NOTICE Notice: This is an old thread. The last post was 1966 days ago. If your post is not directly related to this discussion please consider making a new thread.
Page 207 of 217 FirstFirst ... 107 157 197 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 ... LastLast
Results 5,151 to 5,175 of 5413

Thread: Squad for 2011 / 2012 Season

Quote Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
    He is a young centre back who occasionally plays for Maidenhead, not someone we should be looking at yet as he rarely plays. However they have a striker that other league clubs are looking at.
    He's in their under 18's team I believe.
    I presume it will be more for our youth team or development squad.

Quote Originally Posted by WARFIELD BEE View Post
    The reported fee for Freeman was 500k, 800k for Tubbs...
    The rumoured "spend" on Matt Tubbs is between 500,000-800,000; I doubt that it was the transfer fee received by Crawley. He wanted to go as soon as his boyhood team came in for him, so they were hardly going to keep him. It may be that the number is the total commitment from AFCB, that is a three and a half year contract, plus fees.
    When the wind of change blows some build walls, others build windmills...

Joined in Jul 2002
    From Hemel Hempstead
    10,214 Posts
    1,391 Likes for 743 Posts
    Forget Tubbs, there is no way Stevenage handed over 500k for Freeman.

Joined in Apr 2000
    From Ickenham normally to be seen wearing a Tu Tu and pink ballet tights....
    719 Posts
    179 Likes for 95 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeHomeSoon View Post
    He's in their under 18's team I believe.
    I presume it will be more for our youth team or development squad.
    I don't think he was being serious anyway, judging by his normal tweets

5. As a discussion point has any club recently got into the Championship without paying out fairly high fees for players i.e BRP for Charlton, Rhodes H,Fld, Evans Sheff Utd, and I know before someone reminds me they are not in the Championship yet, but I think to get Championship standard players without paying a fee (particularly strikers) has to be nigh on impossible doesnt it?

6. Quote Originally Posted by WARFIELD BEE View Post
    As a discussion point has any club recently got into the Championship without paying out fairly high fees for players i.e BRP for Charlton, Rhodes H,Fld, Evans Sheff Utd, and I know before someone reminds me they are not in the Championship yet, but I think to get Championship standard players without paying a fee (particularly strikers) has to be nigh on impossible doesnt it?
    ... Holt for Norwich, Lambert for Southampton, Beckford (did he cost money?) for Leeds.....

Lambert cost Saints 1M didn't he?
    Gary Hooper was a bargain for Scunny when they brought him for 175k, I think Mclean and Mackail-Smith were quite cheap for Posh as well.

8. Quote Originally Posted by mundee4england View Post
    ... Holt for Norwich, Lambert for Southampton, Beckford (did he cost money?) for Leeds.....
    Lambert was 1 Million, not sure what Holt was but it was a lot more than we seem able to pay.
    I think we are looking at free transfers or small fees

Quote Originally Posted by CTBee View Post
    Gary Hooper was a bargain for Scunny when they brought him for 175k, I think Mclean and Mackail-Smith were quite cheap for Posh as well.
    McLean and Boyd were both sold for what was huge monety back in the day - I haven't checked but sure Boyd was 250K ++ which in todays money would be equivalent to millions for a non league player. He was very well known as had played for England non league side and we just have to accept that we couldn't and still can't compete for a players signature when other clubs start waving the wonga.

10. No one has seemed to prove that you can get promotion without spending money sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by WARFIELD BEE View Post
    No one has seemed to prove that you can get promotion without spending money sadly.
    But you can also get relegated spending money. Just ask Luton, Plymouth, Leeds
    We don't own Brentford FC we have borrowed it from our children. Take care of it please

12. Quote Originally Posted by kevalutonbee View Post
    But you can also get relegated spending money. Just ask Luton, Plymouth, Leeds
    This is just an observation and maybee it means that we can only hold our own in Div.1 and should not expect better than our current
    position given the financial constraints, as I say just an observation but I guess we have to all hope for better, things might improve
    when Dev. squad is more established but I hope it doesnt take too long otherwise I will be pushing up the daisies by then.

Col U stayed up for a bit with Cureton etc on similar budget to us and even lower gates and Scunny did alright for a bit, but really competing against the bigger sides with 4 or 5 times our gate receipts makes it so hard. With a tight defence and maybe a couple of strikers maybe we could scrape a promotion but consolidating and staying up there looks a tall order.

The whole business is frustrating if you unearth a talented youngster it is next to impossible to hang on to. We can't afford anyone half decent and ageing strikers not seen targets for anyone else, but who can still find the net, or loanees is about it. Gloom !

On the bright side maybe we are doing a lot better than we think. I get Sheff Wed and Utd guys at work saying we are doing a remarkable job given our circumstances. There perception is a lot different from ours. Maybe its just us and about 40 years of disappointment. 8th in Div 3 with every hope of improving now that U.R. has gone through every conceivable formation in the history of the game and hit on the diamond might not be all bad !

14. Quote Originally Posted by sheffbee View Post
    Col U stayed up for a bit with Cureton etc on similar budget to us and even lower gates and Scunny did alright for a bit, but really competing against the bigger sides with 4 or 5 times our gate receipts makes it so hard. With a tight defence and maybe a couple of strikers maybe we could scrape a promotion but consolidating and staying up there looks a tall order.

