NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1977 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Team against Bournemouth

If Eger is fit he should play alongside Osborn!

Moore
    Thompson Pim Osborne Bidwell
    Saunders Douglas Bean Forrester
    Forshaw
    Weston

The future's bright, the future's Brentford !

Joined in Apr 2000
    From East Colnbrook but my heart in Dixie
    5,595 Posts
    953 Likes for 545 Posts
    Don't know where to post this but good luck tonight to all of you going. Play with pride.

For all the concern about CD, he has to play today imo.

I just can't see a Berahino/German combination doing anything, & as for a 4-5-1 with either of them acting as a lone front man - help!!!!!!!!!!

We could get lucky, I guess, but it would be TREMENDOUSLY lucky imo.

The team's performance will be really intersting. Let's hope that they show real fighting spirit, win or lose . If they don't we could be in real trouble.

You know I have almost got to the stage where I dont really care what the team is. I just would like him to field 11 players who actually give a stuff and definitely not including that lazy **** from north of the border!

Joined in Sep 2005
    From Camden
    567 Posts
    149 Likes for 64 Posts
    Would like to see us go for this one, and preferably with our own contracted players. Something along the lines of

Lee

Logan Legge Osborne Bidwell

Douglas

Saunders Weston/Dave

Forrester

Donaldson Saido

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    For all the concern about CD, he has to play today imo...
    That's the problem - we don't really have options. The injury situation means that we have options at full back and 'keeper but through the middle and up front it's really perm any you like.
    When the wind of change blows some build walls, others build windmills...

Lee
    Logan Osborne Eager Bidwell
    Dean
    Saunders Douglas Forshaw Forrester
    Beranio

Thats presuming those players are fit

Subs Moore, German Thompson Dave, Reeves Donaldson,

Feel Leon needs a rest Dean can play in front of back 4 and with Thompson is cover for any defensive injuries, Dave and Reeves are cover for midfield and can facilitate any changes whilst German and Clayton are to change things up front. Cant see it happening but do beleive some shake up is required.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

I'm not usually a fan of radical team changes, but given that only Bury have picked up fewer points than us since the turn of the year I think they need to be made. I don't care how we play as long as we're winning games, so we need to decide whether it's a passing game or a more direct approach. Right now we're attempting a passing game, but not knowing our best formation and constantly changing personnel means that it's very hard to bed this in. Throw in the fact that we arguably have only one in-form striker (Berahino), who would probably struggle to play upfront on his own, and there's no surprise we're in poor form.

With all this in mind and the fact a few players need to be taken out the side, the team I'd select is a little unorthodox. I think we should try to develop the passing game and with our lack of strikers, I think it would make sense to adopt the system Barcelona have played earlier this season (often with Fabregas "upfront") for tonight's game. It's a big change and it would require practice, but fits the players' strengths well and would help us to keep the ball better whilst remaining defensively solid. Also Bournemouth tend to play it on the deck, so it's a good place to trial it.

So this is the line-up I'd choose (assuming Eger, Weston and Saunders all fit): http://this11.com/boards/abCj8Ttacs.jpg

> Moore has done well but Lee should come back in, hopefully refreshed and in better form
    > I haven't been too impressed with Logan's defending recently, so bringing in Thompson will hopefully make us more solid defensively
    > Legge is a really good player but his recent form has been poor, so Osborne to come back in
    > Dean has great potential but has been costing us points, so Eger to play if fit
    > Bidwell to continue at left-back
    > Diagouraga has been a passenger too often recently, so I'd move Dean into a link role between defence and midfield - he's good on the ball and can drop into defence when necessary to allow Thompson and Bidwell to push on and attack as wing-backs
    > Douglas and Forshaw in the middle, though Forshaw needs to impress otherwise we might as well bring Reeves back in to develop him for next season
    > Donaldson advanced on the right, as we need height in the team, plus with his lack of goals we ought to stop persisting with him as a centre-forward for now and see if he can make an impact from out wide (no more long throws though!)
    > Weston advanced on the left - his recent cameo performance against Sheff United was very positive and hopefully he can get back to his best in this attacking role
    > Forrester in a false striker role, where he can link with midfield and press the defence whilst not playing an out-and-out forward role, which should get the best out of him

