NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2133 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Bees v Scunthorpe match report

FFS,

We're an injury ravaged side with only 13 league games together who aren't playing as well as we can and we're in 7th position. God help us if we were in Orients position.

2. Poor today in my view. I can barely remember a decent chance, not good at home against 10 men for most of the second half. Donaldson isolated for most of the game, seemed to throw in the towel. Llera abysmal--distribution, touch, awareness all lacking. Woodman constantly giving possession away. Credit to Richard Lee for a couple of smart saves without which we'd have been beaten again, could have played til 8 without scoring. McGinn our only performer, a couple of quality balls but no one on the end. Way short for a team with aspirations of promotion. Can only hope things improve with the return of the absentees.

Poor first half where S****horpe should have been 2 up in the first ten minutes. Both central defenders showed lack of pace and Llera distribution was woeful. We try to play the passing game but lack the the quickness to move the ball and invariably get caught in possession or pass backwards. There was an improvement in the 2nd half but we failed to get any strikers in the dangerous positions for crosses and when we did the finishing was below standard.

I am beginning to wonder whether the constant changes in the team selection may have some influence on our inconsistency. However, I do accept that injuries haven't helped.

It's a pity I can't get to the away games 13 out of 18 points. I won't mention the HOME TALLY!!!!

Back to normality at GP
    After the scintillating performance we all enjoyed against Charlton it was back to normal at GP. Rosler setting the team up to play a standard 4-4-2 system which should make for more opportunities and create a more attacking performance. Unfortunately there was little evidence of this in the first 17/18 mins of the game and it was only due to the strong wrists of Lee in goal that prevented S****horpe taking an early lead, in point of fact whilst neither side during this period really created a lot there was no doubt that S****horpe looked the team most likely.
    During this period and in fact throughout the game we saw a player have an outstanding game, good headers, well timed blocks, calm on the ball, good with distribution, always available as an outlet and producer of one of the finest tackles I have seen when the Scunny forward ran into the box, our player stayed on his feet and much to the surprise of the forward took the ball off his feet. Take a bow Mr Egar, after the horror show against Huddrsfield today we all witnessed what Rosler has seen in him, if his future games replicate today’s then Karleigh and Leon will be having a battle to get their places back.
    Whilst mentioning Egar it seems a good time to review the performances of the other defenders, Woodman was consistent throughout at LB against a very fast and tricky winger, he remained composed throughout and also managed to overlap on a number of occasions, a return to the performances of last season. Llera good in the air excellent in the tackle and absolutely woeful with his long range distribution, almost compounded late in the game when he fell over instead of clearing the ball, fortunately Kevin and marcel resolved the problem. This just leaves Thompson.....well we have had Woodman having a mare then Adams and today it was Thompson who compounded his errors by failing to be aware and track back, a half time substitution which came as little surprise to anyone.
    A niggly game came alive for the Bees after Thompson was sent flying into the boards after the ball had gone out of play, this seemed to be a collective wakeup call for the team and led to an extensive period of pressure when, if we had played the right pass, should have led to a goal, instead the best we could come up with was a header from Douglas that was cleared off the line.
    As the half meandered onwards Dave indicated he had a problem and was changed with the ever reliable Kevin, useful as he could help out with Thompson but added little to our attacking options and the game just plodded on towards half time. General impression around the ground being that “something was missing” problem was nobody could actually put their finger on what!!!
    At half time Marcus replaced Kev in midfield whilst Kev filled the right back berth and for the rest of the game he did an excellent job nullifying their trick winger. With Bean in midfield this should improve our attacking alternatives however it has to be said that the second half started in pretty much the same format, lots of effort, some niggly fouls but little creativity. McGinn was causing the Scunny defence a right old time, although little was coming from it, and eventually their No 2 fouled him in front the lino, looked a foul but not malicious however his reaction was so over the top he managed to get booked for it!! Unfortunately for him he followed this some 10 mins later with a foul on Myles, just about deserved a booking. However Myles must have been watching MoTD recently as his rolling round on the deck was impressive to say the least, surely a broken leg??? Result a second yellow, Myles jumping to his feet and Scunny down to 10 men. Have to say not impressed with the theatrics nor those of Marcel in the first half who took a palm in his face and reacted as if there was a sniper in the ground, (message to Uve, this needs to be cut out)
