Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech (6 Viewers)

Beer in the stands?


  • Total voters
    390

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I go to every game and I don't think I can recall anyone leaving their seat during a game and coming back with loads of food (they obv can't come back with beer). People eat and drink plenty before and at half time but where I sit, nobody is eating food during the game.
The biggest problem we have in the North Stand are people still arriving at their seats at the start of each half up to 15 minutes late, probably because they havent finished eating or drinking. This is so frustrating and selfish, but goes on every week, something needs to be done imo.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

All this talk of "we're adults, give us a choice".. You have choices. Your choice has a consequence.
Honestly, if the issue is "finishing your drink at HT without rushing it" why can you not order a smaller drink that you could drink in the alloted time? Or just wait till the end of the game? Or watch the screens on the concourse?

Let's get troughs in West Stand terrace so I can have a piss without missing any of the game.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Not everyone, no, but does not the poll at the top of the page give an idea of the general consensus?
Exactly. It's not as if it's a tight margin either.
 
Last edited:

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

The biggest problem we have in the North Stand are people still arriving at their seats at the start of each half up to 15 minutes late, probably because they havent finished eating or drinking. This is so frustrating and selfish, but goes on every week, something needs to be done imo.
You should try the f***ing south stand. I do wonder if they leave the theatre 5 minutes before the end too.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Not everyone, no, but does not the poll at the top of the page give an idea of the general consensus?
Yes, a useful snapshot combined with the many thoughtful comments.

If the ban is removed a more nuanced set of polls will help. As with many things a straight yes/no to something with a load of shades in between might have some drawbacks.

Ultimately if the club were minded to take advantage of the ban being lifted it’d be a commercial decision that would need to fit fan preferences.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Give me Celtic and Rangers fans over Rugby fans any day of the week.
Neither are the best behaved at tines,but in my experience they are better than the egg chasers.
In my experience of course and not what people have written.

I agree to an extent. Rugby atmosphere is great, you all sing songs together, get blind drunk, hug the oppo and have a great day out and nobody gets upset if they lose. But I don't want that at football, the tribalism and passion and hatred for 90 mins makes it what it is. What Matt Busby said, football feels like life and death for 90 minutes and that is what makes it what it is, I don't want it any other way, I don't enjoy the tourism and part timers bringing their girlfriends to look at their phones, but it is what it is. But I think all football fans are capable of hating the oppo fans and abusing them, and then walk back to the car talking about their pensions afterwards like the best of mates. Its a release for 90 mins.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

The biggest problem we have in the North Stand are people still arriving at their seats at the start of each half up to 15 minutes late, probably because they havent finished eating or drinking. This is so frustrating and selfish, but goes on every week, something needs to be done imo.

The answer isn't to let them get up every 5 minutes during the game to increase that annoyance. Its not like half time is going to become longer (yet) to allow people to see the game, and if they are bringing drinks up whether at half time or during the game, they are still going to miss parts of it.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

The answer isn't to let them get up every 5 minutes during the game to increase that annoyance. Its not like half time is going to become longer (yet) to allow people to see the game, and if they are bringing drinks up whether at half time or during the game, they are still going to miss parts of it.
Not sure what your point is?
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Yes, a useful snapshot combined with the many thoughtful comments.

If the ban is removed a more nuanced set of polls will help. As with many things a straight yes/no to something with a load of shades in between might have some drawbacks.

Ultimately if the club were minded to take advantage of the ban being lifted it’d be a commercial decision that would need to fit fan preferences.
Sorry, but that final paragraph has me feeling a bit "Rebusy".
Surely the point of BIAS is to argue the point of the fans preferences over whatever minimal commercial advantages there is, especially surrounding a change in law that's aimed at giving the fans "what they want" rather than giving clubs/caterers scope to make a bit more money?
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I probably drink less at Womens football matches becuase I can drink all the time.

The worries around drinking with all day opening appear to be unfounded and have probably lead to less binge drinking.

The reality of drinking Pitch Side at matches, is that instead of gulping a pint down just before kick off and holding it in during the first half... supporters will have a pee, go to the bar... take their seat... put their beer between their legs and occasionally sup it... visit the toilet at half time before the bar... socialise more becuase im not queuing... by a pint and return to my seat.

There will be no chance of a beer shower in the North East and South Stands.

