Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech (6 Viewers)

Beer in the stands?


  • Total voters
    390

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Of the many points I've put, "everyone is better off with a break" is not one I have put.
My first post on this page was responding to the point offered by several people "can't you go 45 minutes without a drink", to which you responded.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

My first post on this page was responding to the point offered by several people "can't you go 45 minutes without a drink", to which you responded.
Ooh, I hope this is not a drunken spat.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I'm a man who enjoys a pint or 3. But I think this is a very bad idea. Even now, in our row in N123 there are a couple of family groups who arrive after the game has started, depart 5 minutes before half time and come back 5 minutes into the second half. Why - drink. It is hugely annoying to those around them. If they, and others were doing this mid game I am certain it would lead to fisty cuffs.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

My first post on this page was responding to the point offered by several people "can't you go 45 minutes without a drink", to which you responded.
Yes, having made that statement myself, I responded. If they can't go 45minutes without a beer, don't go to the stadium. Couldn't care less about their health/drunkeness or if a break is good for them.
I come to football to watch football. If I wanted to get pissed I'd go to the pub.

I don't want my (or my sons, or anyone else's for that matter) match day experience ruined by the increased footfall up and down the aisle, missing parts of the match because people "need" their fix instead of watching the football, don't want knobheads throwing their drink, don't want people accidentally kicking over pints, don't want to have to limit my joy and celebration after a goal incase I knock someone's drink over, don't want people accidently spilling beer as they squeeze past struggling to carry 6 pints, don't want to put up with the stench of beer, don't want to put up with the mess of discarded empties.

I see the sensible argument to "if someone buys before KO/at HT let them take it to finish" but at the same time those people have solutions; finish your pint on the concourse and watch the screens, don't buy a beer you can't finish, or leave it and go watch the match.

Again, a change has potential to ruin the matchday experience for many. No change doesn't ruin anything for anyone, just means it's not quite what people would like
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Yes, having made that statement myself, I responded. If they can't go 45minutes without a beer, don't go to the stadium. Couldn't care less about their health/drunkeness or if a break is good for them.
I come to football to watch football. If I wanted to get pissed I'd go to the pub.

I don't want my (or my sons, or anyone else's for that matter) match day experience ruined by the increased footfall up and down the aisle, missing parts of the match because people "need" their fix instead of watching the football, don't want knobheads throwing their drink, don't want people accidentally kicking over pints, don't want to have to limit my joy and celebration after a goal incase I knock someone's drink over, don't want people accidently spilling beer as they squeeze past struggling to carry 6 pints, don't want to put up with the stench of beer, don't want to put up with the mess of discarded empties.

I see the sensible argument to "if someone buys before KO/at HT let them take it to finish" but at the same time those people have solutions; finish your pint on the concourse and watch the screens, don't buy a beer you can't finish, or leave it and go watch the match.

Again, a change has potential to ruin the matchday experience for many. No change doesn't ruin anything for anyone, just means it's not quite what people would like
Thread done. :judge:
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

...so.... which particular part of the GTech would you trial this in....the whole ground... because I'm fairly certain there would be differences across the four stands...for example...zero incidents in the South and several in the West would be interesting........what happens then....more 'discrimination' moving forward.... banned in the West but not in the South...yet more divisions created?
I would trial at a club, not stands. Pick a few clubs around the divisions and observe the behaviour. If there are incidents, it should be up to the club to work out whether they want to implement the idea or not.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

A month is probably two home games. Do you think the novelty will wear off that quickly?
Ok maybe 4 home matches then. It doesn't matter. A pilot should last long enough to observe behaviour before deciding.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I would trial at a club, not stands. Pick a few clubs around the divisions and observe the behaviour. If there are incidents, it should be up to the club to work out whether they want to implement the idea or not.
We should try and get offside sorted out first.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Yes, having made that statement myself, I responded. If they can't go 45minutes without a beer, don't go to the stadium. Couldn't care less about their health/drunkeness or if a break is good for them.
I come to football to watch football. If I wanted to get pissed I'd go to the pub.

I don't want my (or my sons, or anyone else's for that matter) match day experience ruined by the increased footfall up and down the aisle, missing parts of the match because people "need" their fix instead of watching the football, don't want knobheads throwing their drink, don't want people accidentally kicking over pints, don't want to have to limit my joy and celebration after a goal incase I knock someone's drink over, don't want people accidently spilling beer as they squeeze past struggling to carry 6 pints, don't want to put up with the stench of beer, don't want to put up with the mess of discarded empties.