    With 10 men we should have been able to carve out the S****horpe defence and McGinn seemed to be on a one man crusade to do just that!! At least we were on the front foot and Clarkson had a great chance to score, first time if he had anticipated he could have just slid the ball into the empty net then from the following pin point cross he glanced his header wide of the posts, shortly followed by his replacement with Grella coming on.
    Full marks to Rosler for trying to change things, can’t remember when we last made 3 unforced subs. However in my opinion (and I have been known to be wrong.....not often!!) he took the wrong forward off. Clarkson had been industrious throughout the game at both ends of the pitch and looked the only forward likely to have any impact. (Although has to be said not brilliant) Donaldson for his part had in my opinion an awful game. He has strength, pace and power yet none were on show today. A few weeks ago I wrote that he had just played the perfect C/F role showing all his attributes and holding up the ball to let others play off him, Today none of that was evident and if I were Rosler I would be a tad worried that my prime striker is not producing the goods. Today whilst obviously not the case. He actually looked disinterested never anticipating and pretty much always on the back foot.
    As the game went its merry way to oblivion both sides huffed and puffed, a shot from Scunny that swerved and left Lee scrambling a slip by Llera let in the Scunny forward however problem resolved by Marcel and Kev whilst at the other end we ended up with the Scunny forward outside his box with 3 of his defenders behind him all trying to clear the ball as the Brentford players tried to get a kick in.
    Eventually the ref put everyone out of their misery and blew for full time, few boos but in general bemused as to what had been witnessed.
    Easy to be critical but at least let’s have a look at the positives, today at home we did not concede and were not beaten, Egar showed what he might be for us, Mcginn showed that he is better class but the lack of final ball is perhaps why he is here for a year, Douglas had some surging runs and Kev did a first class job at RB. Negatives/ well fairly obvious for all to see we still have not found a goal scorer, Clarkson worked hard and should have scored, Donaldson did not work as hard and showed little likelihood of scoring, perhaps summed up by the fact that at the end of the game Bean was furthest forward!!
    Lots of work for Uve this week with a tough game against our old boy next week, however whilst generally I am perceived to be a glass empty sort of person I could at least see some positives, we are still trying to play football and after recent home results will accept a point as a stepping stone for the future. I also believe that Scunny should not be underestimated, Ok they were relegated but they still have Championship players and showed today they have pace skill and more importantly can dish it out, a few things we perhaps need to learn.
    So yet again 2 steps forward and 1 back but it is an improvement, we have no divine right to be at the top of the table but at present I am happier where we are than those at the bottom, we have illness within the camp and still have players on the injured list, when all fit Uve has greater options and we can see the likes of Forrester controlling the game for us so whilst 3 points would have been welcome today 1 point is better than none and might just be the turning point in our home form this season.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofabee View Post
    FFS,

We're an injury ravaged side with only 13 league games together who aren't playing as well as we can and we're in 7th position. God help us if we were in Orients position.
    i'll have what youre drinking

put it this way, the way orient are doing at the moment and the way we are at home, give it a month and theyll be above us

truely dismal today and no excuses.....weve got a massive squad and some of em just arent good enough.........leira or whatever his name is.....get rid and quick....absolute crap

the only ones to deserve their wages today were mcginn and lee....the rest should be in for early training tomorrow morning.....uwe needs to sort this out asap or im afraid a change may be required....it just aint good enough and we're only 7th tonite cos a lot of the other teams had a bad day........i expect a lot better and i think most who go to gp do too
    don't worry, I always know best ;)

Off Colour and Off Target

Scunny came to GP this afternoon with not a clean sheet to their name all season, so Uwe's Bees having been troubled with sickness in training this week will be 'pig sick' that they didn't trouble the leaky Scunny defence more often today.

Only 30 seconds in and from a corner, Duffy their centre forward headed straight towards a startled Lee from 8 yards out who slapped it out, like a man being woken from his slumber, the defence were napping but Richard was fortunately alert! Good stop early on

10 minutes later, Scunny cut through again down the right and Norwood rushing in from the left as the spare man sidefooted gapingly over. 2 chances before the quarter hour mark and Uwe looked hot and wide eyed sipping on his water bottle probably hoping it contained something stronger!