The whole business is frustrating if you unearth a talented youngster it is next to impossible to hang on to. We can't afford anyone half decent and ageing strikers not seen targets for anyone else, but who can still find the net, or loanees is about it. Gloom !

On the bright side maybe we are doing a lot better than we think. I get Sheff Wed and Utd guys at work saying we are doing a remarkable job given our circumstances. There perception is a lot different from ours. Maybe its just us and about 40 years of disappointment. 8th in Div 3 with every hope of improving now that U.R. has gone through every conceivable formation in the history of the game and hit on the diamond might not be all bad !
    I think the diamond will only work in some games and probably those against the weaker sides, no wingers to help cover full backs could be risky against quick wingers, and I think you have more or less confirmed what I have said that given our financial restrictions 8th in division 1 is pretty good, combine this with good performances then we will be doing ok(as sat), anything else bar
    having a Russian Billionaire, which as we know is sometimes good sometimes not, then we are doing ok. I will settle for that and hope we can nick a promotion place at some stage in the future.

I have just picked up the local Bournemouth paper. The total transfer spend for them this January is 1,675,000

Quote Originally Posted by jmsljj View Post
    I have just picked up the local Bournemouth paper. The total transfer spend for them this January is 1,675,000
    and presumably there are higher wages going out of the till as well? i would want reassurance if I supported muff

Quote Originally Posted by sheffbee View Post

I think things have changed in the last couple of seasons, Scunny found surviving in the Championship unsustainable, same with Colchester. The levels are moving up in all divisions, just look at the teams in the Championship who are struggling?... and there are clubs in league 2 that have more supporters ( people who attend matches) than us, even the likes of Chesterfield have new shiny stadiums. There has been a lot of argument or banter today about BU and what value they add to the club ?, but in my mind the only way we going to get into the Championship is if Matthew Benham gets 100% control and then brings in other " wealthy" investors and we sign better players. I don't think it can be done on a shoestring anymore. Perhaps we need to re-align expectations and settle for the fact we are who we are ?
    Football is not a matter of life or death, it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by shouldbee View Post
    I think things have changed in the last couple of seasons, Scunny found surviving in the Championship unsustainable, same with Colchester. The levels are moving up in all divisions, just look at the teams in the Championship who are struggling?... and there are clubs in league 2 that have more supporters ( people who attend matches) than us, even the likes of Chesterfield have new shiny stadiums. There has been a lot of argument or banter today about BU and what value they add to the club ?, but in my mind the only way we going to get into the Championship is if Matthew Benham gets 100% control and then brings in other " wealthy" investors and we sign better players. I don't think it can be done on a shoestring anymore. Perhaps we need to re-align expectations and settle for the fact we are who we are ?
    much sense spoken here. A good squad of players and the right boss and success can be achieved and if momentum is with you even one or two romotions (think Blackpool) but over a sustained period of time the club invariably drifts back to it's level determined by it's fanbase and financial backers. With the work and money MB is putting being a smaller mid table side in the championship would possibly be within our upper reaches but I guess where we are at the moment would accurately reflect a club of our size and history. Still it is a fans wont to dream and the Managers, Directors and Players jobs to at least make us think that one day the dream can come true.

Quote Originally Posted by beebopalula View Post
    and presumably there are higher wages going out of the till as well? i would want reassurance if I supported muff
    I support a muff, I don't get any reassurance

I'm probably not very good in bed though

Joined in Apr 2000
    From Should be obvious
    5,495 Posts
    1,342 Likes for 757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taxi driver View Post
    I support a muff, I don't get any reassurance

I'm probably not very good in bed though
    That's what I heard, old son. ;-(

Quote Originally Posted by CTBee View Post
    Hooper was a real bargain & it was pretty obvious from his displays on loan for Hereford that he would be a great signing.Still can't understand how Southend didn't fancy him but there you are...

Interesting how McLean really did nothing in the early part of his career, went non-league & on his return to P'borough was suddenly a goal-scoring sensation. He may have exceeded his level now though...

Joined in Apr 2000
    From East Colnbrook but my heart in Dixie
    5,595 Posts
    953 Likes for 545 Posts
    Is there an underlying reason why we got none in. It is very unsettling but I hope just me

Quote Originally Posted by moribee View Post
    Is there an underlying reason why we got none in. It is very unsettling but I hope just me
    I reckon it was to piss you off!

Joined in Nov 2005
    From Czech Republic
    3,605 Posts
    395 Likes for 224 Posts
    I think Swansea is the interesting model. They did it slowly but surely, without spending huge sums in the early days. Maybe their combination of a new stadium, attractive football (that has helped to more or less fill it as the years went on) is the route to follow. Now you can se them passing teams like Chelsea of the pitch. If that's the route we are following then I only hope that I will still be around when we reach the promised land.

Joined in Apr 2000
    From East Colnbrook but my heart in Dixie
    5,595 Posts
    953 Likes for 545 Posts
    Players should want to come to us and if not Why not.

Thread Information