Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech (20 Viewers)

Beer in the stands?


  • Total voters
    395

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Maybe I'm just unlucky with my cup games there then. I've seen it each time. Perhaps that's because there are more non-regular fans (like me) there for those kinds of games.
I go to every game and I don't think I can recall anyone leaving their seat during a game and coming back with loads of food (they obv can't come back with beer). People eat and drink plenty before and at half time but where I sit, nobody is eating food during the game.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

What happens now is that the beer drinkers leave just before half time, disturbing everybody in their row to queue to get a pint which they probably have just ten minutes to drink and to fit in a toilet break before being the last back to their seats.
The fact that this is objectively an indefensible experience in terms of enjoyment, for probably what is a crap pint, is what leads people to say that people “can’t wait” 🤷‍♂️
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Thinking back

Before the law was brought in banning drinking on the terraces, I don't remember seing one single beer shower at Brentford and the bar at the bottom of the Royal Oak stand in the Braemar Road corner was always busy

It's a modern phenomena driven by social media and people desperate to be seen as the 'most' happy, angry, passionate, whatever when the videos hit Twitter.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I go to every game and I don't think I can recall anyone leaving their seat during a game and coming back with loads of food (they obv can't come back with beer). People eat and drink plenty before and at half time but where I sit, nobody is eating food during the game.
I don’t see that many eating food in general but that’s probably due to the prices. I think I’ve only ever bought food once and that was when they were doing some discount. Bring back cheap chips!;)
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

A lot has changed since the ban was imposed and revisiting the rule is probably due. Whether football should remain as a special case in this respect is a good question. I’d be in favour of a trial period, perhaps just a couple of months near the start of the season or after new year.

I say this as someone who has never had a half-time beer and seldom had one before a match, but I have no problem with those who like to drink and I believe the vast majority can be trusted to behave. After all, there’s plenty of drinking before kickoff, and it’s not like people suddenly sober up when they reach their seats.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Couple of hours in the pub before the game, couple more after, don’t think my liver would stand drinking in the two hours of the game itself.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Couple of hours in the pub before the game, couple more after, don’t think my liver would stand drinking in the two hours of the game itself.

I don't think they'd be mandating in game drinking so you can still take a break if you want.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Having given consideration to the suggestion, have pretty much decided that it's not something I'd like to see.

However, I would say things, have moved on in general since the ban.
In the interim it's now expected that we can get alcohol, and take it in to places like plays, comedy shows, musicals, concerts, cinemas etc. etc....Which was never the case 40 years ago.
Which probably also goes some way to explaining why we dont remember seeing a lot of boozing on the terraces back when it was allowed. Attitudes have changed.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

You cannot say for certain, and neither can I for that matter, what will happen which is why I am in favour of a pilot scheme.
Having a drink at football is quite normal in some other countries, that means it's not disruptive to other fans. I occasionally go to watch football in the Netherlands and it's never been an issue. It's perfectly civilised. I don't see why I have to force a drink down my neck due to time constraints. I'd like to finish my beer and have the choice to get another one, at my seat.
Sure, I understand that this smacks of fixing a problem that doesn't exist. I get it. But I can go to plenty of other sporting events and have a nice casual drink, part of my winding down time away from the family and work.
I appreciate and understand everyone's concerns, but until it's piloted, everyone is voicing an opinion that can't yet be proven.
No one is compelling you to force a drink down your neck due to time constraints. Just go to a pub early, drink as much as you like and then leave to get to the stadium in good time. The Express is 5 minutes away. Get there by 11.00. Leave at 2.45 (to allow for crowds), watch the first half, get another pint at half time, get back to your seat for the second half and then ask the person next to you what the final score was when you wake up. Go back to the pub (if you can still walk) and get some more pints in at your leisure.

Simple.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

And the blue side of Glasgow behave impeccably ?
Unless I’ve forgotten about a recent(ish) friendly we played against them where behaviour such as was posted was documented, that’s irrelevant.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I’m a no because I don’t want people pushing past me during the match to go to the bar, or returning from it. Think it will be a really annoying distraction.