Llera had a header from a corner headed off the line, but it was pretty tame stuff from the Bees, as Toumani was subbed and replaced by KOC on the half hour with sickness. With Diagouraga to the sidelines so went the Bees creative outlet. We passed, but not with the verve and movement of our Charlton triumph, it was pass and stop, rather than pass and move, save for one mazy 40 yard McGinn run down the middle that ended with a palm away from his 20 yard shot by the Scunny keeper and a left footed flier from Clarkson that went just over. Llera had a mare, clumsy and his radar out of kilter as his pinged passes became orbital hoofs and lumps towards Kew Bridge and threatened to find us in the stands before a red and white shirt.

Thompson our right back who looked out of sorts was replaced at h/t with Bean comng into the middle and KOC reverting to right back. Solid enough. But Scunny were living up to he name 'Iron' in the tackle, crude and bullying. Foul after foul broke up play, referee East waving arms like a teacher not in control of unruly pupils as Scunny bent the rules of fair play to their advantage. Eger felt his jaw, Douglas an ankle, Clayton pushed to the floor time and again as 'late' was the word of the day muttered on New Road :mad1:

McGinn our cleverest footballer, weaved away on the right and presented a low cross to be put away, Clarkson a yard too slow, Woodman chased the overflow and put in the cross of the afternoon, Clarkson flicked a header a yard too wide of the right hand post, said it all really, a yard too slow and a yard too wide today. Uwe snarled and Clarkson barked back, 5 minutes later Grella had his chance as he replaced the Scot.

Douglas tried gamely to move himself and the game forward but often he picked the ball up 20yards inside his own half, Scunny niggled and blocked and finally Wright their No.2 kicked Weston aerial leaving Myles in a heap. An inevitable long walk and the red card shown. The final 20 minutes was played out with the Bees in possession but apart from a couple of high crosses taken by the keeper and a Bean header straight at Johnstone, and a sharp save by Lee at the feet of a breakaway attack, a nil nil flattered both sides, the game wasn't that good. The best thing said about this game is that both sides got a point out of it, as the paying public got less than that.

Uwe needs to work on Clayton. Donaldson is regressing with each performance, as the teams inconsistency becomes consistent, Clayton looks like a man not enjoying his football and its painful to watch as his chances become fewer and fewer. Douglas was bright and McGinn at times looks like he plays for fun and should be playing on a higher plain. But we are struggling against the bullies of this league, we need an element of spice and nastiness in the team to cope in this division and at the moment at home Uwe's nice guys are off colour and off target.

Pass and move is Rosler's mantra and we are all for that but a new phrase of "you shoot you score" may make the home games a better watch than they are at present.

If the Scunny keeper had worn a top hat today it wouldn't have fallen off. Surely we ought to at least try to take the game to the opposition when at home. We are in dire need of a CF. Clarkson works hard but it's not working. Felt as though both teams were happy with a point from the outset. Give Uwe his due I thought the changes he made at half time worked. KO was excellent and closed down Scunny's only threat with ease. Understand the reasons for the family day. Have to say for those of you old enough to remember it was like Saturday morning pictures where I was sitting. The kids were driving me nuts. Time to join the Ealing road clan I think. I see the markings on the pitch are getting deeper. They're starting to resemble fault lines. Suspect we'll put a superb performance in at Notts county next week. Hopefully we'll take plenty of support, it ain't that far.

Pretty bloody awful, no skill, no chances taken, not a lot of passion either. Why do people wonder why nobody turns up these days? Our home record is shocking, not only for the actual results but for the gutless performances. Oh well it's not anyone's fault, apparently now we've all got flu. Must have been a pretty strong strain, because we now have the record of being the only team not to score against Scunny for 24 games! For how long now have we been toothless up front? Uwe is a nice guy, but so was Fozzy. We should and could of done so much better in the summer.
    Last edited by Davee; 15th October 2011 at 22:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingston Bee View Post
    Why was Donaldson playing out wide left again when it has not worked on countless occassions now? .
    He wasn't. He was playing up front and him and clarkson took it in turns to drop deeper to give the extra man in the middle. Weston played on the left and occasionally swapped with Mcginn.
    I am very critical of some of things I saw today but lets keep it real.

