Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Beer in the stands?


  • Total voters
    421

AB

Well-known member
Joined
12 Apr 2000
Messages
29,477
Reaction score
33,329
Location
'Sunny' Leeds

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

It sounds like the PM is keen to reverse the ban on drinking in sight of the pitch at professional mens football matches.


View: https://x.com/politlcsuk/status/2102869799273423187?s=46&t=9UmVFiBy0DOR8SIM55BOUA


The reaction to this seems to be overwhelmingly negative with fears that every goal would get Boxpark style pint chucking.

Is that what we’d expect from our fellow Bees? I cautiously but maybe overoptimistically think we’re better than that and that sanctions like long match bans and ST forfeit for repeat offences would take out the temptation.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

It sounds like the PM is keen to reverse the ban on drinking in sight of the pitch at professional mens football matches.


View: https://x.com/politlcsuk/status/2102869799273423187?s=46&t=9UmVFiBy0DOR8SIM55BOUA


The reaction to this seems to be overwhelmingly negative with fears that every goal would get Boxpark style pint chucking.

Is that what we’d expect from our fellow Bees? I cautiously but maybe overoptimistically think we’re better than that and that sanctions like long match bans and ST forfeit for repeat offences would take out the temptation.

That could happen with soft drinks, for me the main issue will be that when a Goal is scored beer will inadvertently go everywhere soaking both overage fans and also juniors. In rugby less likely to happen as a Try is a longish time in coming so time to put beer down whereas in football a goal can be scored in an instant.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Think it would be good for home games but not for away games when you don’t know who you’ll have around you.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

This is always one of the more mind blowing aspects of catching a game in England.

I think the “thrill” of tossing one’s beer high in the air will quickly lose its appeal. The euros/world cup only happen every 2 years and you only score 8-12ish goals in total. I think that action would be saved for special moments (if at all) once you’re knocking in 60 goals over the course of a season. That becomes a much more expensive season ticket.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

If we’re ever going to get back to behaving in a civilised manner where we can watch the game and support our team while having a drink, like in other sports including football in other countries, then we’ve got start somewhere.

It’s a social change and it will be down to the individual to behave responsibly that I’m sure the majority would be prepared to accept, especially after all these years of having been unable to do this because of the behaviour of the inconsiderate minority.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I’m a no because I don’t want people pushing past me during the match to go to the bar, or returning from it. Think it will be a really annoying distraction.
Totally agree. It’s bad enough now having to get up half the time, it would be a nightmare if you could bring drinks back to your seat all game.

A big NO for me
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

A UK Football Policing Unit (UKFPU) spokesman warned that changes to the law would pose "challenges" to policing and the "safety of staff and fans at football games".

I've changed my mind now I've read that these f***ing idiots are against it.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I’m a no because I don’t want people pushing past me during the match to go to the bar, or returning from it. Think it will be a really annoying distraction.
Shut the bars during the game but allow people to take their drink to their seats with them that they buy before KO or at half time?
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Absolutely not.

Far too many in society prove regularly that they can't take or moderate their drink. And some of the worst of society frequent football matches. There will be more arguments, fights and beer thrown all over the place. And far too many for stewards to deal with.

It's a shame that the 80% of potential drinkers in a stadium who would be fine can't take a drink to their seat, but that is our society now; we restrict or punish everyone rather than deal with or root out the bad 'uns.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I don't drink so no issues here - the people around me dont seem the types to suddenly become beer throwing lunatics once the current ban is ended so yes from me.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I reckon my opinion of this has changed over time (and so have drinkers).
There’s absolutely no chance this wouldn’t result in beer everywhere when we scored. There are simply far too many b*llends around these days.
Even ignoring that, as someone with something of a reputation for rather liking a drink, the 90 mins of not drinking, during a full day’s drinking, is probably actually to my benefit, and the rest of society’s too.
Is it possible to have a civilised drink during a game? Yes. Would everyone do that? No. Not a chance in hell.

(and, whilst the area I sit in is probably the least likely for problems, with an average age of about 70, there’s no point judging it on that, rather than other parts of this or other stadiums, as the rule would be for everywhere)
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Would be interesting to see the votes on other club forums, I bet Leeds is a yes 😅
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

This seems sensible.
Superficially yes but that only solves the minor issue of people going back/forth.
It doesn’t solve any of the real problems and you would end up with people taking a full pint (or two) back to their seat. So very little difference to it being unbanned.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I would prefer if it wasn’t allowed again.