I see the sensible argument to "if someone buys before KO/at HT let them take it to finish" but at the same time those people have solutions; finish your pint on the concourse and watch the screens, don't buy a beer you can't finish, or leave it and go watch the match.

Again, a change has potential to ruin the matchday experience for many. No change doesn't ruin anything for anyone, just means it's not quite what people would like
You cannot say for certain, and neither can I for that matter, what will happen which is why I am in favour of a pilot scheme.
Having a drink at football is quite normal in some other countries, that means it's not disruptive to other fans. I occasionally go to watch football in the Netherlands and it's never been an issue. It's perfectly civilised. I don't see why I have to force a drink down my neck due to time constraints. I'd like to finish my beer and have the choice to get another one, at my seat.
Sure, I understand that this smacks of fixing a problem that doesn't exist. I get it. But I can go to plenty of other sporting events and have a nice casual drink, part of my winding down time away from the family and work.
I appreciate and understand everyone's concerns, but until it's piloted, everyone is voicing an opinion that can't yet be proven.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I occasionally go to watch football in the Netherlands and it's never been an issue. It's perfectly civilised.
I think you have answered your own question.

Massive fan of Dutch peeps, have many friends from those parts.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Yes, having made that statement myself, I responded. If they can't go 45minutes without a beer, don't go to the stadium. Couldn't care less about their health/drunkeness or if a break is good for them.
I come to football to watch football. If I wanted to get pissed I'd go to the pub.

I don't want my (or my sons, or anyone else's for that matter) match day experience ruined by the increased footfall up and down the aisle, missing parts of the match because people "need" their fix instead of watching the football, don't want knobheads throwing their drink, don't want people accidentally kicking over pints, don't want to have to limit my joy and celebration after a goal incase I knock someone's drink over, don't want people accidently spilling beer as they squeeze past struggling to carry 6 pints, don't want to put up with the stench of beer, don't want to put up with the mess of discarded empties.

I see the sensible argument to "if someone buys before KO/at HT let them take it to finish" but at the same time those people have solutions; finish your pint on the concourse and watch the screens, don't buy a beer you can't finish, or leave it and go watch the match.

Again, a change has potential to ruin the matchday experience for many. No change doesn't ruin anything for anyone, just means it's not quite what people would like
Ok. Like I said, If you think football is more civilised without it or you're worried about waterfalls of beer, that is fair.

But I don't necessarily think the law of the land should enforce your preferences over someone else's, in every stand of every football stadium in the country, just because it's been that way for 40 years and no-one can knows exactly what trying it would look like. I suspect many people think they know exactly how things would end up, hence the strong reactions in this discussion, but peronally I think there could be room for a choice.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Its not the behaviour that bothers me, I must admit I hadn't even considered that when I read this thread, for me it is another step into the Americanisation of our game. Making it about as many trips to the bar/snack kiosk as possible, introducing quarters with 15 mins breaks will be next. Mixed fans having a day out and the sport is only a side event. You can see what happened during the world cup, people wearing Messi Argentina shirts rather than their own countries, brainwashed fan boys who don't get the passion and commitment of being born into being a fan, but have plenty of disposable income.
I don't agree it's Americanising the game. Plenty of countries allow it. But I understand what you're saying. But that's just a perception you have. The Netherlands can be a great place to watch football and have a drink at your seat. I don't think they're Americanised.
I think Germany, Italy, and Poland all allow dining in your seats too.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Does this also apply to coach travel too? Now there's something we can all get behind.
Much better than getting plastered on a coa h drinking vodka and lemonade from a secret bottle……
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I think you have answered your own question.

Massive fan of Dutch peeps, have many friends from those parts.
If you mean that you think Dutch fans are more civilised than us, I disagree immensely. They restrict away fans because of hooliganism issues, bussing them in and out of stadia to train stations.