Quote Originally Posted by aitch12 View Post
    If the Scunny keeper had worn a top hat today it wouldn't have fallen off. .
    That sentence has made my day

thank you.

Thought we played well passed it about nicely and hD clarkson taken his chances we would have been saying what a great performance it was

A very dull day both on and off the field.Another poor attendance doesn't help the dire atmosphere in the ground.Would have started KOC alongside Douglas today although l dont think our problem is the forwards not getting enough service.I dont get the sympathy for Donaldson,who l thought was poor today and the flack Clarkson gets who l thought worked a darn sight more than Donaldson.we put in enough balls into dangerous areas but there was no one anticipating or reading them.Would like to see Grella start a game especially now Clarkson looks like returning to BC. Roll on next week where we will hopefully turn over Notts County

-Poor crowd once again. Unfortunately, I can understand why.
    -Poor home performance yet again. We never look dangerous from either set pieces or open play.
    -Can understand there was a problem with illnes but in this day & age (sports scientists!) we admit to over-training. I'm sorry, that's unforgivable.
    -Couldn't believe how few shots on target we had
    -Thank god for Richard Lee
    -Really disheartened
    -Really really disheartened. Two home games on the trot when I wanted to be anywhere else than sat at the back of New Rd. Some can see some positives from this. I'm struggling to share the optimisim.

Joined in Jan 2010
    From High Wycombe, Bucks
    1,691 Posts
    334 Likes for 211 Posts
    So frustrating today, we looked absolutely knackered when we should have won this game.

First half was woeful, and Dagnall looked half decent.
    Second half was better, created many 'if only' chances, flashing across the box, with nobody on the end of them.
    The less said about Llera the better, his distribution is absolutely shocking, and when a random shouted DON'T PANIC when he got the ball, he tapped it out of play instead of to Woodman.
    Says it all really.

Players feeling sorry for themselves, what appeared to be a very tired and injured side. A point is a point, and we are 7th but the home form is worrying.

Joined in Jul 2000
    From Leamington Spa
    667 Posts
    144 Likes for 45 Posts
    :mad1:Frustrating today but we're still seventh.
    Is it just me or do others keep coming away from Griffin Park with an empty feeling?
    Previously we've had players who maybe weren't as good technically as the current crop that Uwe has brought in, but what they lacked in skill they more than made up for with b******s.
    Now if we go a goal behind I don't really get the feeling that we'll salvage anything and that is a worry for me.
    Surprised people are sniping at Donaldson - for me he's the best centre forward we've had for years but he needs someone to play off and a creative midfielder to supply.
    McGinn was the only threat today but both he and Weston did put in some decent crosses.
    However when they came in we had people on their back foot, jumping from standing and basically not bombing into the key areas.
    How many times did crosses go to the back post with no one coming in from deep to attack the ball?
    You need strikers going near, middle and far post but that isn't happening at the moment....not sure if that's the personnel.
    I do think we need someone small and quick to play off Dionaldson but if Schlupp is a non starter (as looks likely now) we need to look elsewhere.
    Quite worried by today - I lost count of the times Llera gave the ball away and invited them back onto us.
    Equally though I'm sick and tired of watching atrocious referees ruin games...today's was a joke, even sending their bloke off after blowing for an earlier foul.
    The number of shoves, lunges and gamesmanship incidents that go unpunished week in, week out is really hampering our rhythm at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Benn View Post
    A very dull day both on and off the field.Another poor attendance doesn't help the dire atmosphere in the ground.Would have started KOC alongside Douglas today although l dont think our problem is the forwards not getting enough service.I dont get the sympathy for Donaldson,who l thought was poor today and the flack Clarkson gets who l thought worked a darn sight more than Donaldson.we put in enough balls into dangerous areas but there was no one anticipating or reading them.Would like to see Grella start a game especially now Clarkson looks like returning to BC. Roll on next week where we will hopefully turn over Notts County
    That'll be interesting. Of course to most on here MA is a 'Joke', never to return, or now nowhere good enough for Brentford, whereas Uwe is somehow via 'emperors clothes' some kind of tactical genius. And they say the table never lies.