Or returning with a tray of half a dozen pints for their mates. What with more toilet visits and extra pints it will be a nightmare in the stands.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

... sadly....I look too much like a thug to get away with drinking pints in the ground...I really don't want the newbees in E115 to think worse of me than they already do....with all my shouting swearing and glaring at the aways....I don't mind them feeling uneasy about my presence...but if taking drink into the ground changes that to fear and then contempt....I'd find that rather upsetting...so for that reason.... I'm out....and Andy's right I do feel discriminated against.... I'm soooo misunderstood:cry:
 
Last edited:

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Interesting reaction on here.

I think people are influenced by seeing the beer throwing at England games during major tournaments but look around you next time you are at the Gtech and ask yourself if the people around you are the type to indulge in that sort of behaviour. I think in the vast majority of cases the answer would be no.

Appreciate away games are a slightly different kettle of fish though.

I like a beer at games but I hate the fact that I’ve got to chuck it down my neck in 10 minutes (after queuing) during half time and that sort of bingeing only leads to people getting more inebriated.

Also would allow more people to remain in the stands at half time and create a more relaxed atmosphere while taking some pressure off the catering staff and reducing waiting times.

It’s a tentative yes from me at this stage.

There is more than enough people now coming in late or going early. Then there are those who have to answer the call of nature. Every time someone stands up several people who have paid top prices miss a bit of the action. This daft idea will only make things far worse.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Providing the drinkers use a hydration style backpack and urine catheter bag I don't have a problem. They can drink and p1ss in the same spot without disturbing anyone.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

For those near a radio this is currently being discussed on LBC.

Host, who is a Barnet fan, is supportive of the change.

Will obviously be available to listen to later on the app.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Don't get me started on people stuffing their faces at the cinema! Even popcorn is bad given the gargantuan size of the buckets. Just watch the sodding film!

The last time I went to the Cinema was to see some phycological thriller, it was a quiet slow burner. This bloke turned up and sat next to me with his wife and a burger king in a bag. He sat there rustling the chips out of this bag and slurping the burger, he passed the bag to the wife so she could dip into the chips. I gave them 5 mins to finish, then snapped. You have to stop eating that mate, honestly, I can not hear any of the film. He looked like I had slapped his face, total shock. He did put it down. I have never had anyone make so much noise in a cinema before.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Yeah the whole cant people wait thing is also a bit tiresome.

Would rather buy a drink and not have to shove it down my neck in 10mins probably having a worse affect on me then sitting there sipping it.

Turn up earlier then, how long does it take to drink a pint.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Yeah the whole cant people wait thing is also a bit tiresome.

Would rather buy a drink and not have to shove it down my neck in 10mins probably having a worse affect on me then sitting there sipping it.

You can sit in the pub all day long as far as I am concerned, but don't expect me to stand up 15 times disturbing my game because you are getting another or going for yet another piss. If you are that desperate, get there 10 mins early and drink it in 20 minutes, or go down 10 minutes before half time. It's your choice, but don't inflict it on me thanks.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

The last time I went to the Cinema was to see some phycological thriller, it was a quiet slow burner. This bloke turned up and sat next to me with his wife and a burger king in a bag. He sat there rustling the chips out of this bag and slurping the burger, he passed the bag to the wife so she could dip into the chips. I gave them 5 mins to finish, then snapped. You have to stop eating that mate, honestly, I can not hear any of the film. He looked like I had slapped his face, total shock. He did put it down. I have never had anyone make so much noise in a cinema before.
Whilst on first glance this seems off topic it really isn’t. The essence of this growing trend of behaviour is a generation who have never been told no.

