27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

I feel like i was there for that, but I think i may be confusing that with being right behind Tony Folan's wonder goal against Cambridge
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

I feel like i was there for that, but I think i may be confusing that with being right behind Tony Folan's wonder goal against Cambridge
The Evans goal was a Saturday afternoon. A week later he scored an equally outrageous lob at Burnley.

Folan’s strike against Cambridge was a Friday night live on Sky in December 1998 (3 days after the penalty shootout loss in the FA Cup R2 to Oldham featuring the infamous Rob Quinn smile).
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

Folan’s strike against Cambridge was a Friday night live on Sky in December 1998 (3 days after the penalty shootout loss in the FA Cup R2 to Oldham featuring the infamous Rob Quinn smile).
😡
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

The Evans goal was a Saturday afternoon. A week later he scored an equally outrageous lob at Burnley.

Folan’s strike against Cambridge was a Friday night live on Sky in December 1998 (3 days after the penalty shootout loss in the FA Cup R2 to Oldham featuring the infamous Rob Quinn smile).
Ah yes, definitely was at the night game
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

The Evans goal was a Saturday afternoon. A week later he scored an equally outrageous lob at Burnley.

Folan’s strike against Cambridge was a Friday night live on Sky in December 1998 (3 days after the penalty shootout loss in the FA Cup R2 to Oldham featuring the infamous Rob Quinn smile).
Remember the Friday night game was lashing it down.
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

I feel like i was there for that, but I think i may be confusing that with being right behind Tony Folan's wonder goal against Cambridge
If it helps,
Folan's goal was at Brook Road, Evans was at Ealing Road - though I think both appear at the right hand end in the camera footage because the New Road gantry was used for live games in that period.. Cambridge was live on TV. Other games made do with, I assume, one camera in Braemar.
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

Happy anniversary to the goal, one of my favourite Bees goals ever. There were three good goals in that game, our opener and Preston's second equaliser also decent.

Evo one of the greats.
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

I was in New Road for this with my Grandad. I remember we had just conceded and Evo wasn't happy with it shouting at his teammates to gee them up etc. (Just before this clip starts). Took all his anger out on the ball but as soon as he hit it I thought that's got a chance.
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

I remember that I nearly missed it, because I was "waving" at the Preston fans, in the Wendy House, who were still celebrating their goal. I also remember their bewildered faces as we started celebrating Evo's, because they hadn't seen it go in. :LOL:
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

I was in New Road for this with my Grandad. I remember we had just conceded and Evo wasn't happy with it shouting at his teammates to gee them up etc. (Just before this clip starts). Took all his anger out on the ball but as soon as he hit it I thought that's got a chance.
Possibly the sweetest part.
Their fans still celebrating in the Wendy House when the ball hit the back of the net 😂😂😂
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

Keith Cassells scored a beautifully judged lob at Preston from way out in September 83 to put us three one ahead. I was right behind that one too as the keeper ended up in a tangled mess in the net. Who remembers Robbie Cooke scoring from near the touchline on the New Road, lobbing it into a very small space that the keeper had left? Wonderful goal.
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

I see that Evans is now a sports massage therapist at Leeds United ,pleased he is still in the profession.
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

What was the goalie's name? Finnish guy, about 6'6".
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

I remember the game well. Took my late FIL along - a WetSpam ST holder.This obviously was when you could easily take friends and family to a game. Anyway he thought the goal was a bit special!
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

I was in what used to be the kids section at the Ealing Road end of the Braemar Road Stan, with 9 or 10 year old Pompeybee Junior. We had the ideal view as we were pretty much level with the keeper as the ball went over his head, as he realised he wasn't going to reach it.
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

I was in Hate Corner, busy responding to the Preston fans celebrating their goal when I glanced in the direction of the centre circle and saw the ball flying towards the Ealing Road. It took me a while to figure out who’d kicked it.
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

And he slips as he hits it. (Take note Kane).
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

Remember it very vividly.

Probably should have posted that in the “Signs you are getting older” thread!

