Yehor Yarmoliuk

Yehor Yarmoliuk

I think this lad is my favourite of the current lot.

It started in his run in defensive midfield at the end of last season, when TF changed things up a little and he was utterly fantastic.

And since then, he's blossomed. A sensational defensive midfielder. His workrate is class, his positioning is excellent, and he rarely gives the ball away. Allows the rest of the team to play.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

I think this lad is my favourite of the current lot.

It started in his run in defensive midfield at the end of last season, when TF changed things up a little and he was utterly fantastic.

And since then, he's blossomed. A sensational defensive midfielder. His workrate is class, his positioning is excellent, and he rarely gives the ball away. Allows the rest of the team to play.
Totally agree but I think there is a lot more to come from him yet though, he has learned a lot from playing alongside Henderson earlier in the season, the only thing missing really is the odd goal or 2 from him
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

Totally agree but I think there is a lot more to come from him yet though, he has learned a lot from playing alongside Henderson earlier in the season, the only thing missing really is the odd goal or 2 from him
I’d hope that we can recruit an oven-ready №6 who will allow him to become more of a box-to-box player. That will give him more rein to get goals.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

He has a lot of potential but there is certainly plenty of space to fill in some gaps in his game. Doesn't offer much anything getting forward which is a surprise to me due to how technically sound he tends to be, but he developed a lot this year. I think that I agree with @jlove here that he is best paired with another 6. He has so much energy and physicality that being able to let him loose in the midfield to chase the ball makes him a better player. I almost look at him like what we had hoped Onyeka would turn into. Strong, fast, minimal fouls, etc. But I think he can grow to be much more.

After playing next to Henderson helped him grow this past year, the player I would love to see him start to model his game after a little more this season would be Janelt.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

I’d hope that we can recruit an oven-ready №6 who will allow him to become more of a box-to-box player. That will give him more rein to get goals.
Konak was getting good feedback from Oxford, obviously Championship and a relegated side, but our loan team and data analysts will have the necessary data to analyse his progress. If that combined with pre season training indicates he can step up this coming season, then as an understudy to Vitaly initially maybe the answer without dipping into the transfer market. I worry about Yehor's lack of goal potential playing in a more advanced role, an area that none of the midfield excelled in last season.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

Konak was getting good feedback from Oxford, obviously Championship and a relegated side, but our loan team and data analysts will have the necessary data to analyse his progress. If that combined with pre season training indicates he can step up this coming season, then as an understudy to Vitaly initially maybe the answer without dipping into the transfer market. I worry about Yehor's lack of goal potential playing in a more advanced role, an area that none of the midfield excelled in last season.
I doubt Konak is ready to be thrown into the bear-pit of the Premier League but I’d expect him to get game time as the season progresses. Vitaly is not really a №6 but he gives it a good go, he's box-to-box and that’s also where I see Yehor… but both need to be paired with a 6.

If we’re serious about deepening the strength of the squad we should be closing in on a target – it’s a weakness. As I wrote earlier, having that player in front of the defence releases his sidekick to get forward to support the attack, it would shift the whole team forward a few metres.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

Vitaly is not really a №6 but he gives it a good go, he's box-to-box
Funny but TF once said we signed Vitaly as an 8 but he felt he had developed more as a 6. I suppose since we have a relatively small transfer/wage budget in top ten Premier League terms it depends where the management team feel our priorities lay in the transfer market.
A combination of Vitaly, Yehor, Hickey and possibly Konak could be seen as covering the defensive midfield area for next season? Also depends on the formation that KA feels is the way forward, which may only require one 6 as opposed to two.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

A combination of Vitaly, Yehor, Hickey and possibly Konak could be seen as covering the defensive midfield area for next season?
Not really arguing but I think we’re at the stage where at least one specialist player is required for each position.

That’s like saying, without a №9, Schade, Ouattara, Lewis-Potter, Carvalho and Furo could be seen as covering the centre forward position!
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

Not really arguing but I think we’re at the stage where at least one specialist player is required for each position.

That’s like saying, without a №9, Schade, Ouattara, Lewis-Potter, Carvalho and Furo could be seen as covering the centre forward position!
I guess? Our CDMs tend to play as a more hybrid 6/8. Yehor and Janelt seem to fit that pretty well, dont they? I like the idea of Hickey moving into that role, and tbd on Konak. Plus Hendo, once he's rested.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

Not really arguing but I think we’re at the stage where at least one specialist player is required for each position.

