Page 50 of 96 FirstFirst ... 40 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 60 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 2378

Thread: Clayton Donaldson Signs

  1. Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyBee View Post
    Can you name one game when Donaldson missed 4 or 5 chances ?
    Chesterfield at home. If he scores a bunch next season that is great. I hope he doesn't spunk a million chances up the wall and decide to go on a run around April though.

    Quote Originally Posted by newbee79 View Post
    likely to exceed Alexanders total as his goals at a lower level dont count.As for letting go "the saviour" MacDonald,hes not really setting the world alight for mk.Id have money on Donaldson the finish with more goals now this season
    This is the sort of post which I find confusing and annoying. We are all glad to see Donaldson scoring. But why then does it mean that players that have left are somehow rubbish?

    The three strikers that have left have scored a combined 49 goals this season, Donaldson has scored 9. Let's have a bit of perspective here before we start slating Charlie Macdonald and Gary Alexander, both good servants to the club who are having good seasons with their new teams.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

  2. Quote Originally Posted by detours View Post
    Chesterfield at home. If he scores a bunch next season that is great. I hope he doesn't spunk a million chances up the wall and decide to go on a run around April though.

    This is the sort of post which I find confusing and annoying. We are all glad to see Donaldson scoring. But why then does it mean that players that have left are somehow rubbish?

    The three strikers that have left have scored a combined 49 goals this season, Donaldson has scored 9. Let's have a bit of perspective here before we start slating Charlie Macdonald and Gary Alexander, both good servants to the club who are having good seasons with their new teams.
    Clayton is better than Charlie. Saturday proved that. Were you there? Unless CM can get the ball in the 6 yard box, he doesn't offer a lot other than hard work, which Clayton brings anyway. I rarely see us get the ball in the 6 used box, so what use would CM be to us now?

    Imo, Clayton beats Charlie hands down, and I'd much rather have him

  3. Quote Originally Posted by steve.bees89 View Post
    Imo, Clayton beats Charlie hands down, and I'd much rather have him
    I'm not asking for Charlie back, just that people stop making these ridiculous statements like 'Clayton beats Charlie hands down'. When Clayton averages a goal every three games for us, I will agree.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

  4. #1229
    Quote Originally Posted by hypa123 View Post
    The pressure is hardly off when half the spectators are baying for your blood.
    I don't think anyone was 'baying for his blood', most fans appreciated while he wasn't scoring he was still offering a lot to the team. The crowd reaction to when he scored against Rochdale showed we all want him to succeed.

    The pressure was off for our season at that point, but it wasn't off him so I agree there... Gary leaving left him as our main striker. No one to hide behind anymore.... He said he'd step up and fair play to him, long may it continue.

  5. #1230
    Joined in Jun 2004
    From Western Cape, South Africa
    4,486 Posts
    210 Likes for 137 Posts
    clayton is very very good. bigger clubs will come calling.

    charlie was our fox in the box and a great fighter. also the first player we paid a fee for for years at the time he joined us. a bargain.

    different types of players. direct comparisons make no sense. like comparing john docherty with john o'mara. or stevie phillips with andy mcculloch.

  6. #1231
    Quote Originally Posted by blunstone View Post
    clayton is very very good. bigger clubs will come calling.

    charlie was our fox in the box and a great fighter. also the first player we paid a fee for for years at the time he joined us. a bargain.

    different types of players. direct comparisons make no sense. like comparing john docherty with john o'mara. or stevie phillips with andy mcculloch.
    Fecking hell, blunstone in sensible post shocker!!
    Bees Up, Fulham Down.

  7. #1232
    Quote Originally Posted by detours View Post
    I'm not asking for Charlie back, just that people stop making these ridiculous statements like 'Clayton beats Charlie hands down'. When Clayton averages a goal every three games for us, I will agree.
    I believe CM has scored 9 league goals for MK Dons. Marginally ahead of Sam Saunders.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by detours View Post
    I'm not asking for Charlie back, just that people stop making these ridiculous statements like 'Clayton beats Charlie hands down'. When Clayton averages a goal every three games for us, I will agree.
    Explain how its ridiculous. I was referring to all round play, which I think is pretty obvious in my post.