“No, you can’t have another beer, you had one 45 minutes ago”

Replace the word beer with ice cream and I think you get my point.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Unless I’ve forgotten about a recent(ish) friendly we played against them where behaviour such as was posted was documented, that’s irrelevant.
Give me Celtic and Rangers fans over Rugby fans any day of the week.
Neither are the best behaved at tines,but in my experience they are better than the egg chasers.
In my experience of course and not what people have written.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Give me Celtic and Rangers fans over Rugby fans any day of the week.
Neither are the best behaved at tines,but in my experience they are better than the egg chasers.
In my experience of course and not what people have written.
Basing the debate on who sh*ts in the least gardens is probably not the way forward.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

No one is compelling you to force a drink down your neck due to time constraints. Just go to a pub early, drink as much as you like and then leave to get to the stadium in good time. The Express is 5 minutes away. Get there by 11.00. Leave at 2.45 (to allow for crowds), watch the first half, get another pint at half time, get back to your seat for the second half and then ask the person next to you what the final score was when you wake up. Go back to the pub (if you can still walk) and get some more pints in at your leisure.

Simple.
This is the worst case of someone telling me how to run my life which is a pretty bizarre thing to come up with, frankly.
We're adults and having the choice to have a drink at football is hardly unreasonable considering the number of other sporting events I can have a drink at also. Yet some of the people who are so vehemently opposed to it aren't even willing to give it a go, as per my previous posts about piloting it.
My point is that nobody knows what will happen and how disruptive it may or may not be.
I simply don't understand how anyone can be so against a trial. We're so far removed from the 1980's. If I fancy a drink at half time, but don't really want to neck it (I can't really neck pints any more), then why can't I take it to my seat? How is that so offensive? Just maybe I'm pretty busy during the day so I don't get much of a chance to have a drink with mates before the game. You don't know me and my life. Yet you, and others, are just stubbornly opposed to something that you cannot predict. How do you or others know that there will be beer showers, constantly having to get up for people to go to the toilet, etc? That's just an assumption but not backed up with any evidence whatsoever.
I've said that I will support the continuation of the ban should the pilot support this. But why not pilot it?
I'm glad I don't take the attitude where I feel compelled to say no to something that's hardly offensive, without trial. Otherwise nothing in my company would ever get done. There would always be something negative to think about any possible decision to be had.
Just trial it. I'll be happy to oppose it once a trial and observations are conducted. But for now, I'd like to see it trialled.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

There is more than enough people now coming in late or going early. Then there are those who have to answer the call of nature. Every time someone stands up several people who have paid top prices miss a bit of the action. This daft idea will only make things far worse.
Monsters, the lot of them
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

If I fancy a drink at half time, but don't really want to neck it (I can't really neck pints any more), then why can't I take it to my seat? How is that so offensive? Just maybe I'm pretty busy during the day so I don't get much of a chance to have a drink with mates before the game. You don't know me and my life.
Tough quite frankly.

As you rightly point out we are adults. Adults are supposed to be able to do delayed gratification.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Whilst on first glance this seems off topic it really isn’t. The essence of this growing trend of behaviour is a generation who have never been told no.

“No, you can’t have another beer, you had one 45 minutes ago”

Replace the word beer with ice cream and I think you get my point.
That’s assuming anyone who wants the option of having a drink is either young, entitled, or some combination of the two. I’m neither.

For me, it’s simply about treating adults like adults and giving people a choice. As I’ve said in previous posts, I’d support a trial precisely so we can see what effect allowing people to drink at their seats actually has on the matchday experience — for those who want to drink and those who don’t.

At my stage of life, I rarely have time to meet friends for a drink before a game. I normally get into the ground 5–10 minutes before kick-off. At half-time I’d rather go down to the concourse and catch up with friends who sit elsewhere than spend those few minutes necking a pint. And after the game I’m heading home.

So these days I generally don’t drink at matches. Not because I don’t want a beer, but because the current arrangements don’t really suit me. If I could take a pint back to my seat and drink it at my leisure while watching the game, I probably would. I don’t get many opportunities for a drink these days, and having a couple over the course of a match would be something I’d enjoy.