Admittedly there could be more of a risk in the West Stand and the Away End where fans are standing... a lot of non league grounds utilise beer glass holders which hang over the railings, so maybe the safe standing rails could be adapted (cant remember if they are rounded or square) so that those who are standing can put there drink down.

It sounds like there could be a lot of scare mongering on this thread and people assuming the worse case scenarios rather than the positive aspects of such a change.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Sorry, but that final paragraph has me feeling a bit "Rebusy"
It like trying to etch the Bible on the head of a pin – it's never going to happen so discussing any detail is pointless... just like the head of a pin.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I understand as an international fan it’s not really my place to take part in this conversation, especially given I haven’t had the chance to make it over to the Gtech yet, but I did want to give some perspective.

I have long been a massive college american football fan, and I was a student at Auburn from 2020-2024 seasons, sitting in the student section, which is the equivalent to the west stand for college american football teams. Around my sophomore or junior year they started selling alcohol in the stadiums, and I (along with many others) was concerned about the same bellends many of y’all have mentioned throwing beer up in the air after a touchdown or a big moment. That was rarely if ever the case, and I sat right behind the fraternity sections, which I would argue are the most bellend of all bellends. If anyone did throw beer in the air, which was rare, our stewards were quick to react and kick them out. No warning, straight to it. And it was always only one person being an idiot rather than like a whole group.

I think the concern is undoubtedly valid, I just wanted to share from a similar scenario to hopefully ease the concerns of some people in case this ends up being the direction the club proceeds in.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

There is nothing more annoying than the same people getting to their seats late every home game, leaving 5-10 minutes early before half time, getting back 5-10 late after half time and leaving 5 minutes before the 90 minutes are up. When that happens, you are distracted from watching the game and sometimes key moments are missed. For instance, Carvalho's late goal last week. And certainly affects my two teenage Granddaughters who aren't the tallest. I think lifting the alcohol ban will make this worse. I go to the game to watch football first, enjoy the whole experience with my family and really can't understand why anyone would want to miss any part of a game. Maybe the throwing of beer won't be an issue, but I can't think of anything worse than being covered in beer until you get home, whether that is home or away games. Whilst you can have word with the culprit, it wouldn't be pleasant at the time. However, I am more concerned with having to get up and down in our seats more often.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I probably drink less at Womens football matches becuase I can drink all the time.

The worries around drinking with all day opening appear to be unfounded and have probably lead to less binge drinking.

The reality of drinking Pitch Side at matches, is that instead of gulping a pint down just before kick off and holding it in during the first half... supporters will have a pee, go to the bar... take their seat... put their beer between their legs and occasionally sup it... visit the toilet at half time before the bar... socialise more becuase im not queuing... by a pint and return to my seat.

There will be no chance of a beer shower in the North East and South Stands.

Admittedly there could be more of a risk in the West Stand and the Away End where fans are standing... a lot of non league grounds utilise beer glass holders which hang over the railings, so maybe the safe standing rails could be adapted (cant remember if they are rounded or square) so that those who are standing can put there drink down.

It sounds like there could be a lot of scare mongering on this thread and people assuming the worse case scenarios rather than the positive aspects of such a change.
What's the positive? People who "have to" rush their pint at half time, now don't?
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

There is nothing more annoying than the same people getting to their seats late every home game, leaving 5-10 minutes early before half time, getting back 5-10 late after half time and leaving 5 minutes before the 90 minutes are up. When that happens, you are distracted from watching the game and sometimes key moments are missed. For instance, Carvalho's late goal last week. And certainly affects my two teenage Granddaughters who aren't the tallest. I think lifting the alcohol ban will make this worse. I go to the game to watch football first, enjoy the whole experience with my family and really can't understand why anyone would want to miss any part of a game. Maybe the throwing of beer won't be an issue, but I can't think of anything worse than being covered in beer until you get home, whether that is home or away games. Whilst you can have word with the culprit, it wouldn't be pleasant at the time. However, I am more concerned with having to get up and down in our seats more often.
I feel exactly the same. Apart from people moving just to get to and from the bar early and late which is a balls ache at times. Where I sit in the South Stand beer being thrown shouldn’t be an issue.