Joined in Oct 2001
    From Camberley Surrey
    13,529 Posts
    1,764 Likes for 624 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LingfieldBee View Post
    I must have watched a different game to everyone else... I thought we played okay not as bad as some are saying. We lacked in the final third for sure but a apart from the shaky first half thought we played okay just lacking killer pass/killer movement by a striker.
    Going to take time for team to be hitting its best form.
    Im more than happy to give Uwe time to get the team playing exactly how he wants it to. Still only 1points from play offs, and 7 from top. Whats to moan about?
    The only thing you got right in your post was that you watched a different game.... We were absolute tripe.
    New Fanzine Out Soon - Unless Bristol City put a Bid in for it

My 2 games this season at GP have been Tranmere and today. Both a load of old tosh.

That said I am happy at us being 1 point outside the play offs at this stage in the season.
    Est. Since 1976

Quote Originally Posted by sonofabee View Post
    FFS,

We weren't very good though?

Uwe's doing OK in my book. Needs to release a few to bring in a few. 2 good forwards
    RiP;Allwright,Gould,Greechan,Hagan,Kennedy,Littler Purver,Robotham,Saunders,Shields,Walker

20. We certainly miss Logan ,Legge and Reeves when are we going to get a centre forward that can head the ball and be a danger and pressurise defenses.It is very surprising that Uwe an ex forward hasn't managed to sign a gem of a forward.Todays game was the type of game Sam Wood should have been brought on to raise the tempo and offer a bit of bite and spirit.

The most worrying thing for me is the lack of tenacity, the lack of drive, the lack of will to win.

Good teams (Huddersfield) have the spirit and ability whilst poor teams (S****horpe) have the work rate and fight to nullify us

The football is actually pretty good in places but it won't get us where we need/want to be without application

Why is anyone surprised by our home form? Im really struggling to think of a worse home vocal support then ours. GP is a soft touch for away teams & fans who totally take over every week. If someone dares to get out of their seat to cry COME ON YOU REDS the shouts of SIT DOWN easily drown it out, look at yourself before you slate the players!
    Last edited by BeesBloke; 16th October 2011 at 02:26.

23. So why was our home form so good not so long ago? Same fans, same GP...........or maybe those dugouts are to blame!

The highlight for the crowd yesterday was the family fancy dress competition, and I hope BeesBloke did not keep standing up in front of the judges to cry COME ON YOU REDS. No wonder there were shouts at him to SIT DOWN! At least Uwe, had a clear view, and you could see from the injury related drinks break in the second half that he was giving the fancy dress prize to Clarkson for dressing up as a goalscoring forward at GP................he awarded him his prize 5 minutes later.

Thought we did ok to be honest. I think S****horpe are a lot better side than their position suggests. Nice to see Lee playing a lot of short balls. Felt sorry for llera as every time he got the ball to his feet second half apart from Douglas no one came short resulting in him always looking long. People who say we are poor etc etc I don't know what game you were watching overall I felt it was a positive performance given injuries. And typical Brentford fans after the sending off getting on the teams back everytime they didn't go long and creating a nervous atmosphere that clearly effected how we played. Same fans that wanted Scott out for long ball I guess? Another day clarkson would of put one of his chances away and I'd guess 99% of peoples view on the performance would drastically change. I think we are gradually becoming a top 6 team.

Joined in Apr 2000
    From the dug out
    20,373 Posts
    187 Likes for 85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeesBloke View Post
    Why is anyone surprised by our home form? Im really struggling to think of a worse home vocal support then ours. GP is a soft touch for away teams & fans who totally take over every week. If someone dares to get out of their seat to cry COME ON YOU REDS the shouts of SIT DOWN easily drown it out, look at yourself before you slate the players!
    Whilst we are never the most vocal supporters at home I thought the atmosphere was quite good on Saturday, especially from the Ealing road.

It certainly wasn't a game where I will file away for a "match to remember" but hovering just outside the play offs in October is something I would have taken in August.

Getting our injured players back will provide a bigger boost than we all think. There are some key players not fit at present.
    http://www.twitter.com/markbfc

Thread Information