    They are different players I just think Clayton offers a hell of a lot more than Charlie does.

  9. #1234
    Cannot compare as all 3 have different strengths. Potentially clayton is the best as he has a combination of strengths. However the bottom line is potential, this needs to be fulfilled next season ( and this) at which point comparisons can be made

    From my perspective clayton offers far more with strength and pace, as such of the 3 he would be the one that I would expect to gain me success. Alexander was good at bullying the opposition, Charlie was good from 6 yards and likely to win penalties however neither had pace or were truly prolific

    Clayton now needs to continue his present form and then start the new season with it

  10. Quote Originally Posted by beebopalula View Post
    I believe CM has scored 9 league goals for MK Dons. Marginally ahead of Sam Saunders.
    Macdonald: 33 appearances, 11 goals, 10 assists. 1:3 goal ratio.
    Donaldson: 44 appearances, 9 goals, 11 assists. 1:5 goal ratio.

    Just trying to point out the quote 'Clayton beats Charlie hands down' is a) unnecessary and b) untrue.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

  11. #1236
    Joined in Jan 2001
    From Huddersfield
    6,763 Posts
    249 Likes for 126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by detours View Post
    Macdonald: 33 appearances, 11 goals, 10 assists. 1:3 goal ratio.
    Donaldson: 44 appearances, 9 goals, 11 assists. 1:5 goal ratio.

    Just trying to point out the quote 'Clayton beats Charlie hands down' is a) unnecessary and b) untrue.
    But that simplistic assessment ignores contributions to the team effort that do not directly lead to goals which can't easily be measured. Of the two, if you had to pick one, which would you have?
    I like cheese from the Galapagos Islands

  12. Quote Originally Posted by davebee View Post
    But that simplistic assessment ignores contributions to the team effort that do not directly lead to goals which can't easily be measured. Of the two, if you had to pick one, which would you have?
    The team sitting 5th picked Charlie, the team sitting 10th picked Donaldson.

    God this is tiresome, not every player that leaves Brentford is 'not good enough'.
    What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof

  13. #1238
    Joined in Jan 2001
    From Huddersfield
    6,763 Posts
    249 Likes for 126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by detours View Post
    The team sitting 5th picked Charlie, the team sitting 10th picked Donaldson.

    God this is tiresome, not every player that leaves Brentford is 'not good enough'.
    I wasn't making a judgement about whether or not CM was good enough or not! Just because MK Dons chose Charlie for their team and their style of football doesn't mean that he is automatically the better player. Your assessment WAS simplistic, you compared goals, assists and matches played. To measure a players performance you have to consider much more than goals and assists. I have seen hardly any games this season so I couldn't even begin to tell you what Donaldson's work rate and cotnribution to the team is.

    As we all know, at league 1 level you won't get a pacy powerhouse of a centre forward that drops deep and wins lost causes, can hold the ball up and excels at finishing with both feet and has a bullet header to boot..... So you have to pick a player who's skills best match the way you want to play as a team. Between them, GA, CM and CD probably had most of the characteristics of the complete forward and signing CD gave us pace up front which we sorely lacked. So in that respect he was probably a good signing.

    CM apaprently wanted a guaranteed start which was never going to happen so we made him available for a transfer. MK Dons needed a striker urgently as they had just sold their best player (Baldock I believe) and CM was available. That doesn't mean he was their first choise, just that of those available at shortish notice, he fitted the bill best.

    In my opinion, it is not about who is the better player per se, it is about which player is more suited to the system we want to play. It seems Uve is keen on playing one up front with a supporting attacking midfield. I am not sure that is the right system for CM to flourish and I think in the long term it could see us get the best out of CD - we just need the quality of midfielder to provide that support and for CD to get some confidence going.