I don’t drink beer. Don’t like the taste of it, or the smell of it. Never have.
If I’m at a non league game and somebody goes past me balancing two or three pints I’m half expecting it to end up all over me, which is like my worst nightmare.
The thought of smelling like and old tramp for a couple of hours is not my idea of fun.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Even as someone who likes a beer with my footerball, I'm against it. Too many performative muppets who'll launch it over everyone around them when a goal is scored for social media clout from other basement dwelling virgins they'll never meet.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

No thank you. Those that pack them in pre game will continue through the match which will lead to much more aisle traffic (drinks and wee wee). As well as dropped/knocked over pints which could lead to confrontation along with more pissed up bravery.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

This is a daft idea. The ban has been in place for forty years (and if we’re being honest, was introduced for perfectly legitimate reasons). There’s hardly a clamour for a change. Moreover, if it is lifted, it will be very difficult to reverse if things go badly. Of all the things to champion in reforming football, this comes way down the list.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Interesting how Burnham would probably think this would be widely supported by football supporters but the small sample here suggests it may not be as straight forward as that.
You're right, but I take his point about how football fans have been singled out in this and other ways by comparison with a more middle class fan base. In the same way that the council won't allow football at Twickenham, while welcoming the Army v Navy match that closes down local businesses for the day and leaves the streets full of p*ss and vomit.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I would favour any initiative that would contribute to reducing the amount of food and drink being taken into the stands if I'm honest. Plenty of time for that before and after the game and half time.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I can drink a bottle of water during a game and i can drink a bottle of fizzy stuff too.
I guess why not a plastic bottle of budweiser or Pride.

A big but would be the mess left behind and plastic glasses everywhere.Some will be broken as they will be trodden on and at the moment they are confined to one specific area with places to leave them.

I watched a fella at Rugby get up from his seat 8 times to get a beer during a game.
At the final whistle he had no idea who he was let alone where.
We had to stand up everytime he wanted a drink and that was annoying.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I don't drink so no issues here - the people around me dont seem the types to suddenly become beer throwing lunatics once the current ban is ended so yes from me.
so maybe drinks allowed, but only if you sit down? :sneakoff::sneakoff:
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I think the key thing here is that it should be up to the stadium operations team and safety advisory group and whether to allow it. Not a blanket ban in law.

My guess is that is what would happen, devolution for football.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I think the key thing here is that it should be up to the stadium operations team and safety advisory group and whether to allow it. Not a blanket ban in law.

My guess is that is what would happen, devolution for football.
This. Either ban alcohol at all sporting events or none. There really is no justification for football to be singled out for purely historical reasons.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I have never, and will never chuck my beer anywhere other than down my neck.
Closest I ever came to chucking a pint was when I made the mistake of ordering two pints of Madri at the Spurs stadium (as I didn't want to queue up twice).
Absolutely vile. Really struggled to finish the first and the second was a herculean effort.
Don't know if it usually tastes that bad but judging by reviews it's not exactly a popular beer.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I voted yes straight away. It was my want from my own point of view. After reading all the comments above, there are very sensible points raised. I will change my vote to no.

If everyone has survived 40 years not drinking 2 x 45 minutes, 20 plus times a year. I can continue to do so as well. Plenty of time ( not as much in the stadium because we've lost 30 minutes ) before and after.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Even as someone who likes a beer with my footerball, I'm against it. Too many performative muppets who'll launch it over everyone around them when a goal is scored for social media clout from other basement dwelling virgins they'll never meet.
None taken 😔
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Goal celebrations in football are just so much wilder than in other sports.
Even in my fairly sedate part of the South Stand the effects of several hundred people suddenly jumping to their feet and clapping and some even punching the air (yes it’s true) would cause numerous spillages, causing either smelly wet clothing or a smelly sticky floor.
It’s fine as it is Andy, there are plenty of other ways to make people like you.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Having seen how people can soon become drunken idiots at the cricket Hundred I vote no. I wouldn't want people up and down during a game to get another drink or have a wee, let alone throwing their beer in the air at a goal.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Don't know about you but I go into the stadium to watch and enjoy the game.
I do not want to continually be distracted by any alcohol related behaviour, be that continually getting up and down in my seat with people going to the bar and toilets, dodging flying pints of beer or piles of discarded glasses and rivers of piss. That's before we even start on the increased pressure on the stewards.
Even if the bars were shut during the game there would be trays of preloading beers everywhere pre match and at half time.
If you want to drink and watch the game then you can still do that from the concourse on the numerous TV screens there.
Nice intention Andy but let's keep these issues out of the stands. This would be a step back to an era most football fans who experienced it would want to avoid at all costs.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Interesting reaction on here.

I think people are influenced by seeing the beer throwing at England games during major tournaments but look around you next time you are at the Gtech and ask yourself if the people around you are the type to indulge in that sort of behaviour. I think in the vast majority of cases the answer would be no.

