Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider. (1 Viewer)

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

Definitely up there with the most heartbreaking days supporting the Bees. The roar when Rowlands put us up sounded immense to me (I only stood on the Royal Oak a couple of times). I walked home to Twickenham after in a daze which lasted for a week :cry:
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

Definitely up there with the most heartbreaking days supporting the Bees. The roar when Rowlands put us up sounded immense to me (I only stood on the Royal Oak a couple of times). I walked home to Twickenham after in a daze which lasted for a week :cry:
Did you go the wrong way
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

I remember Carl Hutchings and his mates jumping onto the pitch from the Paddock.
I remember Carl Hutchings jumping into Hate Corner when he scored.
Can't remember who we played.
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

I was sitting in the middle of New road, when the final whistle went I noticed there were three Reading fans sitting in front of me quietly celebrating, I shouted out "get these ***** out of here", they told me to be quiet but Brentford fans around me heard and told them to **** off. I can't remember what happened after though. It was bad enough let alone having them celebrate in front of me.
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

Flew to South Africa that night after the game - agree re: the noise.

Spent the first week of my holiday sulking. Totally ruined it. 😂
Similar here @shaun
Emigrated to Canada the following week.
Felt ashamed, like a rat leaving the sinking ship.
Got back just in time for Doncaster 😔
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

Lots from that day👀🫣😂😉 but the funniest moment was madjeskii getting interviewed by bbc Berkshire on the pitch near the away end and madeyes/dangerous going up to him and the reporter and telling them to “get off our fkin pitch or else” …they took the advice 👀😂😂
B also had a third nickname which was my personal favourite. That was 'The Riddler' because he had a scar on his neck in the shape of a question mark.
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

I was in the Brewery Tap instead of The Magpie before the game (probably wanted some food).

I had difficulty getting serving. I did wonder if the blue fleece I was wearing made the people behind the bar suspect I was a Reading supporter. I still have the fleece. Fleeces don't wear out.
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

I was in the Brewery Tap instead of The Magpie before the game (probably wanted some food).

I had difficulty getting serving. I did wonder if the blue fleece I was wearing made the people behind the bar suspect I was a Reading supporter. I still have the fleece. Fleeces don't wear out.
Can you still fit in the fleece
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

Couldn’t make the home against Reading but went to the away game and pi55ed all over them. We won 2-1 but it should off been 4 or 5 -1.

Our starting 11 were the best starting 11 in the league that year. Unfortunately we had no depth in our squad
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

Couldn’t make the home against Reading but went to the away game and pi55ed all over them. We won 2-1 but it should off been 4 or 5 -1.

Our starting 11 were the best starting 11 in the league that year. Unfortunately we had no depth in our squad
We did until Noades would not extend Price's contract, sold Gibbs and Mahon and would not allow Coppell a loan signing on deadline day to replace the hamstrung BBB.
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

Wonder if we had held on the impact on our history ? ......Noades, Ground move , Coppell, Martin Allen time , Benham .........
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

Years after this game I started a new job were one of the contractors was based at GSK on the Great west road.. eventually found out he was a Reading fan and told me he got tickets in the Paddock for the game...He admitted he was finding it hard near the end of the game to not get found out and ran onto the pitch running towards his own fans thinking he would be safe.. Apparently got clumped a couple of times and a black eye from Reading fans thinking he was Brentford having a go 😁😁 ..made me feel better remembering that awful walk away Griffin park..
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

Came down with @Gazza Bee from Sheffield (uni) for the match. Solemn journey back. Obviously bumping into loads of fans around the country, generally saying "How'd you lot get on? Draw, that's not so bad! Cheer up!" 😢
Ha! I was at the top of Brook Road with a couple of our ex-school mates!
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

My sunday team had a Chiswick and District League cup final at Bedfont the morning after.

Usually it would have been a night to stay out and drown your sorrows, but as it was a rare cup final we were trying to be sensible.

Into the Griffin straight after the game with the intention of having one maybe two and heading home, but we were playing Duke Rangers and they were stacked with Bees.

Every time they went to the bar we allowed ourselves another until about 9ish when we headed home.

Turned out we were the ones with self control as our striker flew in from Scotland from a stag do on the morning of the game and stunk the dressing room out with beer fumes.

A 1-0 eased the pain from the day before but couldnt eradicate it.
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

Lots from that day👀🫣😂😉 but the funniest moment was madjeskii getting interviewed by bbc Berkshire on the pitch near the away end and madeyes/dangerous going up to him and the reporter and telling them to “get off our fkin pitch or else” …they took the advice 👀😂😂
Think i saw Dangerous at Reading last week.

Looks to be doing well etc.
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

Terrible memories of this game after what was a fantastic season.

Sad times but also makes the moments we all experience now that little bit sweeter.
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

Was in New Road directly in line behind the looping ball so it just took forever it seemed as it fell in. Memory is the goal came from out of no where; from a sudden long ball that we got beat on. Just a crushing defeat of my favorite ever Brentford team. Reading fans came out to about where I was sat, and Brentford fans started down the pitch towards them. Was sure it was going to kick off.
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

For me that Reading loss was worse than Doncaster because I knew we'd come up the following season after missing out against Donny, whereas I knew that incredible team would be utterly dismantled after losing against Reading.

Many years later I am now living with a Reading fan who fondly remembers being on the Ealing Road with her brother for that game, then her best years following Reading as they won promotion again and had an incredible run in the PL fielding basically our team that had missed out.

The fact that we've swapped places has dulled the pain somewhat for me, and I do the odd game with her at the Madejski when we're not playing and have grown to actually not mind them.

Was one hell of a sh*t end to the season though.
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

...... and have grown to actually not mind them.
Is this like one of those messages someone sends who has been kidnapped to let folks know to alert the appropriate authorities?

:fishing:
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

Curetons goal is covered in the brilliant PL promotion video about all the painful times and then the good times. I think after the recent seasons we’ve had, the games we’ve won in the PL, these heartaches are finally banished.
Still prefer the likes of Reading, Huddersfield, Port Vale, Stoke, Crewe and Yeovil to suffer however!
 

Brentford V Reading - 20th April 2002 - Promotion decider.

Curetons goal is covered in the brilliant PL promotion video about all the painful times and then the good times. I think after the recent seasons we’ve had, the games we’ve won in the PL, these heartaches are finally banished.
Still prefer the likes of Reading, Huddersfield, Port Vale, Stoke, Crewe and Yeovil to suffer however!
Smashing Birmingham City and Reading in two rounds of a cup has been fun.
 
Back
Top Bottom