    So I stand by what i said, your assessment is too simplistic to have any merit, and you sir are the one making judgements ratehr than having a meaningful debate.
    Last edited by davebee; 2nd April 2012 at 13:09.
    I like cheese from the Galapagos Islands

  14. #1239
    Joined in Jul 2011
    From Northolt
    8,337 Posts
    3,308 Likes for 1,802 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by detours View Post
    Chesterfield at home. If he scores a bunch next season that is great. I hope he doesn't spunk a million chances up the wall and decide to go on a run around April though.

    This is the sort of post which I find confusing and annoying. We are all glad to see Donaldson scoring. But why then does it mean that players that have left are somehow rubbish?

    The three strikers that have left have scored a combined 49 goals this season, Donaldson has scored 9. Let's have a bit of perspective here before we start slating Charlie Macdonald and Gary Alexander, both good servants to the club who are having good seasons with their new teams.
    if you read my posts you'll find i liked CM and GA but they both wanted to leave,simple as that,what is rediculous is posts on here blaming the Club or Uwe for them leaving when both of them done what they could to leave sharpish and didnt hesitate.My other point was that neither of them are that brilliant,no matter how much i liked them and out of the 3 strikers Donaldson is the one with most potential.Charlie is too injury prone and will miss a fair amount of a season,as he has every season since he joined us BUT we didnt get rid of him,he jumped ship.Gary has had a great season all things considering,but to give in and give a player whos knees are as shot as his,has poor mobility and wont get 15-20 goals next season let alone the season after would be madness in my eyes,ALTHOUGH the Club gave him a very generous contract offer of a year with an automatic 2nd year on appeances,a sensible and more than fair deal no ?He didnt want it,fair enough,thank you and goodbye Gary.
    your going on about people writing rediculous posts about players who didnt want to be here and left but i made a comment about CM not exactly scoring for fun at a "better,higher" as youve pointed out so why would he have scored more for us ? and that CD was pretty much level with him,or just behind and that i believe CD will finish with more goals where you responded with my "your post might look stupid after Saturday",i see that as belittling our own and showing no faith in him. But Saturdays gone,CD got another for us,CM topples himself over outside the box and gets a pen,would you count that as an asist ?anyway thats 4 points off them this season in 2 cracking results

  15. #1240
    Joined in Jul 2011
    From Northolt
    8,337 Posts
    3,308 Likes for 1,802 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SmiffyBee View Post
    Can you name one game when Donaldson missed 4 or 5 chances ?
    I can't....

    He's been due a goal and has now scored 4 in a few weeks.
    I reckon he'll get about 10 this season, below what Charlie used to average, but he'll get more than Charlie or Gary next season.
    CD has had games where hes not been central stiker but could probably be proved hes missed a fair few chances in a game,but Alexander and MacDonald were the same

    its stupid for people to keep harping on about players who done the off,they werent rid of,they done their best to leave.Yet people want to keep comparing them to a player who is still ours and by all accounts turned down bigger offers to join us,unlike the other 2.The one we've still got is the one who is likely to improve and is less injury prone.

  16. #1241
    Joined in Apr 2000
    From Selby
    6,093 Posts
    681 Likes for 310 Posts
    Clayton is Our player the other two decided to cut and run end of... The work he has put in week in week out has been phenomenal, when he wasnt scoring it would have been easy to hide but he didnt he kept on going putting himself in those positions so I am a big believer that we will see the best of clayton next year and the rest of this season
    Last edited by YorkBee; 2nd April 2012 at 16:24. Reason: punctuation

  17. #1242
    Quote Originally Posted by blunstone View Post
    clayton is very very good. bigger clubs will come calling.
    Well then Arsene, Fergie and Hughesy had better get a wriggle on. He's 28 now and not getting any younger. He's struggled to score goals at non-league and 4th Division level (and one 3rd Division season with us of course) in 9 out of 10 seasons of being a footballer. Can't help thinking the big clubs might have passed him by .
    If we beat Southend.