On the bench I'd choose: Moore, Legge, Diagouraga, Saunders, Berahino

I think Berahino has been playing well (when in the correct position), but I don't think he can play upfront on his own and our only option to partner him is Donaldson, whom I wouldn't want to continue with in a centre-forward role for now.

If Weston isn't fit then I'd play Saunders (swapping Donaldson to the left). If both aren't fit then McGinn (reluctantly) to start. If Eger isn't fit then I'd start with Legge.

Probably far too radical, but it's what I'd do for tonight!
    Last edited by alexcavell; 20th March 2012 at 14:23.

uwe plans radical changes...wonder what they are?

Joined in Apr 2000
    From East Colnbrook but my heart in Dixie
    5,595 Posts
    953 Likes for 545 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alexcavell View Post
    I'm not usually a fan of radical team changes, but given that only Bury have picked up fewer points than us since the turn of the year I think they need to be made. I don't care how we play as long as we're winning games, so we need to decide whether it's a passing game or a more direct approach. Right now we're attempting a passing game, but not knowing our best formation and constantly changing personnel means that it's very hard to bed this in. Throw in the fact that we arguably have only one in-form striker (Berahino), who would probably struggle to play upfront on his own, and there's no surprise we're in poor form.

With all this in mind and the fact a few players need to be taken out the side, the team I'd select is a little unorthodox. I think we should try to develop the passing game and with our lack of strikers, I think it would make sense to adopt the system Barcelona have played earlier this season (often with Fabregas "upfront") for tonight's game. It's a big change and it would require practice, but fits the players' strengths well and would help us to keep the ball better whilst remaining defensively solid. Also Bournemouth tend to play it on the deck, so it's a good place to trial it.

So this is the line-up I'd choose (assuming Eger, Weston and Saunders all fit): http://this11.com/boards/abCj8Ttacs.jpg

> Moore has done well but Lee should come back in, hopefully refreshed and in better form
    > I haven't been too impressed with Logan's defending recently, so bringing in Thompson will hopefully make us more solid defensively
    > Legge is a really good player but his recent form has been poor, so Osborne to come back in
    > Dean has great potential but has been costing us points, so Eger to play if fit
    > Bidwell to continue at left-back
    > Diagouraga has been a passenger too often recently, so I'd move Dean into a link role between defence and midfield - he's good on the ball and can drop into defence when necessary to allow Thompson and Bidwell to push on and attack as wing-backs
    > Douglas and Forshaw in the middle, though Forshaw needs to impress otherwise we might as well bring Reeves back in to develop him for next season
    > Donaldson advanced on the right, as we need height in the team, plus with his lack of goals we ought to stop persisting with him as a centre-forward for now and see if he can make an impact from out wide (no more long throws though!)
    > Weston advanced on the left - his recent cameo performance against Sheff United was very positive and hopefully he can get back to his best in this attacking role
    > Forrester in a false striker role, where he can link with midfield and press the defence whilst not playing an out-and-out forward role, which should get the best out of him

On the bench I'd choose: Moore, Legge, Diagouraga, Saunders, Berahino

I think Berahino has been playing well (when in the correct position), but I don't think he can play upfront on his own and our only option to partner him is Donaldson, whom I wouldn't want to continue with in a centre-forward role for now.

If Weston isn't fit then I'd play Saunders (swapping Donaldson to the left). If both aren't fit then McGinn (reluctantly) to start. If Eger isn't fit then I'd start with Legge.

Probably far too radical, but it's what I'd do for tonight!
    Excellent and well thought thru.

Thread Information