NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 2349 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Allan Cockram

Thumbs up Allan Cockram

I was chatting to him after the centenary game in Stripes and he is no longer involved in football. He is now in the fire brigade. As I can remember he was an alright player with long girlie hair. He later managed St. Albans and one season the Isthmian league trialled a new rule of being allowed to kick the ball in instead of throw ins (it obviously didn't catch on). Alan never believed with this change of rule and for the whole season they just carried on with throw ins as normal and he stuck to his principals. I admired him for his stand against the tampering of football rules more than his footballing skills.

Seemed a decent enough chap.

Joined in Apr 2000
    From London
    52,924 Posts
    6,459 Likes for 2,774 Posts

Re: Alan Cockram

I remember a low diving header in the last minute of a game to earn a draw in a game we needed not to lose. Scored in the Royal Oak end. Superb.

His performance v Northampton away, in the year when we were bottom of the league and then had that storming run under Perryman, was superb. It was his 1st game back after a very long injury and Cobblers boys I knew said something like " That Gippo was brilliant". Anyone else remeber this, I think Deano lost some teeth scoring that day?
    Bees Up, Fulham Down.

AC was instrumental in our glorious cup run to the q/f's in 88-89........superb set piece player

not much of a tackler though
    great hair though

Joined in Apr 2000
    From In suspended animation
    16,224 Posts
    0 Likes for 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Banana
    I remember a low diving header in the last minute of a game to earn a draw in a game we needed not to lose. Scored in the Royal Oak end. Superb.
    I think he and Blissett had come on as subs and both scored.
    I'm being a bit thick here.

Joined in Apr 2000
    From In suspended animation
    16,224 Posts
    0 Likes for 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NorthamptonBee
    His performance v Northampton away, in the year when we were bottom of the league and then had that storming run under Perryman, was superb. It was his 1st game back after a very long injury and Cobblers boys I knew said something like " That Gippo was brilliant". Anyone else remeber this, I think Deano lost some teeth scoring that day?
    Deano lost his teeth at Maine Road in a League Cup tie, I remember him spitting them out in front of the away end.
    I'm being a bit thick here.

Joined in Apr 2000
    From London
    52,924 Posts
    6,459 Likes for 2,774 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbee
    I think he and Blissett had come on as subs and both scored.
    Yes. It's all coming back to me now.

I remember him scoring at home to Huddeersfield inbright sunshine on opening day of the season. He chipped the keepr from about 25 yards at Brrok Road end.

I also thought he was brilliant cos he's come to the dugouts before the start of each game and take a swig of brandy from a particular supporters hipflask. He did it EVERY game with out fail then would always run back on to carry on warming up with very localised cheers ringing in his ears.
    'There's only music, so that there's new ringtones'

Joined in Apr 2000
    From Ermmm.....Pass ?
    2,381 Posts
    5 Likes for 4 Posts

Still probably my favourite Bee of all time. Watch the goals of the season videos from about 88-92...some classic Cockram strikes in there.

Quote Originally Posted by wibs
    I remember him scoring at home to Huddeersfield inbright sunshine on opening day of the season. He chipped the keepr from about 25 yards at Brrok Road end.

I also thought he was brilliant cos he's come to the dugouts before the start of each game and take a swig of brandy from a particular supporters hipflask. He did it EVERY game with out fail then would always run back on to carry on warming up with very localised cheers ringing in his ears.
    Just remembering that one as I read this - my secong game at GP and my father's first since about 1949 he reckons - started him off again and he's probably done a good few hundred since. He was toying with the idea of going to Wimbledon - Arsenal.

Joined in Sep 2002
    From InThe Middle of Nowhere
    6,803 Posts
    0 Likes for 0 Posts

One of my all-time favourite players was Mr Cockram.never forget seeing him doing his little jig against Mansfielsd on a tuesday night when i was about 6 years old,It was very foggie that night and I remember going on the pitch with a police officer to get all the players autographs.

i remember that, we won 1-0. i'm sure it was up the ealing road end though. good old. good old allan. he was a postman round brentford last i heard.

i remember that, we won 1-0. i'm sure it was up the ealing road end though. good old allan cock. he was a postman round brentford last i heard.

Joined in Apr 2000
    From Sudbury Hill
    6,722 Posts
    1,188 Likes for 678 Posts

I think Perryman saw AC as a luxury player and he dropped him for Simon Ratcliffe for the Blackburn cup tie in 89. He was never going to play in a Holder team what with his ability to pass to feet etc and it was a shame he left. That diving header was a late equaliser in the game where tickets for Anfield were going on sale afterwards so half the crowd had left already to join in Keith Loring's magical mystery tour of Braemar Road. He could easily have tapped the ball in but he chose to dive headlong instead - class.
    Unidos y venceremos

Quote Originally Posted by Wise old Bee
    I think Perryman saw AC as a luxury player and he dropped him for Simon Ratcliffe for the Blackburn cup tie in 89. He was never going to play in a Holder team what with his ability to pass to feet etc and it was a shame he left. That diving header was a late equaliser in the game where tickets for Anfield were going on sale afterwards so half the crowd had left already to join in Keith Loring's magical mystery tour of Braemar Road. He could easily have tapped the ball in but he chose to dive headlong instead - class.
    oh yeah, bury 2-2. i think roger stanislaus scored the other one. my mate queued up for liverpool tickets and was gutted to miss the late bees revival. we should have won the cup that year!

Joined in Feb 2002
    From Can You See The Real Me?
    18,444 Posts
    1,820 Likes for 983 Posts

Great player was Alan.Didn't he manage Chertsey Town for a while??

Come on you Bees.

Joined in Apr 2000
    From Ermmm.....Pass ?
    2,381 Posts
    5 Likes for 4 Posts

St Albans, I think

Chertsey Town and St Albans

very average player..he did however score a fantastic goal once..it was the year before we lost to tranmere in the playoffs. We were pushing for a play off place at the end of that season as well.. we were drawing the game and late on the goaly hashed a clearance, the ball came to AC who chipped it in from about 30+ yards, a bit like sidwel versus stoke two years ago!

Joined in Apr 2000
    From Ermmm.....Pass ?
    2,381 Posts
    5 Likes for 4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mhead bee
    very average player..
    Mhead Bee....should rename you Dhead Bee....AC is still right up there with the most skillful players to grace the GP turf in my 20 years supporting the club

Joined in Aug 2003
    From Deepest Hampshire
    3,030 Posts
    293 Likes for 193 Posts

How memories fade in the mists of time...next thing someone will say Terry Scales was the Patrick Vierra of his time.....Alan Cockram was a good player but nothing exceptional.....

Joined in Apr 2000
    From Ermmm.....Pass ?
    2,381 Posts
    5 Likes for 4 Posts

What do you know ? You're Sc*ttish

Joined in Aug 2003
    From Deepest Hampshire
    3,030 Posts
    293 Likes for 193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Bee
    Wrong !!! Born and bred in England.....

Joined in Apr 2000
    From Ermmm.....Pass ?
    2,381 Posts
    5 Likes for 4 Posts

'Twas a joke.....

Joined in Aug 2003
    From Deepest Hampshire
    3,030 Posts
    293 Likes for 193 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Bee
    My job means I am often in Scotland...does not mean I am Scottish !!! Is California Bee American or Tellboycyp a Cypriot....I don't think so....do not assume my friend......and i would bet I have seen more Bees games than you will ever see...

Thread Information