NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1970 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 1 of 217 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Squad for 2011 / 2012 Season

1. Squad for 2011 / 2012 Season

It's fair to assume we'll be competing in League One again next season and I suspect many are expecting a serious push for promotion. I reckon we'll see several exciting new signings in the summer and possibly an exciting new manager too but the real talking point over the last few days seems to be which of our current squad should be retained for next season. Whoever the manager is, it seems clear that 'tippy tappy' is the way forward so a major factor is which of our players will be able to adapt and fit into that style of play.

Below is a list of all players contracted permanently to BFC:

Richard Lee
    Kevin O’Connor
    Craig Woodman
    Marcus Bean
    David McCracken
    Pim Balkestein
    Sam Saunders
    Nicky Forster
    Charlie MacDonald
    Myles Weston
    Michael Spillane
    David Hunt
    Kirk Hudson
    Sam Wood
    Ryan Blake
    Lewis Grabban
    Toumani Diagouraga
    Simon Royce
    Karleigh Osborne
    Stephen Wright
    Gary Alexander
    Simon Moore
    Leon Legge
    I've also done a bit of research to find out who's contracted until when. So this is what I found (if anyone knows how long Blake and Royce are under contract for, let me know and feel free the correct any errors):

July 2011

David Hunt
    Sam Wood
    Lewis Grabban
    Karleigh Osborne
    Stephen Wright

July 2012

Richard Lee
    Marcus Bean
    David McCracken
    Sam Saunders
    Nicky Forster
    Charlie MacDonald
    Kirk Hudson
    Gary Alexander
    Simon Moore
    Leon Legge

July 2013

Kevin O’Connor
    Craig Woodman
    Pim Balkestein
    Myles Weston
    Michael Spillane
    Toumani Diagouraga

TBC

Simon Royce
    Ryan Blake
    So obviously we have a fair few on long term deals thanks to Mr Scott.

I'll post my thoughts later but I felt this was a thread that was needed as so many seem to have opinions on who's good enough and who's not. Also, anyone know why Osborne didn't sign the three year extension that was reportedly on the table in January?
    Last edited by Ambrose_1889; 2nd March 2011 at 20:37.

Joined in Aug 2002
    From Sandhurst, Berkshire
    48,126 Posts
    12,940 Likes for 5,664 Posts
    Didn't Osborne sing a new deal in the summer (can't recall if it was 2 or 3 years). Ditto Bean - I thought AS gave him a new contract last autumn. I would also add that you can't really class Royce as a player.
    I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

3. Yes but according the official site, it was a one year contract http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/page/Fi...~31696,00.html

Although BBC seemingly think otherwise http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...rd/8708450.stm

Doubt it was three years if we offered him another three years in January http://www.hounslowchronicle.co.uk/w...9642-27945828/

I couldn't find anything about Bean given a new deal, the last was apparently a 2 year extension in summer 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Les Beeavinu View Post
    I would also add that you can't really class Royce as a player.
    I know, I went to Dagenham......

Joined in Aug 2002
    48,126 Posts
    There's only one man to turn to at times like this ........

There's only one man to turn to at times like this ........

On that list surely Hunt and Wright will definitely be released, Grabban probably too. There must be doubts as to whether Bean deserves a new deal as offering him a cushy new deal would ask questions as to our ambition, is he really going to get us out of this division or do we need to look at a higher calibre of player?

Hopefully we can offer Karleigh a long term deal and Wood too deserves a new deal also although may need to prove his fitness before the season is out.

Bean is contracted until 2012 according to this: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...676127,00.html

Joined in Aug 2002
    48,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Markybee View Post
    I meant abee - I assume that's where you were going ........

A new manager is going to have his hands very much tied in terms of how many new players he can bring in by the large number of players under contract beyond next season It is therefore likely that almost anyone out of contract in the summer will be released to free up capacity to bring players in. This could be unfortunate timing for the likes of Sam Wood who could end up being the fall guys.

An experienced manager good at wheeling and dealing might be able to offload several of those already under contract however.
    Not in the inner circle so can only give opinion not fact.

Joined in Apr 2000
    From Crondall,Nr Farnham
    25,091 Posts
    2,468 Likes for 1,414 Posts
    I see absolutely no point in this thread as we have no idea what will happen.New manager ? Exciting new signings ? Seems like a thread from some one with too much time on his hands .
    Hypnotise the lot of 'em !

11. Quote Originally Posted by alexcavell View Post
    Bean is contracted until 2012 according to this: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...676127,00.html
    First post edited accordingly

12. Quote Originally Posted by Bigbee View Post
    I see absolutely no point in this thread as we have no idea what will happen.New manager ? Exciting new signings ? Seems like a thread from some one with too much time on his hands .
    Don't really catch your drift here mate. It's just about who people think are good enough to help us challenge next season. Of course we have no idea what's actually going to happen.