Yet fans can drink at their seat and it's not an issue.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I don't agree it's Americanising the game. Plenty of countries allow it. But I understand what you're saying. But that's just a perception you have. The Netherlands can be a great place to watch football and have a drink at your seat. I don't think they're Americanised.
I think Germany, Italy, and Poland all allow dining in your seats too.
Went to the watch a Roma champions league quarter final years ago and literally you could get anything you wanted delivered to your seat. I smoked a joint provided by the person selling drinks and hotdogs walking up and down the aisle. A novel experience and nobody around me gave a f***
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I would trial at a club, not stands. Pick a few clubs around the divisions and observe the behaviour. If there are incidents, it should be up to the club to work out whether they want to implement the idea or not.
...ok... let's give it a go...but the first half full pint thrown by an away that hits me or any other supporter in E115/215...and its a declaration of war....and just to say...my earlier post about having the hump about being covered in lager by one of our own should we score a last minute winner at Old Trafford.... forget that....I wouldn't care a jot.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I don't agree it's Americanising the game. Plenty of countries allow it. But I understand what you're saying. But that's just a perception you have. The Netherlands can be a great place to watch football and have a drink at your seat. I don't think they're Americanised.
I think Germany, Italy, and Poland all allow dining in your seats too.

Italy does, Poland absolutely does not apart from alcohol free beers 🇵🇱
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

If you mean that you think Dutch fans are more civilised than us, I disagree immensely. They restrict away fans because of hooliganism issues, bussing them in and out of stadia to train stations.

Yet fans can drink at their seat and it's not an issue.
I take your point, but my experience of mainland European culture is that there is a much bigger divide between the ordinary fan and the extreme fan. Polish fighting schools in the forest in MMA gear for example. Perhaps our culture is not ready for it yet, I think we have far more likely "Terrys" getting pissed up, going too far with it and causing an issue than "Barts" (couldn't think of another Dutch name!) having a nice beer in their seat.

I think your idea of a pilot is fair minded, but I'd rather not test the hypothesis because I don't think it's needed.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

...ok... let's give it a go...but the first half full pint thrown by an away that hits me or any other supporter in E115/215...and its a declaration of war....and just to say...my earlier post about having the hump about being covered in lager by one of our own should we score a last minute winner at Old Trafford.... forget that....I wouldn't care a jot.
Precisely. Let's give it a go. If I get a beer shower, I'm going to be pretty annoyed too. I'll oppose it vehemently.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

The memories. Standing at the bar at the back of the terraces at Burnley watching the SuperBees, supping pints of Thwaites. It doesn't get better than that.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Went to the watch a Roma champions league quarter final years ago and literally you could get anything you wanted delivered to your seat. I smoked a joint provided by the person selling drinks and hotdogs walking up and down the aisle. A novel experience and nobody around me gave a f***
....there were actual hot dogs walking up and down the aisle..you really should give up the puff mate tbf.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Drinking beer during a match is fine when you’re standing on a non-league terrace and you’re not getting in anybody’s way when you go to the bar / toilet. But I’ve been to Twickenham once (sorry, but I was invited and it was rude to refuse!) and the constant up and down of people going to buy beers / returning with beers and trying not to spill them / using the facilities to dispose of the beer recently consumed drove me mad … and that’s in a sport where there are plenty of stoppages so you may not miss much action when the entire row in front of you stands up to let a beer consumer through.

At the Gtech the tourists who leave their seats before half time and return 10 minutes into the 2nd half without waiting for an appropriate break in play are bad enough…we don’t need any more disruption during a match to be encouraged.

(And I’m writing this as someone who enjoys pre- and post-match drinks as much as the next person)

Sorry, rant over
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I don't usually partake at half time as I don't want to rush it. More likely if I can sip.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

And as for the throwing beer around etc.................... How many of us have ever actually experienced that?

Its all online click bait and people knowing they are stood at box park etc with a camera pointed at them......................... Lets throw my beer because its the done thing here.

I bet the majority wouldn't want to be turfing £8 worth of beer for the sake of it. A few idiots would but i bet it wouldnt be as bad as half of us are making it out to be.

Theres the report function, no reason why it couldnt be adopted here especially with the quality of CCTV we have.

Seems to work fine on the continent.

btw im not fussed either way................. Would just be nice to be treated as an adult and not tarnished as some 1970s-80s hooligan whos going to rip up N126 because ive got a beer in my hand.
Well I’ve experienced it at rugby. Although rather comically it was pouring with rain and someone had their giant umbrella up next to us at the back of the open stand (covering us). So we got shielded by their brolly whilst others got the brunt of the beer. Altho as it was raining it helped wash it off…

Problem is it doesn’t matter if you are a really responsible adult who’s never going to chuck a pint…..