  18. #1243
    Quote Originally Posted by vcmazz View Post
    Well then Arsene, Fergie and Hughesy had better get a wriggle on. He's 28 now and not getting any younger. He's struggled to score goals at non-league and 4th Division level (and one 3rd Division season with us of course) in 9 out of 10 seasons of being a footballer. Can't help thinking the big clubs might have passed him by .
    Actually to be fair, I've just noticed he had a reasonable record in the Conference during two seasons at York City. Averaged about a goal every two games which can't be sniffed at I guess .
    If we beat Southend.

  19. #1244
    Quote Originally Posted by vcmazz View Post
    Well then Arsene, Fergie and Hughesy had better get a wriggle on. He's 28 now and not getting any younger. He's struggled to score goals at non-league and 4th Division level (and one 3rd Division season with us of course) in 9 out of 10 seasons of being a footballer. Can't help thinking the big clubs might have passed him by .
    Could have said the same about grant holt and look how it turned out for him

  20. #1245
    Quote Originally Posted by Hullbee View Post
    Could have said the same about grant holt and look how it turned out for him
    I really don't think you can compare the two either in terms of ability or their career goalscoring records .
    If we beat Southend.

  21. #1246
    Joined in Aug 2002
    From Sandhurst, Berkshire
    48,086 Posts
    12,901 Likes for 5,644 Posts
    I saw two lone strikers on Saturday - I know which one I preferred.
    I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

  22. #1247
    Quote Originally Posted by vcmazz View Post
    I really don't think you can compare the two either in terms of ability or their career goalscoring records .
    Careful the GPG negativity police will be after you

  23. #1248
    Quote Originally Posted by steve.bees89 View Post
    Clayton is better than Charlie. Saturday proved that. Were you there? Unless CM can get the ball in the 6 yard box, he doesn't offer a lot other than hard work, which Clayton brings anyway. I rarely see us get the ball in the 6 used box, so what use would CM be to us now?

    Imo, Clayton beats Charlie hands down, and I'd much rather have him

  24. #1249
    Quote Originally Posted by davebee View Post
    I wasn't making a judgement about whether or not CM was good enough or not! Just because MK Dons chose Charlie for their team and their style of football doesn't mean that he is automatically the better player. Your assessment WAS simplistic, you compared goals, assists and matches played. To measure a players performance you have to consider much more than goals and assists. I have seen hardly any games this season so I couldn't even begin to tell you what Donaldson's work rate and cotnribution to the team is.

    As we all know, at league 1 level you won't get a pacy powerhouse of a centre forward that drops deep and wins lost causes, can hold the ball up and excels at finishing with both feet and has a bullet header to boot..... So you have to pick a player who's skills best match the way you want to play as a team. Between them, GA, CM and CD probably had most of the characteristics of the complete forward and signing CD gave us pace up front which we sorely lacked. So in that respect he was probably a good signing.

    CM apaprently wanted a guaranteed start which was never going to happen so we made him available for a transfer. MK Dons needed a striker urgently as they had just sold their best player (Baldock I believe) and CM was available. That doesn't mean he was their first choise, just that of those available at shortish notice, he fitted the bill best.

    In my opinion, it is not about who is the better player per se, it is about which player is more suited to the system we want to play. It seems Uve is keen on playing one up front with a supporting attacking midfield. I am not sure that is the right system for CM to flourish and I think in the long term it could see us get the best out of CD - we just need the quality of midfielder to provide that support and for CD to get some confidence going.

    So I stand by what i said, your assessment is too simplistic to have any merit, and you sir are the one making judgements ratehr than having a meaningful debate.
    Post of the year

  25. #1250
    Joined in Apr 2006
    From Ashford(nice part)
    806 Posts
    58 Likes for 32 Posts
    i love clayton
    BELLO ITS BRIAN BADONDE BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Hutchinson signs
    By bees66 in forum Team and Transfer Talk
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 1st March 2004, 16:41
  2. New Keeper Signs
    By New Roader in forum Team and Transfer Talk
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 10th January 2004, 01:08

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •