NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 181 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pre-match pubs

Quote Originally Posted by south coast bees View Post
    Are you being serious???
    god knows
    don't worry, I always know best ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Voice from the Braemar View Post
    bendtner is defo better............believe me
    Trust me, Bendtner is a legend among the Danish fans, but I would prefer Vibe on my team any day of the week :-). But I'll gladly discuss that over a pint at the ground ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzy Bee View Post
    My favourite pubs are the Magpie & Crown or the Express Tavern, but they are a 10-15 minute walk from the ground.

This won't sell out so you should get tickets. Contact the club direct. They should be able to get you sorted out.

Come and stand on the Ealing Road terrace. Enjoy the game.
    10-15 minute walk? After a handfull, hopefully more, pints? Are you joking mate? I'm way too fat and lazy to walk that far after a few cold ones :-D

Quote Originally Posted by ruislip bee View Post
    WW I think our Danish, Scandinavian and Dutch friends have a special dispensation to use 'Guys'. It's part of their lingo. Don't go to Fulham Guys!
    No mate, leave it for the Americans and awkward middle class bosses with no friends
    It's banned in Brentford and that ban will soon spread across Europe.

Please use :

Mate
    Geez
    Fella
    Me ole mucker
    Flower
    Honey
    Darling

Dude is also banned

5. 1 user(s) liked this post
    scaramanga (22nd February 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by westwing View Post
    No mate, leave it for the Americans and awkward middle class bosses with no friends

Please use :

Mate
    Geez
    Fella
    Me ole mucker
    Flower
    Honey
    Darling

Dude is also banned
    Dude is banned?! Oooooooorrrrrhhh

Normally I'm a big fan of mate. I can't really see myself shouting "Oi, honey, next round is on you, flower" at one of the lads :-).
    But hey, when in Rome... of Brentford

Please use :

Mate
    Geez
    Fella
    Me ole mucker
    Flower
    Honey
    Darling

Dude is also banned
    If you want to add a West Country flair then also "orite my luverr"

Joined in Jun 2002
    From Now Chiswick (proud to be a YIMBY)
    5,245 Posts
    1,809 Likes for 1,049 Posts
    If you're walking from South Ealing Underground Station (Piccadilly Line), it's a brisk 15 minute walk and you'll pass two pubs, both on the right hand side of the road, before you get to Griffin Park itself.

The first will be "Roddy's Bar". It's a mediocre drinking hole in a converted shop and has nothing to recommend it, either to a football fan, or the general drinker (unless you simply cannot walk any further without a drink). Avoid.
    https://en-gb.facebook.com/roddys.southealing

The next is the Ealing Park Tavern. This is the alter-ego of Roddy's - a nice old pub with character, good beer and food, and a good place to go for a drink at any time (in my opinion). You could certainly do worse than have a pint there, but although there will be some Bees fans there (due primarily to the location close to GP), it's not what you would call a "proper" football pub:
    http://ealingparktavern.co.uk/

Anyhow, of the pubs already mentioned on this thread, I personally would say the Griffin might be the best of the three corner pubs for a visitor to GP and for a pub a little bit away from the ground, I always like The Globe:
    www.theglobebrentford.com

Finally, don't forget that for a half-time pint, there is a bar inside Griffin Park itself, "The Hive". It is located in the Braemar Road Stand, so is only accessible to those seated in that Stand or those standing on the Ealing Road Terrace.

And of those two, imo you really should opt for the Terrace, since in another few years, standing at English football matches will likely be a thing of the past (already is for the Premier League).

Joined in Apr 2003
    From 3d Jazz Mart-Motorcity.......
    53,716 Posts
    5,055 Likes for 3,426 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aberdeenbee View Post
    If you want to add a West Country flair then also "orite my luverr"
    ...............'Sweetheart' is used in Braunton a lot...............

Quote Originally Posted by nanny58 View Post
    Can't believe you haven't mentioned The Inverness some of the others you can't swing a cat round,oh and it's cheaper by far than all those mentioned for the same drinks ??????
    Compared to Denmark they'll all be cheaper. Worked in Arhus for a while, beer in supermarket was cheap and good but going out was a bit

Quote Originally Posted by Ealing Bee View Post

The first will be "Roddy's Bar". It's a mediocre drinking hole in a converted shop and has nothing to recommend it, either to a football fan, or the general drinker (unless you simply cannot walk any further without a drink). Avoid.
    Never had a problem with Roddy's myself, reasonably priced lager, plenty of tvs showing sports (incl. different football matches if they are on at the same time). It's a bit small but otherwise it's an ok stopping point on the walk to GP.
    Brentford are brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzy Bee View Post
    My favourite pubs are the Magpie & Crown or the Express Tavern, but they are a 10-15 minute walk from the ground.

This won't sell out so you should get tickets. Contact the club direct. They should be able to get you sorted out.

Come and stand on the Ealing Road terrace. Enjoy the game.

yes definitely Ealing Road terrace where you'll hear quite a lot of well informed fans with comments like " get it in the box"....."FORWARD".
    Football is not a matter of life or death, it's more important than that.

13. Quote Originally Posted by DanishDude View Post

Normally I'm a big fan of mate. I can't really see myself shouting "Oi, honey, next round is on you, flower" at one of the lads :-).
    Word of advice, if you get tickets for New Road and you can master the brumnie (Birmingham) accent, the Stewards will treat you like royalty.

Seriously though, I really hope you enjoy your day.

Quote Originally Posted by GP200 View Post
    ...............'Sweetheart' is used in Braunton a lot...............
    'awight winkle.....that's the one....

Quote Originally Posted by DanishDude View Post
    10-15 minute walk? After a handfull, hopefully more, pints? Are you joking mate? I'm way too fat and lazy to walk that far after a few cold ones :-D
    ::

Enjoy your trip geez/flower/sausage/mate

If you're walking from South Ealing Underground Station (Piccadilly Line), it's a brisk 15 minute walk and you'll pass two pubs, both on the right hand side of the road, before you get to Griffin Park itself.

The next is the Ealing Park Tavern. This is the alter-ego of Roddy's - a nice old pub with character, good beer and food, and a good place to go for a drink at any time (in my opinion). You could certainly do worse than have a pint there, but although there will be some Bees fans there (due primarily to the location close to GP), it's not what you would call a "proper" football pub:
    http://ealingparktavern.co.uk/

Anyhow, of the pubs already mentioned on this thread, I personally would say the Griffin might be the best of the three corner pubs for a visitor to GP and for a pub a little bit away from the ground, I always like The Globe:
    www.theglobebrentford.com

Finally, don't forget that for a half-time pint, there is a bar inside Griffin Park itself, "The Hive". It is located in the Braemar Road Stand, so is only accessible to those seated in that Stand or those standing on the Ealing Road Terrace.

And of those two, imo you really should opt for the Terrace, since in another few years, standing at English football matches will likely be a thing of the past (already is for the Premier League).
    Thank you very much, Ealing Bee! That was very helpfull, and I do count on going in the Ealing Road Terrace. I'm not good at sitting down at matches, unless I'm too plastered :-D.

Quote Originally Posted by BEEm us up Scotty View Post
    Word of advice, if you get tickets for New Road and you can master the brumnie (Birmingham) accent, the Stewards will treat you like royalty.

Seriously though, I really hope you enjoy your day.
    Errhm, wow do one pull os a brummie-accent? Do you have any good references? Maybe to a clip on YouTube, so we can prepare ourselves :-).

Thanks mate, I can't wait to go! Especially after your great win last night.

As am I but it doesn't stop me!

Enjoy your visit.

Yes mate, Dude is another Americanism that is not welcome, we'll let you off your user name, cos your learning
    the local lingo. Honey, Flower and Darlin are fine if we win, spread the love amongst the fellas (see how it works).
    As previously posted, best pre match boozers where proper Bees drink are The Globe, The Nelly and The Kings Arms Trust me, I'm a local

Have a nice day!!

Have a nice day!!
    Talking of Americanisms! ::

22. 1 user(s) liked this post
    Lush55 (22nd February 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brentford 4 Life View Post
    Talking of Americanisms! ::
    Wake up Sunshine!!!

Joined in Jun 2002
    From Now Chiswick (proud to be a YIMBY)
    5,245 Posts
    1,809 Likes for 1,049 Posts
    As previously posted, best pre match boozers where proper Bees drink are The Globe, The Nelly and The Kings Arms
    I'm not sure it is very, er, diplomatic to recommend the Nelly, aka The Lord Nelson, to a Danish visitor
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...enhagen_(1801)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...enhagen_(1807)

But assuming detente has broken out in the years since, then here it is:
    http://www.thelordnelsonbrentford.co.uk/

P.S. Very handy for The Globe - 2 mins away?

Wake up Sunshine!!!
    :: sorry dude.

I'm not sure it is very, er, diplomatic to recommend the Nelly, aka The Lord Nelson, to a Danish visitor
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...enhagen_(1801)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle...enhagen_(1807)

But assuming detente has broken out in the years since, then here it is:
    http://www.thelordnelsonbrentford.co.uk/

P.S. Very handy for The Globe - 2 mins away?
    Yep and The Globe is probably 4 minutes walk to the Kings Arms !!
    I feel like having a pint now.

27. 1 user(s) liked this post
    Ealing Bee (22nd February 2017)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brentford 4 Life View Post
    :: sorry dude.
    See ya Saturday Honey

Thread Information