If only 1 in 20 deliberately get it accidentally in the heat of the moment, or get it knocked in the air during celebrations, let alone chuck it in the air deliberately then it’s still going to happen a fair bit.

As I say, I’ve often superficially thought it’d be nice if I could just drink at my seat, but if I think about it the reality, it wouldn’t actually be this lovely utopia and just would result in more sh*t days out, for a benefit I don’t really need.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Precisely. Let's give it a go. If I get a beer shower, I'm going to be pretty annoyed too. I'll oppose it vehemently.
What about if i get a beer shower and you don't,will you be annoyed and oppose it vehemently on my behalf?
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Drinking beer during a match is fine when you’re standing on a non-league terrace and you’re not getting in anybody’s way when you go to the bar / toilet. But I’ve been to Twickenham once (sorry, but I was invited and it was rude to refuse!) and the constant up and down of people going to buy beers / returning with beers and trying not to spill them / using the facilities to dispose of the beer recently consumed drove me mad … and that’s in a sport where there are plenty of stoppages so you may not miss much action when the entire row in front of you stands up to let a beer consumer through.

At the Gtech the tourists who leave their seats before half time and return 10 minutes into the 2nd half without waiting for an appropriate break in play are bad enough…we don’t need any more disruption during a match to be encouraged.

(And I’m writing this as someone who enjoys pre- and post-match drinks as much as the next person)

Sorry, rant over
Maybe they will do it like snooker leave your seat and you have to wait for a break in play to be welcomed back in
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I'm a man who enjoys a pint or 3. But I think this is a very bad idea. Even now, in our row in N123 there are a couple of family groups who arrive after the game has started, depart 5 minutes before half time and come back 5 minutes into the second half. Why - drink. It is hugely annoying to those around them. If they, and others were doing this mid game I am certain it would lead to fisty cuffs.
They might instead be able to leave at half time and come back by the time the second half kicked off if they didn’t have to finish their drink before returning.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

As for rubbish......................... The rubbish ive seen at rugby games and Army Navy for example is horrific.
Lets not compare ourselves to Rugby fans.
I have witnessed them literally peeing and crapping in the street or peoples front gardens after a game at Twickenham.
Give me football fans all day long.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Echoing another point. I think football being such a low scoring game with such intense goal celebrations that we’re going to get accidentally covered in pints falling out of hands. Therefore I’m against it, unless it’s in bottles (or sippy cups 😊) unfortunately bottles won’t be allowed because of the missile element that they seem big on... bozos throwing their pints ala England would die a death quickly, I’d hope.
We can take a bottle of fizzy stuff in a plastic bottle or even sparkling mineral water for the posh seats.
Why not a plastic bottle of bud ?
Or Pride in a plastic recyclable bottle ?
I seriously think that is workable and do able.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Lets not compare ourselves to Rugby fans.
I have witnessed them literally peeing and crapping in the street or peoples front gardens after a game at Twickenham.
Give me football fans all day long.
Yep they are animals if football fans did the same you would never here the end of it.

Maybe they use breath testing to decide who gets served or not
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

The history leading to the ban is of course correct. I have no idea if this would return. However recent rugby ground experience suggests the problem is less about alcohol fuelled hooliganism than simple disrespect and disruption.
At the Principality Stadium there have been frequent complaints of the never ending to’ing and fro’ing to the bar and alternating with the toilets. I stopped attending because the drinking culture has now ruined the game (along of course with the poor rugby on show: enough to drive you to drink).
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I would, yes.
Wasn't trying to be nasty just pointing out that it's likely to happen somewhere in the stadium and some may not even know if it's not around them so everyone will have a different match day experience.Some may go home squeeky clean and others beer drenched.

I sit in the middle of a row and i wouldn't be affected by the comings and goings during the game where as others on the end,old fella who struggles to stand up in my row,would never survive the traffic.