For me it’s away games where I think it could be an issue with fans throwing beer in the air and wetting clothes. I don’t want to be on a three / four hour journey by train or car with wet clothes stinking of the local beer etc. Having witnessed some cup games on TV with large crowds of fans and huge amounts thrown in the air when a goal is scored at World Cup games is a concern. Well it is for me anyway.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

There is nothing more annoying than the same people getting to their seats late every home game, leaving 5-10 minutes early before half time, getting back 5-10 late after half time and leaving 5 minutes before the 90 minutes are up. When that happens, you are distracted from watching the game and sometimes key moments are missed. For instance, Carvalho's late goal last week. And certainly affects my two teenage Granddaughters who aren't the tallest. I think lifting the alcohol ban will make this worse. I go to the game to watch football first, enjoy the whole experience with my family and really can't understand why anyone would want to miss any part of a game. Maybe the throwing of beer won't be an issue, but I can't think of anything worse than being covered in beer until you get home, whether that is home or away games. Whilst you can have word with the culprit, it wouldn't be pleasant at the time. However, I am more concerned with having to get up and down in our seats more often.
I think that lifting the ban would help with people leaving early before half time so there is enough time and would mean more fans are back in time for the start of the second half. I certainly will do.

People leaving 5 mins before full.time will be due to travel circumstances and won't change if the ban is lifted.

Obviously this is my opinion, but I am someone that currently drinks at half time so feel pretty well placed to speak on this, and possibly moreso than someone that doesn't.

I also won't be chucking my cider around if we score. All that said I can't speak for others and that would be the biggest point. Lots of assumptions being made on behalf of other people who don't share the same tendencies, but I understand their concerns.

As already stated on this post, I think the best thing would be a short term trial and actually get some data on the tangibles rather than assumptions about what could happen.

Alluding to people being alcoholics because they enjoy a drink at half time aren't very helpful or constructive (not that you have stated that).
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

What's the positive? People who "have to" rush their pint at half time, now don't?
And if they don't rush at half time and are back in their seat for the start of the second half what are the negatives?
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

And if they don't rush at half time and are back in their seat for the start of the second half what are the negatives?
Ah yes because they just have to do that too.
Read the thread. I'm not repeating myself.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Sorry, but that final paragraph has me feeling a bit "Rebusy".
Surely the point of BIAS is to argue the point of the fans preferences over whatever minimal commercial advantages there is, especially surrounding a change in law that's aimed at giving the fans "what they want" rather than giving clubs/caterers scope to make a bit more money?
If it turns out the vast majority is strongly opposed to any form of relaxation that’s where we go. I suspect that will not in fact be the case. Even the c20% minority in the poll here might deserve some representation. Or making the club take the least unpopular option if it insists against opposition.

If the majority view is an absolute no, will we be able to do stuff like organise fans to refuse to buy alcohol in the ground at all until the club banned drinking it in sight of the pitch? Would that be a thing we could get enough to do?
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Comparing drinking in the stands at a mens football match with drinking at a womens football match, in a cinema, or at an Oasis gig is a false comparison.

These are completely different environments, with different atmospheres, crowd dynamics and expectations around behaviour.

You simply cannot assume that because alcohol is permitted in one setting, it should automatically be treated the same way in another. The context matters.

And if someone feels they cannot attend a football match without being able to drink throughout it, I think it’s fair to question whether the issue is really about the football or whether it’s about their relationship with alcohol.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Basing the debate on who sh*ts in the least gardens is probably not the way forward.
Mentioned once in a reply to a comment regarding the behaviour and rubbish left behind after a rugby match or matches.
I have not based this debate on who craps in certain places,but if you would like to then i suggest you create one.
Let me know where and when and i will give it a wide berth.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Comparing drinking in the stands at a mens football match with drinking at a womens football match, in a cinema, or at an Oasis gig is a false comparison.

These are completely different environments, with different atmospheres, crowd dynamics and expectations around behaviour.

You simply cannot assume that because alcohol is permitted in one setting, it should automatically be treated the same way in another. The context matters.

And if someone feels they cannot attend a football match without being able to drink throughout it, I think it’s fair to question whether the issue is really about the football or whether it’s about their relationship with alcohol.
I haven't read any replies in this thread from people saying they cannot attend a football match without being able to drink, as much as you try to insist this is the case.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I haven't read any replies in this thread from people saying they cannot attend a football match without being able to drink, as much as you try to insist this is the case.
....I believe you missed the key word.... 'throughout'....and actually that is the matter in a nutshell.... before...after....but not during.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

If it was back then the day where you could stand wouldnt be such an issue When i go to nonleague games its fine but the only problem at Gloucester you spend more time in the queue than watching the game.No from me
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

I think we are looking at this incorrectly. We have many different fans from different backgrounds, who will enjoy the experience in different ways. I believe we should allow it but only within certain sections of the stadium.