As an aside, having Welsh heritage, I went all the way to Cardiff to see Evo’s debut.
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

I was in Hate Corner, busy responding to the Preston fans celebrating their goal when I glanced in the direction of the centre circle and saw the ball flying towards the Ealing Road. It took me a while to figure out who’d kicked it.
Same for the Carlisle o.g. (Billy Barr) from the restart after they scored. No big screen replays to see what actually happened :ROFLMAO:. 1:15 here:

View: https://youtu.be/oiVLGpgOZBw?si=E2-G0VSb35Li2m4j
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

What a brilliant og. I can only think of a Blackburn one at home in about 73 for one of similar quality in John O'Mara's last game for us.
Not for reactivating as it’s an old thread, but there’s a decent list of own goals here: https://griffinpark.org/forums/threads/great-own-goals.7168/

Without intending to take the thread off topic, it was Edmundo’s mention that most of Hate Corner missed Evo’s goal from kickoff that made me think the same happened vs Carlisle.
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

👍👍👍
Didn’t we go top of the league after that game?

League Division 2 table after close of play on 25 September 1999​


1Bristol Rovers9612127519
2Burnley9531104618
3Luton Town95221410417
4Wigan Athletic8440178916
5Notts County8422138514
6Stoke City94231511414
7AFC Bournemouth94231411314
9Bury93421411313
10Wycombe Wanderers9342109113
11Wrexham94141213-113
12Preston North End93421112-113
13Bristol City8332139412
14Millwall724199010
15Cardiff City8242910-110
16Gillingham92431113-210
17Chesterfield822489-18
18Reading82241115-48
19Oxford United9225913-48
20Scunthorpe United9225613-78
21Cambridge United91441418-47
22Blackpool91351017-76
23Colchester United8206619-136
24Oldham Athletic8116611-54

[th]
Pos

[/th][th]
Team

[/th][th]
Pld

[/th][th]
W

[/th][th]
D

[/th][th]
L

[/th][th]
GF

[/th][th]
GA

[/th][th]
GD

[/th][th]
Pts

[/th]
[td]8[/td][td]Brentford[/td][td]7[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]0[/td][td]12[/td][td]6[/td][td]6[/td][td]13[/td]

Dunno why copy / paste didn#t show Brentford - 8th (pl 7 w 3 d 4 l 0 gf 12 ga 6)
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

1Bristol Rovers9612127519
2Burnley9531104618
3Luton Town95221410417
4Wigan Athletic8440178916
5Notts County8422138514
6Stoke City94231511414
7AFC Bournemouth94231411314
9Bury93421411313
10Wycombe Wanderers9342109113
11Wrexham94141213-113
12Preston North End93421112-113
13Bristol City8332139412
14Millwall724199010
15Cardiff City8242910-110
16Gillingham92431113-210
17Chesterfield822489-18
18Reading82241115-48
19Oxford United9225913-48
20Scunthorpe United9225613-78
21Cambridge United91441418-47
22Blackpool91351017-76
23Colchester United8206619-136
24Oldham Athletic8116611-54

Dunno why copy / paste didn#t show Brentford - 8th (pl 7 w 3 d 4 l 0 gf 12 ga 6)
Sorry @Andrelux but don’t think that table is correct. Burnley, Luton nor Wigan were in Div 3 in 72/73.
Mind you my memories is awry.
According to my 100 Years of Brentford we only went as high as 2nd that season (after winning at Plymouth on 2nd September) and John O’Mara’s last game for us was v Swansea on 9th September ( @ruislip bee ).
Must be getting old 😔

1790530966289.jpeg
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

Sorry @Andrelux but don’t think that table is correct. Burnley, Luton nor Wigan were in Div 3 in 72/73.
Mind you my memories is awry.
According to my 100 Years of Brentford we only went as high as 2nd that season (after winning at Plymouth on 2nd September) and John O’Mara’s last game for us was v Swansea on 9th September ( @ruislip bee ).
Must be getting old 😔

View attachment 69396
Funny how memory plays tricks. I was sure we beat Blackburn 4-0 on the Saturday and they signed O'Mara virtually overnight after he starred! Oh well. Nearly right.
 

27 years ago today - Paul Evans from the halfway line

Sorry @Andrelux but don’t think that table is correct. Burnley, Luton nor Wigan were in Div 3 in 72/73.
Mind you my memories is awry.
According to my 100 Years of Brentford we only went as high as 2nd that season (after winning at Plymouth on 2nd September) and John O’Mara’s last game for us was v Swansea on 9th September ( @ruislip bee ).
Must be getting old 😔

View attachment 69396
Confusion is on my part. The table is that of 1999-2000 after the 2-2 draw with Preston (the 27 years etc of the thread title).
 
Back
Top Bottom