.

McGinn (my MoM) looked the only danger to S****horpe - Donaldson worked hard , had a lousy service from midfield and sometimes held the ball well but didn't look a danger.

Pretty depressing stuff.
    Once a Bee..........

Just read Uwe's comments and you have to give the guy a lot of credit for accepting that things didn't go as planned and maybe he overtrained the players or got his tactics wrong. Didn't get any of that before did we and it's one reason why Uwe will bring us success.

Joined in Oct 2008
    From Kingston-Upon-Thames
    3,971 Posts
    847 Likes for 509 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebopalula View Post
    Just read Uwe's comments and you have to give the guy a lot of credit for accepting that things didn't go as planned and maybe he overtrained the players or got his tactics wrong. Didn't get any of that before did we and it's one reason why Uwe will bring us success.
    Yes, every week a different storey....
    It was just one of those things....

Thread Information