That’s like saying, without a №9, Schade, Ouattara, Lewis-Potter, Carvalho and Furo could be seen as covering the centre forward position!
I thought you were a big advocate for Lee Dykes 16 positions or something, so not having a squad of specialists? I am a fan of players being flexible in terms of playing positions. KA has talked in terms of having a tight squad to ensure players don’t get demotivated if they are not getting regular playing time, although he may have revised his preference after our end of season injury list.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

I thought you were a big advocate for Lee Dykes 16 positions or something, so not having a squad of specialists? I am a fan of players being flexible in terms of playing positions. KA has talked in terms of having a tight squad to ensure players don’t get demotivated if they are not getting regular playing time, although he may have revised his preference after our end of season injury list.
Yes, I am… but, IMHO, our default formation of 11 players needs 11 dedicated specialists as the base.

Other tactical formations/styles of play may use one of those who can adapt, like full back/wing back, but a specialist on the bench or, more probably, generalist/flexible players allows us to flex from a predictable set-up as we develop more. I’m getting ahead of myself with all that, though!
Our CDMs tend to play as a more hybrid 6/8.
That’s what I’m suggesting we need to evolve from… by returning to something close to when Nørgaard was with us and the player ‘alongside’ him was usually playing higher. It starts with a single player who can command the defensive holding position.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

Bold prediction. He will be GPG Player of the Season next season. The (only?) positive of "No to Europe" winning is that he won't be as universally well known across the continent for one more season. Will be between him and Baleba as the best young dynamo midfielder in the Premier League. In case you were wondering, I'm a fan.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

I think Hickey has the skill set (but not the experience of course) to play as a classic 6 - positionally disciplined, strong tackler, physical and reads the game well.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

That’s what I’m suggesting we need to evolve from… by returning to something close to when Nørgaard was with us and the player ‘alongside’ him was usually playing higher. It starts with a single player who can command the defensive holding position.

Well Janelt and Yarmo are both capable of that, and to my eye in some matches that's how Yarmo was deployed. Worth remembering last season Yarmo was playing closer to a 6 while Norgaard actually pushed up more than in the past. We like versatile players.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

Well Janelt and Yarmo are both capable of that, and to my eye in some matches that's how Yarmo was deployed. Worth remembering last season Yarmo was playing closer to a 6 while Norgaard actually pushed up more than in the past. We like versatile players.
Perfectly true, one covering the other, and Yehor is a season more experienced now. My main point is regarding Yehor not scoring many goals (1) – I think the reason he doesn’t get forward is that he’s always got to cover back because he’s got the speed. Having a ‘true’ 6 with a bit of a sprint would allow him to venture forward further, that’s all.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

Just remember Janelt & Yarmoliuk vs Europa League Sunderland (H). Xavi, Iniesta & Busquets in their prime wouldn’t have handled them. Next season is going to be beyond our wildest expectations.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

I think Hickey has the skill set (but not the experience of course) to play as a classic 6 - positionally disciplined, strong tackler, physical and reads the game well.
Agree with the above and he made a difference coming on v Liverpool. Could end up saving us a lot of money, which could be spent upfield (y)
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

Perfectly true, one covering the other, and Yehor is a season more experienced now. My main point is regarding Yehor not scoring many goals (1) – I think the reason he doesn’t get forward is that he’s always got to cover back because he’s got the speed. Having a ‘true’ 6 with a bit of a sprint would allow him to venture forward further, that’s all.

I see your point. I think his lack of goal contributions is mental. He's gotten some pretty good chances, I think because he hasn't had much luck yet, he starts overthinking in the final third. I'm very hopeful that when it clicks it will open the floodgates. I really believe he could be a Rodri type player of the attacking develops. He has the ability. We wouldn't have been anywhere close to where we finished without him this year.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

I see your point. I think his lack of goal contributions is mental. He's gotten some pretty good chances, I think because he hasn't had much luck yet, he starts overthinking in the final third. I'm very hopeful that when it clicks it will open the floodgates. I really believe he could be a Rodri type player of the attacking develops. He has the ability. We wouldn't have been anywhere close to where we finished without him this year.
Would be great if he has any of Rodri's attributes but you are overestimating Rodri's goalscoring prowess. He averages about four goals a season
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

I’d hope that we can recruit an oven-ready №6 who will allow him to become more of a box-to-box player. That will give him more rein to get goals.
I think we recruited Milambo as someone who could be an attacking 8, with Yehor more of a defensive 8 or a 6. Horses for courses etc

And for all those mentioning Hendo, Yehor looked much better playing alongside Norgaard
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

I think we recruited Milambo as someone who could be an attacking 8, with Yehor more of a defensive 8 or a 6. Horses for courses etc

And for all those mentioning Hendo, Yehor looked much better playing alongside Norgaard
I agree. Although we’ve not seen much at all of them (recently) to make any real judgements, Milambo, Carvalho and Dasilva all have something we’ve been sadly lacking – the ability to dribble and carry the ball forward through a defensive line. Our tactics have been restricted to long balls which are not very effective against a deep defence… and we’re getting to a point in our trajectory where we not easy pickings and teams will do that against us. IMHO, Keith’s suffered from being unable to switch things around due to this; having to rely on Damsgaard’s passing to create – not his fault, not even the fault of recruitment, but just bad luck with injuries.