Wanting that choice doesn’t mean I’ve “never been told no”, nor do I think it makes me entitled. And I don’t think replacing the word “beer” with “ice cream” really addresses the argument being made.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

The last time I went to the Cinema was to see some phycological thriller, it was a quiet slow burner. This bloke turned up and sat next to me with his wife and a burger king in a bag. He sat there rustling the chips out of this bag and slurping the burger, he passed the bag to the wife so she could dip into the chips. I gave them 5 mins to finish, then snapped. You have to stop eating that mate, honestly, I can not hear any of the film. He looked like I had slapped his face, total shock. He did put it down. I have never had anyone make so much noise in a cinema before.
Well in, mate!!!
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Tough quite frankly.

As you rightly point out we are adults. Adults are supposed to be able to do delayed gratification.
I find it slightly odd that a discussion about whether adults should be given more choice has turned into a lecture about delayed gratification. I’m not demanding a pint because I’m incapable of waiting for one. I’m questioning why I should have to neck one in ten minutes simply because somebody else has decided that taking 45 minutes over the same pint in my seat is unacceptable.

Seems to me that you want to win an argument without reasonably discussing it as you stubbornly dig your heels in.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

That’s assuming anyone who wants the option of having a drink is either young, entitled, or some combination of the two. I’m neither.

For me, it’s simply about treating adults like adults and giving people a choice. As I’ve said in previous posts, I’d support a trial precisely so we can see what effect allowing people to drink at their seats actually has on the matchday experience — for those who want to drink and those who don’t.

At my stage of life, I rarely have time to meet friends for a drink before a game. I normally get into the ground 5–10 minutes before kick-off. At half-time I’d rather go down to the concourse and catch up with friends who sit elsewhere than spend those few minutes necking a pint. And after the game I’m heading home.

So these days I generally don’t drink at matches. Not because I don’t want a beer, but because the current arrangements don’t really suit me. If I could take a pint back to my seat and drink it at my leisure while watching the game, I probably would. I don’t get many opportunities for a drink these days, and having a couple over the course of a match would be something I’d enjoy.

Wanting that choice doesn’t mean I’ve “never been told no”, nor do I think it makes me entitled. And I don’t think replacing the word “beer” with “ice cream” really addresses the argument being made.
Fairly sure I know who you are and certainly know your posts. It’s clear to me that you and others like you wouldn’t be the problem. Accidental spillage is obviously a massive potential problem, but I think we all also know that certain herberts would take it too far and ruin it.

The simple fact is, you do have an option to have a drink with your mates in a pub should you choose. Your schedule is rather here nor there. For the person or persons in your or other par takers vicinity, they can only get that live sporting experience there and then, that they’ve probably been waiting all week for too. And it is clear that even with zero bad behaviour, increased “traffic” to and from would be a ballache at the very least.

All things considered, I’m out.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Whilst on first glance this seems off topic it really isn’t. The essence of this growing trend of behaviour is a generation who have never been told no.

“No, you can’t have another beer, you had one 45 minutes ago”

Replace the word beer with ice cream and I think you get my point.
I can't tell the person's age from @mhead bee's post.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Fairly sure I know who you are and certainly know your posts. It’s clear to me that you and others like you wouldn’t be the problem. Accidental spillage is obviously a massive potential problem, but I think we all also know that certain herberts would take it too far and ruin it.

The simple fact is, you do have an option to have a drink with your mates in a pub should you choose. Your schedule is rather here nor there. For the person or persons in your or other par takers vicinity, they can only get that live sporting experience there and then, that they’ve probably been waiting all week for too. And it is clear that even with zero bad behaviour, increased “traffic” to and from would be a ballache at the very least.

All things considered, I’m out.
Thanks. Nice to know that I'm not considered to be a potential problem.

You’ve identified three potential problems: spillage, people taking it too far, and increased traffic to and from seats. I’m not dismissing any of those concerns. I’m saying let’s find out whether they actually materialise to a significant degree, rather than simply assuming they will.