Appreciate away games are a slightly different kettle of fish though.

I like a beer at games but I hate the fact that I’ve got to chuck it down my neck in 10 minutes (after queuing) during half time and that sort of bingeing only leads to people getting more inebriated.

Also would allow more people to remain in the stands at half time and create a more relaxed atmosphere while taking some pressure off the catering staff and reducing waiting times.

It’s a tentative yes from me at this stage.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Interesting reaction on here.

I think people are influenced by seeing the beer throwing at England games during major tournaments but look around you next time you are at the Gtech and ask yourself if the people around you are the type to indulge in that sort of behaviour. I think in the vast majority of cases the answer would be no.

Appreciate away games are a slightly different kettle of fish though.

I like a beer at games but I hate the fact that I’ve got to chuck it down my neck in 10 minutes (after queuing) during half time and that sort of bingeing only leads to people getting more inebriated.

Also would allow more people to remain in the stands at half time and create a more relaxed atmosphere while taking some pressure off the catering staff and reducing waiting times.

It’s a tentative yes from me at this stage.
The closest to a football atmosphere I have experienced at other sports is the Hollies stand at Edgbaston and in Oz in the Barmy Army section for The Ashes.
Both great fun but constant back and forth to the bars, spillages, beer snakes etc which is ok in a slow moving sport like test cricket but would be awful at football where the spectating is much more focussed and intense.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

The closest to a football atmosphere I have experienced at other sports is the Hollies stand at Edgbaston and in Oz in the Barmy Army section for The Ashes.
Both great fun but constant back and forth to the bars, spillages, beer snakes etc which is ok in a slow moving sport like test cricket but would be awful at football where the spectating is much more focussed and intense.

I understand but that is an 8/9 hour event so it’s bound to be considerably worse in that respect than a couple of hours at the Gtech.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Silly populist nonsense (quick wins etc etc) makes a good headline for those he's unlikely to reach otherwise but as many other commentators have correctly noted the ban was put in place for a reason and everyone seems comfortable enough with it. He's just opened a can of worms really.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

There would have been people just to the right of me who missed Fabio's goal on Friday as someone in the row in front made everyone stand up so they could leave early. Drives me mad and would just be made worse by this awful idea. Fine on a terrace but just so selfish in a cinema, theatre or seated stand.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

The closest to a football atmosphere I have experienced at other sports is the Hollies stand at Edgbaston and in Oz in the Barmy Army section for The Ashes.
Both great fun but constant back and forth to the bars, spillages, beer snakes etc which is ok in a slow moving sport like test cricket but would be awful at football where the spectating is much more focussed and intense.
True and in the “old” days with classic terracing you could slip out and back without disrupting anybody’s view. Today’s all seater/ safe standing stadiums just don’t facilitate a return to such an arrangement.

From what I have seen so far the EPL are pretty lukewarm about the idea anyway
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

.

From what I have seen so far the EPL are pretty lukewarm about the idea anyway
I'd bet they'd love for corporate areas to not have to close the blinds during the match.

Like I said, it will become a locally managed issue.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Charge everyone £20 a pint in a non-spill sippy cup with a straw and a £12 refund when the cup is returned :idea:
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Pros and cons to this. For me personally I wouldn't be drinking loads more but it would mean not having to rush pints before the game and then at half time. I wouldn't then have to watch the end of first half in the concourse to avoid the very long queues and might make the whole half time period less busy and packed. Would also means more fans in the stands at the end of the first half but more importantly the beginning of the second half, as there is always a lull in my part of the West Stand as people slowly make their way back to our seats.

I take people's point about people moving more during the game but wouldnt change much in the safe standing areas.

The chucking of beers during a goal celebration wound be very annoying but I would imagine a word with the people behind saying it's isn't cool would be enough.

Overall, not a massive issue either way in my opinion. I can't comment on the political aspects and motivation for it obviously
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

It's a daft idea...and imo merely a populist idea which our PM really hasn't thought through...if Mr Burnham wants to sit on a train back to London stinking of stale lager... after a group of youth have launched their beer in the air... after our last minute winner against Man U at old Trafford... he's welcome.... because I certainly don't...and please don't tell me the above scenario wouldn't happen....I repeat... daft.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

But seriously @aslan is right - a deposit on cups would soon stop people chucking them around.

But as others have said - this will increase disruption in the stands (people going to the bar, coming back, going to the toilet, coming back). But really - we have two 45 minute windows where you can't have a drink - (and even the first 45 you can, you just have to watch the game on a TV) - pretty sure most adults can handle that.
 
Back
Top Bottom