It gives fans more freedom to choose if it is not a priority or a priority for their match day experience and that can only be a good thing.

I do feel the ban, should be imposed on away sections though as the potential negatives as a collective outweigh the positives.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Empty glasses could solve the keep getting up, so someone can have a piss??? Lol
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Sultan that’s why I said with better beer in it did you miss that bit?
Don’t know they had screw top lids. Sorry.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Not sure what your point is?

You said something needs to be done about people drinking at half time, I said the answer isn’t allowing them to drink more during the whole game as they will still miss as much of the match and cause more aggro for us.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

There is nothing more annoying than the same people getting to their seats late every home game, leaving 5-10 minutes early before half time, getting back 5-10 late after half time and leaving 5 minutes before the 90 minutes are up. When that happens, you are distracted from watching the game and sometimes key moments are missed. For instance, Carvalho's late goal last week. And certainly affects my two teenage Granddaughters who aren't the tallest. I think lifting the alcohol ban will make this worse. I go to the game to watch football first, enjoy the whole experience with my family and really can't understand why anyone would want to miss any part of a game. Maybe the throwing of beer won't be an issue, but I can't think of anything worse than being covered in beer until you get home, whether that is home or away games. Whilst you can have word with the culprit, it wouldn't be pleasant at the time. However, I am more concerned with having to get up and down in our seats more often.
I'm being tongue in cheek, but is there nothing more annoying? 😉
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

You can sit in the pub all day long as far as I am concerned, but don't expect me to stand up 15 times disturbing my game because you are getting another or going for yet another piss. If you are that desperate, get there 10 mins early and drink it in 20 minutes, or go down 10 minutes before half time. It's your choice, but don't inflict it on me thanks.
Did I say I was?

Read my post again at the top. I’m not remotely in favour of allowing beer to be free flowing during a game.

A lot of “your” in there…….. you don’t have a clue what my needs are.

FYI I have no need on this subject.

HTH
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

There is nothing more annoying than the same people getting to their seats late every home game, leaving 5-10 minutes early before half time, getting back 5-10 late after half time and leaving 5 minutes before the 90 minutes are up. When that happens, you are distracted from watching the game and sometimes key moments are missed. For instance, Carvalho's late goal last week. And certainly affects my two teenage Granddaughters who aren't the tallest. I think lifting the alcohol ban will make this worse. I go to the game to watch football first, enjoy the whole experience with my family and really can't understand why anyone would want to miss any part of a game. Maybe the throwing of beer won't be an issue, but I can't think of anything worse than being covered in beer until you get home, whether that is home or away games. Whilst you can have word with the culprit, it wouldn't be pleasant at the time. However, I am more concerned with having to get up and down in our seats more often.
Correct.

If I had my way the CCTV should be trained on those that leave their seats on PG announcing "There will be a minimum of " and then a whole host of people rush to the lounges without listening if it is 1 minute or 15 minutes

Those people should have their season tickets withdrawn. And never be allowed to buy a ticket to a Brentford game again..........EVER
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Correct.

If I had my way the CCTV should be trained on those that leave their seats on PG announcing "There will be a minimum of " and then a whole host of people rush to the lounges without listening if it is 1 minute or 15 minutes

Those people should have their season tickets withdrawn. And never be allowed to buy a ticket to a Brentford game again..........EVER
Which might make sense where you sit, whereas in the real world, and I actually think it is worse for me than it ever was at GP, at least one of our group needs to leave at this point so that we stand half a chance of getting served before the second half starts, most often we all leave as it means people only get up once and then we stand a chance of having a pee too.

A lone ranger has no chance of having a pee and a beer at half time, one or the other.
 

Drinking alcohol in the stands at Gtech

Which might make sense where you sit, whereas in the real world, and I actually think it is worse for me than it ever was at GP, at least one of our group needs to leave at this point so that we stand half a chance of getting served before the second half starts, most often we all leave as it means people only get up once and then we stand a chance of having a pee too.

A lone ranger has no chance of having a pee and a beer at half time, one or the other.
Perhaps if no-one did this then it wouldn't be a problem getting served at HT.

I agree it is worse than it ever was a GP. Largely because in the South Stand there is an "included" bottle of beer and perhaps a f***ing pie included

It's like a reflex action to these "fans". The club needs to take STs away from these part-time fans.
 
Back
Top Bottom