Run the trial and If it creates the problems you’re concerned about, then there’s a good evidence-based argument not to extend it. If it doesn’t, then perhaps the objections aren’t as significant in practice as they appear in theory.

That’s the bit I don’t understand about being completely opposed to even a trial. I’m not arguing “I want a beer, therefore everyone else can lump it.” I’m suggesting we test whether it can work without adversely affecting other supporters.

“All things considered, I’m out” is a perfectly reasonable position on whether you personally like the idea. I just don’t see why it follows that we shouldn’t even find out whether it could work.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Thanks. Nice to know that I'm not considered to be a potential problem.

You’ve identified three potential problems: spillage, people taking it too far, and increased traffic to and from seats. I’m not dismissing any of those concerns. I’m saying let’s find out whether they actually materialise to a significant degree, rather than simply assuming they will.

Run the trial and If it creates the problems you’re concerned about, then there’s a good evidence-based argument not to extend it. If it doesn’t, then perhaps the objections aren’t as significant in practice as they appear in theory.

That’s the bit I don’t understand about being completely opposed to even a trial. I’m not arguing “I want a beer, therefore everyone else can lump it.” I’m suggesting we test whether it can work without adversely affecting other supporters.

“All things considered, I’m out” is a perfectly reasonable position on whether you personally like the idea. I just don’t see why it follows that we shouldn’t even find out whether it could work.
I did mean that genuinely, you are always a thoughtful poster who is worth listening to.

You make a good case but even pretty seasoned drinkers have been saying it’s not needed.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I did mean that genuinely, you are always a thoughtful poster who is worth listening to.

You make a good case but even pretty seasoned drinkers have been saying it’s not needed.
That's nice of you to say.

I'll finish my evening with "need vs choice". Have a good night's sleep.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

This is the worst case of someone telling me how to run my life which is a pretty bizarre thing to come up with, frankly.
We're adults and having the choice to have a drink at football is hardly unreasonable considering the number of other sporting events I can have a drink at also. Yet some of the people who are so vehemently opposed to it aren't even willing to give it a go, as per my previous posts about piloting it.
My point is that nobody knows what will happen and how disruptive it may or may not be.
I simply don't understand how anyone can be so against a trial. We're so far removed from the 1980's. If I fancy a drink at half time, but don't really want to neck it (I can't really neck pints any more), then why can't I take it to my seat? How is that so offensive? Just maybe I'm pretty busy during the day so I don't get much of a chance to have a drink with mates before the game. You don't know me and my life. Yet you, and others, are just stubbornly opposed to something that you cannot predict. How do you or others know that there will be beer showers, constantly having to get up for people to go to the toilet, etc? That's just an assumption but not backed up with any evidence whatsoever.
I've said that I will support the continuation of the ban should the pilot support this. But why not pilot it?
I'm glad I don't take the attitude where I feel compelled to say no to something that's hardly offensive, without trial. Otherwise nothing in my company would ever get done. There would always be something negative to think about any possible decision to be had.
Just trial it. I'll be happy to oppose it once a trial and observations are conducted. But for now, I'd like to see it trialled.
No thanks. We've done ok without the need for a "trial". Especially when you are outvoted 4 to 1.

Should we have a trial for murdering people too? (you know what I mean, most of us don't want it - thanks very much)
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Turn up earlier then, how long does it take to drink a pint.
Depends where you are in the round and whether your moving to an expensive or cheap pub for the next serving
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

That’s assuming anyone who wants the option of having a drink is either young, entitled, or some combination of the two. I’m neither.

For me, it’s simply about treating adults like adults and giving people a choice. As I’ve said in previous posts, I’d support a trial precisely so we can see what effect allowing people to drink at their seats actually has on the matchday experience — for those who want to drink and those who don’t.

At my stage of life, I rarely have time to meet friends for a drink before a game. I normally get into the ground 5–10 minutes before kick-off. At half-time I’d rather go down to the concourse and catch up with friends who sit elsewhere than spend those few minutes necking a pint. And after the game I’m heading home.