This is an ill thought out comment by him and it's trying to change something that until he mentioned it wasn't really on many people agenda,it's just divisive.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Number of sporting events I've attended that allowed alcohol in view of the field/court: Hundreds

Number of times I've had beer poured on me at aforementioned hundreds of events: 0

If people are going to just drink their faces off the entire game and act like yahoos, that's when the ushers kick them out and ban them. I'm sorry, a lot of this thread just feels like a case of catastrophizing when most people won't be inconvenienced or even notice a big difference in fan behavior.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Number of sporting events I've attended that allowed alcohol in view of the field/court: Hundreds

Number of times I've had beer poured on me at aforementioned hundreds of events: 0

If people are going to just drink their faces off the entire game and act like yahoos, that's when the ushers kick them out and ban them. I'm sorry, a lot of this thread just feels like a case of catastrophizing when most people won't be inconvenienced or even notice a big difference in fan behavior.
How many of these events were in the past 5 years, in the UK, and at sports for the masses, not strawberries and cream at Wimbledon?

Because not getting drenched at an American sports stadium, once or a thousand times, is rather irrelevant. You don’t have the demonstrable regularity of pint chucking that’s infested a section of numpties in this country and the sports are so boring that nobody is going to get that excited about them anyway.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

One of the best things about watching the Womens football is that you can leisurely sup your pint or sip your wine without having to guzzle it down.

What happens now is that the beer drinkers leave just before half time, disturbing everybody in their row to queue to get a pint which they probably have just ten minutes to drink and to fit in a toilet break before being the last back to their seats.

The reality of drinking in the stands would be that there would not be big queues at tge start of half time as tge rush to be served quickly is no longer there. Fans will stay in their seats longer, be back in time to see the second half kick off.

At the womens games we often buy double rounds so that we don't have to go out whilst the game is on.

There is a slight risk that an idiot in the West Stand will throw their beer in the air when we score but fans in the North, South and East stands will be sitting down probably with their drinks placed between their feet. If an idiot throws his beer in the North i suspect he will be identified, ejected and banned.
 
  • Like
Reactions: AB

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Number of sporting events I've attended that allowed alcohol in view of the field/court: Hundreds

Number of times I've had beer poured on me at aforementioned hundreds of events: 0

If people are going to just drink their faces off the entire game and act like yahoos, that's when the ushers kick them out and ban them. I'm sorry, a lot of this thread just feels like a case of catastrophizing when most people won't be inconvenienced or even notice a big difference in fan behavior.
You are dialling in from the USA. Things are different at soccer games in the UK.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

One of the best things about watching the Womens football is that you can leisurely sup your pint or sip your wine without having to guzzle it down.

What happens now is that the beer drinkers leave just before half time, disturbing everybody in their row to queue to get a pint which they probably have just ten minutes to drink and to fit in a toilet break before being the last back to their seats.

The reality of drinking in the stands would be that there would not be big queues at tge start of half time as tge rush to be served quickly is no longer there. Fans will stay in their seats longer, be back in time to see the second half kick off.

At the womens games we often buy double rounds so that we don't have to go out whilst the game is on.

There is a slight risk that an idiot in the West Stand will throw their beer in the air when we score but fans in the North, South and East stands will be sitting down probably with their drinks placed between their feet. If an idiot throws his beer in the North i suspect he will be identified, ejected and banned.
I sometimes have a couple of cans at a picnic but that’s about as relevant as women’s football.

Very few people are going chicken oriental when a goal goes in there.

The stands aren’t packed with boisterous football “lads” of all ages tanked up on booze and other stuff.

If you’ve never been “bumped” from the side or behind during a goal celebration then I’d question the health of those surrounding you!

If you were holding a pint when that happens then it’s liable to end up anywhere!

This is even without anyone deliberately chucking anything!

I don’t think there’s any sport which really compares to football for the scale of the eruption when a goal goes in.

We can all say “I didn’t have a problem sipping my pint at the library (bar some funny looks from the librarian)” but it doesn’t prove a lot.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

One of the best things about watching the Womens football is that you can leisurely sup your pint or sip your wine without having to guzzle it down.

What happens now is that the beer drinkers leave just before half time, disturbing everybody in their row to queue to get a pint which they probably have just ten minutes to drink and to fit in a toilet break before being the last back to their seats.

The reality of drinking in the stands would be that there would not be big queues at tge start of half time as tge rush to be served quickly is no longer there. Fans will stay in their seats longer, be back in time to see the second half kick off.

At the womens games we often buy double rounds so that we don't have to go out whilst the game is on.