I expect a new manager, yes (maybe that will be Forster) and exciting new signings..? What's your point?

Quote Originally Posted by JTofBFC View Post
    A new manager is going to have his hands very much tied in terms of how many new players he can bring in by the large number of players under contract beyond next season It is therefore likely that almost anyone out of contract in the summer will be released to free up capacity to bring players in. This could be unfortunate timing for the likes of Sam Wood who could end up being the fall guys.

An experienced manager good at wheeling and dealing might be able to offload several of those already under contract however.
    Would be dissapointing to see Sam go as he is a useful squad player at this level, however like you say unless the new man (assuming its not Forster) can wheel and deal a bit it looks like he might be cast adrift.

Didn't Osborne sing a new deal in the summer (can't recall if it was 2 or 3 years). Ditto Bean - I thought AS gave him a new contract last autumn..
    I understand he put contract talks on hold when Scott got the tin tack.
    Should hear of a new deal for KO in a few weeks.

If we are serious about promotion next year I would keep:
    GK: Lee, Moore
    DF: Spillane, Osborne, Legge, Pim, Bush, Woodman, Blake.
    MF: Saunders, Dave, Weston, Wood
    ST: Macdonald, Alexander

Release or offload:
    Hunt, McCraken, Hudson, Bean, KOC, Grabban, Wright.

Loans: Look at the posiiblity of signing Neilson, Bryne, Simpson if they continue to do well.

Joined in Dec 2007
    From Felpham, W.Sussex
    3,107 Posts
    597 Likes for 363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post

Suggesting KOC is released is like blasphemy at GP!!!!!! You will without doubt be struck down!!!! Beware the curse of KOC!!!!!!!

Release or offload:

Loans: Look at the posiiblity of signing Neilson, Bryne, Simpson if they continue to do well.

Joined in Feb 2008
    From Oswestry, Shropshire
    3,066 Posts
    654 Likes for 310 Posts
    I think we will release Hunt, Wood, Grabban and Wright. We will let McCracken, Hudson, KOC and Spillane go on frees or small fees. If any offers come in for Charlie or Alexander they will go as well. Forster probably won't play again either. If we are aiming for a squad of 22+ we would need another 10 signings or more.

18. Quote Originally Posted by bostonhanwell View Post
    I think we will release Hunt, Wood, Grabban and Wright. We will let McCracken, Hudson, KOC and Spillane go on frees or small fees. If any offers come in for Charlie or Alexander they will go as well. Forster probably won't play again either. If we are aiming for a squad of 22+ we would need another 10 signings or more.
    Release Wright, what have you been on?

Release or offload:

I would also add Macdonald to your offload list however any that have a contract of more than 12 months are likely to want a substantial payoff to leave early which would seriously reduce the amount of money available to bring new players in

Joined in Dec 2002
    From Market Harborough
    1,679 Posts
    366 Likes for 167 Posts
    [QUOTE=Chopper;1749920]If we are serious about promotion next year I would keep:

Release or offload:
    QUOTE]

I'd go with that but keep KOC - as a versatile squad player to come off the bench when required

Release or offload:

KOC, you're kidding right? hes signed a new contract and there is no way he will leave

Joined in Jun 2005
    From Salford
    10,682 Posts
    640 Likes for 408 Posts
    Look at the posiiblity of signing Neilson, Bryne, Simpson if they continue to do well.
    IMO the biggest disappointments this season have been Pim and Diagouraga I'd be very wary of signing the above permanently.

DF: Spillane, Osborne, Legge, Woodman, Pim, Bush*, Blake*
    MF: Saunders, KOC, Weston, Wood, Bean, Dave
    ST: McDonald, Alexander

Let them go if an offer comes in
    *Loan out

I reckon we need 10 new players (who would force those we currently have onto the bench) It would give us a squad of 23 to work with. If Grabban gets a chance and bangs a few in between now and the end of the season I wouldn't be averse to giving him a years contract.
    Seven steps to glory

I really hope we dont offload Dave !

Pim hasnt been given a proper chance IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Salford Bee View Post
    IMO the biggest disappointments this season have been Pim and Diagouraga I'd be very wary of signing the above permanently.

DF: Spillane, Osborne, Legge, Woodman, Pim, Bush*, Blake*
    MF: Saunders, KOC, Weston, Wood, Bean, Dave
    ST: McDonald, Alexander

Let them go if an offer comes in
    *Loan out

I reckon we need 10 new players (who would force those we currently have onto the bench) It would give us a squad of 23 to work with. If Grabban gets a chance and bangs a few in between now and the end of the season I wouldn't be averse to giving him a years contract.
    You would let one of our best players in Toumani GO?! Madness, complete madness.
    RiP;Allwright,Gould,Greechan,Hagan,Kennedy,Littler Purver,Robotham,Saunders,Shields,Walker

Thread Information