Henderson’s never a 6, although he (like Janelt) is excellent at reading the game and can tackle if he can get close enough, he’s not got the speed required for the position. Hence me droning on ad nauseam about it. But, in midfield, sometimes you need players to connect the defensive part to the attacking part and do a bit of both, the box-to-box midfielder, and I think Yehor is absolutely excellent at doing that, an all round midfielder.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

I agree. Although we’ve not seen much at all of them (recently) to make any real judgements, Milambo, Carvalho and Dasilva all have something we’ve been sadly lacking – the ability to dribble and carry the ball forward through a defensive line. Our tactics have been restricted to long balls which are not very effective against a deep defence… and we’re getting to a point in our trajectory where we not easy pickings and teams will do that against us. IMHO, Keith’s suffered from being unable to switch things around due to this; having to rely on Damsgaard’s passing to create – not his fault, not even the fault of recruitment, but just bad luck with injuries.

Henderson’s never a 6, although he (like Janelt) is excellent at reading the game and can tackle if he can get close enough, he’s not got the speed required for the position. Hence me droning on ad nauseam about it. But, in midfield, sometimes you need players to connect the defensive part to the attacking part and do a bit of both, the box-to-box midfielder, and I think Yehor is absolutely excellent at doing that, an all round midfielder.
I'm not sure that speed is a big part of the role. Norgaard wasn't quick but he was fantastic at the No 6 position. I think it's all about anticipation and reading of the game, plus being in the right position at the right time and knowing when to make a tactical foul.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

I'm not sure that speed is a big part of the role. Norgaard wasn't quick but he was fantastic at the No 6 position. I think it's all about anticipation and reading of the game, plus being in the right position at the right time and knowing when to make a tactical foul.
… but it helps. Christian may’ve lost some speed but, you’re right, reading the game and anticipating the position was a big part. We’ve lost that now without him, so a younger, quicker version will be a great addition IMHO, releasing Yehor to be more adventurous.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

I have really been impressed with YY since the first time I saw him play. He is going to be a star and is at the right club to develop. Same could be said of MK.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

With Citeh paying £116m for Anderson, what sort of price range do we think Yehor currently sits in? Two years age and experience gap granted, but I do think when he sadly leaves in the future it will be for biiiiggg money
 
  • Like
Reactions: AB

Yehor Yarmoliuk

So basically you are saying Anderson is twice as good as Yahor... I beg to differ mate
Doesn’t necessarily need to be twice as good. Gotta pay for scarcity. You could have three players, for arguments sake rate them 8, 9 and 10. That 1 might go for 100 mil… that 9 might go for 75 and the 8 might go for 50. Bottom line is, even if the gap between the two isn’t that wide, the are a hell if a lot more 8/10s than 10/10s and for those clubs challenging for the title every year, they have to stump up to pay for the top top players or they will be left behind quickly.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

Doesn’t necessarily need to be twice as good. Gotta pay for scarcity. You could have three players, for arguments sake rate them 8, 9 and 10. That 1 might go for 100 mil… that 9 might go for 75 and the 8 might go for 50. Bottom line is, even if the gap between the two isn’t that wide, the are a hell if a lot more 8/10s than 10/10s and for those clubs challenging for the title every year, they have to stump up to pay for the top top players or they will be left behind quickly.
So you are saying Anderson is something special?
He's good yea but nothing special
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

So you are saying Anderson is something special?
He's good yea but nothing special
That’s not my opinion, but it is the opinion of Manchester city’s scouts which is why they’ve paid what they have.

Also, I love Yarmo and think he’s a great player but the comparison between Anderson and Yarmoliuk is certainly in Andersons favor
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

I think the best case scenario comparison for Yarmo's development is Tonali and he went for a few bob. But I don't really want to think about selling him!
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

Maybe £50m would be a great price for him now (and I doubt any clubs would even pay that for him right now), but I’d like to imagine we’ll want to keep hold of him to develop him further into either a near-record fee departure or a crucial figure in the squad. Makes no sense to sell yet.
 

Yehor Yarmoliuk

He’s 22! I’d like to think he’s earmarked as a core player for well after Henderson, Janelt and Jensen, even Damsgaard, are gone.
 
Back
Top Bottom