So these days I generally don’t drink at matches. Not because I don’t want a beer, but because the current arrangements don’t really suit me. If I could take a pint back to my seat and drink it at my leisure while watching the game, I probably would. I don’t get many opportunities for a drink these days, and having a couple over the course of a match would be something I’d enjoy.

Wanting that choice doesn’t mean I’ve “never been told no”, nor do I think it makes me entitled. And I don’t think replacing the word “beer” with “ice cream” really addresses the argument being made.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I’m not too fussed about being able to drink during the game as there is plenty of time around it to do so. What surprises me is how put out people seem to be by ‘traffic’ to and from seats, it just involves standing for a few seconds which is something I generally do ten times a half linked to shots, corners, fouls, sh1t reffing etc.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

There would have been people just to the right of me who missed Fabio's goal on Friday as someone in the row in front made everyone stand up so they could leave early. Drives me mad and would just be made worse by this awful idea. Fine on a terrace but just so selfish in a cinema, theatre or seated stand.
Its one thing wanting to leave early, and Ioften do at halftime with an aged bladder. But have the good grace to wait till the ball is out of play, and its clearly gonna be 10 seconds before anything happens
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Wondering how some of you would cope if you were my height trying to watch a game at football!
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

FFS if you desperately “need” a drink at half time you need medical assistance
I don’t NEED a drink. It’s just quite nice to have one at half time. The STs around me were all strangers when we started at Gtech in 2021. The point when we realised we were friends was a couple of seasons in and started having a half time pint together. I mainly drive to games so it’s my only one of the day. It’d be even nicer if when choosing to do so it didn’t take leaving on 40 mins to queue and then finding it necessary to down it in one to get back to the game.

I don’t recall the pints flying in the concourse when we’ve scored right after second half kick off.

I think there are very few BoxPark tw*ts at Gtech among my fellow fans.

If the ban is removed and BFC considers introducing the ability to drink in sight to the pitch would everyone want me/BIAS to say “no, absolutely not in any way, anywhere, or under any circumstances”?
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

What if instead you took a break in the middle of each 1/2 so everyone could go get a drink? Just spitballing here.
The break in the middle of the game ( :idea:) already is not good enough for a drink apparently.
Maybe we can just start serving half pints instead of pints so everyone can finish their drink and get back to their seat 🤷🏼‍♂️
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I don’t NEED a drink. It’s just quite nice to have one at half time. The STs around me were all strangers when we started at Gtech in 2021. The point when we realised we were friends was a couple of seasons in and started having a half time pint together. I mainly drive to games so it’s my only one of the day. It’d be even nicer if when choosing to do so it didn’t take leaving on 40 mins to queue and then finding it necessary to down it in one to get back to the game.

I don’t recall the pints flying in the concourse when we’ve scored right after second half kick off.

I think there are very few BoxPark tw*ts at Gtech among my fellow fans.

If the ban is removed and BFC considers introducing the ability to drink in sight to the pitch would everyone want me/BIAS to say “no, absolutely not in any way, anywhere, or under any circumstances”?
I would expect BIAS to consult its members and report back to the club accordingly
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I don’t NEED a drink. It’s just quite nice to have one at half time. The STs around me were all strangers when we started at Gtech in 2021. The point when we realised we were friends was a couple of seasons in and started having a half time pint together. I mainly drive to games so it’s my only one of the day. It’d be even nicer if when choosing to do so it didn’t take leaving on 40 mins to queue and then finding it necessary to down it in one to get back to the game.

I don’t recall the pints flying in the concourse when we’ve scored right after second half kick off.

I think there are very few BoxPark tw*ts at Gtech among my fellow fans.

If the ban is removed and BFC considers introducing the ability to drink in sight to the pitch would everyone want me/BIAS to say “no, absolutely not in any way, anywhere, or under any circumstances”?
Not everyone, no, but does not the poll at the top of the page give an idea of the general consensus?
 
Back
Top Bottom