NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1676 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.

Thread: Bill Gorman

1. Bill Gorman

Some time ago you asked what happened to Bill Gorman after he left Brentford F.C. Well, I am his daughter and can tell you that yes, he was Irish, but only by birth as he had a broad Scottish accent. He was also bald having lost his hair aged 19. In October 1950 he was appointed manager of Deal who played in the Kent League (semi-professional). After a couple of years, he stopped playing and was just the manager. They were the winners of the League in 1953-1954 for the first time in their history. In February 1955 he left football and went back to Bury in Lancashire (from where he'd joined Brentford), and took up his trade as an engineering inspector again. He never lost his love of football and was a regular at Bury's matches. He also travelled to a few other grounds as an unofficial scout for his old friend, George Poyser, who was manager at Manchester City for a short time. He took early retirement form his job in March 1975 but sadly his wife died suddenly only a few weeks later. He stayed in Bury, and, after a couple of heart attacks died in December 1978 at the age of 67. My sister works at Bury F.C. along with her daughter and my nephew is the groundsman at the club so the family link goes on. He would have been flattered by the comments posted on this forum, especially by Californiabee.

I would be only too pleased to provide further information about Bill and hiis career to any Brentford fan.

Joined in Apr 2000
    From Cosham, Portsmouth
    2,262 Posts
    430 Likes for 210 Posts

Re: Bill Gorman

The World is full of willing people .... some willing to work and the rest willing to let them

Joined in Apr 2000
    From Cosham, Portsmouth
    2,262 Posts
    430 Likes for 210 Posts

The World is full of willing people .... some willing to work and the rest willing to let them

I took this one from TOMOGP thread

Thank you for that very interesting info. My father often related to me what a fine player Bill Gorman was - a true Brentford legend! It is fascinating that his family still retain such close invovement in football.
    Once again, many thanks

Joined in Jan 2001
    From Garelochhead Scotland
    15,735 Posts
    735 Likes for 506 Posts

Bill really was a true Bees..LEGEND.....ever popular with the fans..thanks Bill..
    Better to bee a lion for a day......than a sheep for a thousand years......

He was one of my late grandad's favourite players. Always referred to him as 'Old Naked Brains'.
    Is THIS the in place to be......?

Joined in Dec 2003
    From London
    1,105 Posts
    113 Likes for 60 Posts

Not old enough to have seen him play, but 'Baldy Gorman' is a legend amongst all my uncles.
    Amusing message to follow

9. Can i say that the name of Bill Gorman still echo's in the Miners welfare club and bowling green's of Deal. Bill guided Deal to their only ever league championship, in 1954 and we had to wait until 2000 at wembley for our f.a vase win against Chippenham. I used to play for Deal in the late 1960's and early 70's and pictures of the 54 winning side were still on show in the club house,sadly there was a fire last year and all was lost but Bill is not forgotten.

Thread Information