There is a slight risk that an idiot in the West Stand will throw their beer in the air when we score but fans in the North, South and East stands will be sitting down probably with their drinks placed between their feet. If an idiot throws his beer in the North i suspect he will be identified, ejected and banned.
It works at the women's games and in non league because there's nobody watching and plenty of space. It wouldn't work at packed premier League games.

That said - the law should still be changed, as should the law banning alcohol on coaches to football. Let the club make the decision.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Number of sporting events I've attended that allowed alcohol in view of the field/court: Hundreds

Number of times I've had beer poured on me at aforementioned hundreds of events: 0

If people are going to just drink their faces off the entire game and act like yahoos, that's when the ushers kick them out and ban them. I'm sorry, a lot of this thread just feels like a case of catastrophizing when most people won't be inconvenienced or even notice a big difference in fan behavior.

Football just means more here. There’s no other sport like it and that’s why beer works in the stands for some sports but not for football imo.

When the ball hits the back of the net and you find yourself turning to whoever is next to you and hugging them probably spilling your beer and theirs in the process it just wouldn’t work.

For me, that’s what football is about….that moment when we score and you completely lose all sense of control, celebrating with my sons or anyone else who is around me. Having to stop and put my beer down first, or worry about spilling someone else’s, would take something away from it.

I’d rather just enjoy my beer before the game, at half-time or after. And let’s be honest, the one after always tastes better anyway! 🍺
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Yes, having made that statement myself, I responded. If they can't go 45minutes without a beer, don't go to the stadium. Couldn't care less about their health/drunkeness or if a break is good for them.
I come to football to watch football. If I wanted to get pissed I'd go to the pub.

I don't want my (or my sons, or anyone else's for that matter) match day experience ruined by the increased footfall up and down the aisle, missing parts of the match because people "need" their fix instead of watching the football, don't want knobheads throwing their drink, don't want people accidentally kicking over pints, don't want to have to limit my joy and celebration after a goal incase I knock someone's drink over, don't want people accidently spilling beer as they squeeze past struggling to carry 6 pints, don't want to put up with the stench of beer, don't want to put up with the mess of discarded empties.

I see the sensible argument to "if someone buys before KO/at HT let them take it to finish" but at the same time those people have solutions; finish your pint on the concourse and watch the screens, don't buy a beer you can't finish, or leave it and go watch the match.

Again, a change has potential to ruin the matchday experience for many. No change doesn't ruin anything for anyone, just means it's not quite what people would like
:imwith:
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Yup, file under "I want it, so why can't I have it".

Adults eating hotdogs and nachos dripping with sauce at the cinema winds me up. My own bloody family do it.

Get popcorn and a drink like a normal person.

Drink before or after the game, it really is that simple.
I don't go to footy much any more.

But it seems to me more and more about the 'experience' than the football. Pre- ordered food, Cajun chicken, pizzas, samosa, beers, etc, etc. People spending half their time up and down, out of their seat, carrying tons of food in one arm, phone in the other.

Why the hell people can't sit in their bloody seat and stay there for just 45 minutes, I don't know.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Thinking back

Before the law was brought in banning drinking on the terraces, I don't remember seing one single beer shower at Brentford and the bar at the bottom of the Royal Oak stand in the Braemar Road corner was always busy
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Lets not compare ourselves to Rugby fans.
I have witnessed them literally peeing and crapping in the street or peoples front gardens after a game at Twickenham.
Give me football fans all day long.
Unless they are Scottish of Green and White variety.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

The history leading to the ban is of course correct. I have no idea if this would return. However recent rugby ground experience suggests the problem is less about alcohol fuelled hooliganism than simple disrespect and disruption.
At the Principality Stadium there have been frequent complaints of the never ending to’ing and fro’ing to the bar and alternating with the toilets. I stopped attending because the drinking culture has now ruined the game (along of course with the poor rugby on show: enough to drive you to drink).
Channel your attention to improving hygiene practices at live sport
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I don't go to footy much any more.

But it seems to me more and more about the 'experience' than the football. Pre- ordered food, Cajun chicken, pizzas, samosa, beers, etc, etc. People spending half their time up and down, out of their seat, carrying tons of food in one arm, phone in the other.

Why the hell people can't sit in their bloody seat and stay there for just 45 minutes, I don't know.
This doesn't happen at the Gtech.
 
Back
Top Bottom