kaebess
Active member
Clair Baker
My sister- Just 55 years young.
I wanted to share part of her life, her football journey, for my therapy, but also it was part of her life that many of her friends did not get, or understand.
Clair’s sports journey started like so many of us at school. Me being a few years older, playing as much sport as possible, as soon as she joined Chiswick school she was put forward for all the sports teams. She excelled at Hockey playing to a reasonable level. Unfortunately like so many when she left school that was it. But that team ethic was there.
Football was never part of her interest, she first went to Brentford in the mid nineties after I had moved down to the south coast, for work, with a young family. I missed going with me dad, dad missed going, him not being able to walk far, she went as his carer, sitting in the front row in Braemar. Within a couple of games she was hooked. being able to let all the week out, the humour, the language, the team, the part of being of one, all together, no matter how bad the football was in them dark days, she loved it. They went together for well over a decade until my dad passed away. She soon realised that she missed the football. She moved to the New Road, behind the away dugout, to sit close to a friends son. He was and still is exception kind, making sure she was always part of it all. In later years when I wanted to sit, I was lucky enough to join them for a few years before we all moved to the Gtech. Clair has had a ( she still has one in the dugout ) season ticket for nearly 30 years. Later she may not have come to every game as her problems had started.
Away from football, she could play the flute, she could play to concert performance levels. She gave time, even with no kids, to the scouts, because she liked giving, seeing others enjoying themselves.
Work wise she had some very responsible jobs. She became qualified as an engineer ( she was the first female student, the college had to build female facilities for her ). She worked at the National Physical Laboratory in Teddington, soon realising that she like to communicate more. She retrained to become a qualified buyer. Working for Nestle, British Airways, Centrica, BUPA, Imperial Tobacco, Grants Whisky, all in a non operational, buying role. Her favourite job though where she spent most of her time was Warner Brothers. She was buying team lead for the building of the Harry Potter centre in north London. She negotiated the contracts for everything from the concrete for the foundations to the wands that are sold in the gift shop, signing off on 100’s of millions of spend. Her office in London, she sat next to the original Nimbus 2000 broom stick, she was so proud when the centre opened. Just want to give you some perspective of her capabilities.
What went wrong? It’s was Alcohol. However much she gave, achieved, it never seemed enough. She never seem to be totally happy, always wanting more. Over the last few years she had a stomach by pass ( going private to get round the waiting and psychological assessments required ) to lose weight. She lost about 75 kilos in a year. The real issue was never tackled. A couple of years ago just after our mum passed she got married, hoping that was the answer, it wasn’t. He couldn’t cope but didn’t ask for help. It was only recently I found out he never moved in.
In the last couple of weeks digging around. I have found shopping bills ( all delivered ), she brought 7 bottles of wine a day, everyday, for the weeks I checked. I just never knew it was that bad. She was great at hiding it all. Then a few weeks ago her liver just packed up.
What I am struggling with is, someone clear smart, kind, giving, thoughtful of others, always time for her friends, can allow themselves to abuse their own bodies in this way. Just not being able to stop. I like a drink but ???? If anyone reading this knows someone, or are themselves drinking to excess, I plead with you, confront it/ them, get it out there, look for help, get help, stick with people who can help on a daily basis.
If you have got this far, thank you for reading part of my therapy. One last thing. Give it all for the boys tomorrow I know if Clair was there she would be giving the team her all.
Rest in peace my little sister.
I wanted to share part of her life, her football journey, for my therapy, but also it was part of her life that many of her friends did not get, or understand.
Clair’s sports journey started like so many of us at school. Me being a few years older, playing as much sport as possible, as soon as she joined Chiswick school she was put forward for all the sports teams. She excelled at Hockey playing to a reasonable level. Unfortunately like so many when she left school that was it. But that team ethic was there.
Football was never part of her interest, she first went to Brentford in the mid nineties after I had moved down to the south coast, for work, with a young family. I missed going with me dad, dad missed going, him not being able to walk far, she went as his carer, sitting in the front row in Braemar. Within a couple of games she was hooked. being able to let all the week out, the humour, the language, the team, the part of being of one, all together, no matter how bad the football was in them dark days, she loved it. They went together for well over a decade until my dad passed away. She soon realised that she missed the football. She moved to the New Road, behind the away dugout, to sit close to a friends son. He was and still is exception kind, making sure she was always part of it all. In later years when I wanted to sit, I was lucky enough to join them for a few years before we all moved to the Gtech. Clair has had a ( she still has one in the dugout ) season ticket for nearly 30 years. Later she may not have come to every game as her problems had started.
Away from football, she could play the flute, she could play to concert performance levels. She gave time, even with no kids, to the scouts, because she liked giving, seeing others enjoying themselves.
Work wise she had some very responsible jobs. She became qualified as an engineer ( she was the first female student, the college had to build female facilities for her ). She worked at the National Physical Laboratory in Teddington, soon realising that she like to communicate more. She retrained to become a qualified buyer. Working for Nestle, British Airways, Centrica, BUPA, Imperial Tobacco, Grants Whisky, all in a non operational, buying role. Her favourite job though where she spent most of her time was Warner Brothers. She was buying team lead for the building of the Harry Potter centre in north London. She negotiated the contracts for everything from the concrete for the foundations to the wands that are sold in the gift shop, signing off on 100’s of millions of spend. Her office in London, she sat next to the original Nimbus 2000 broom stick, she was so proud when the centre opened. Just want to give you some perspective of her capabilities.
What went wrong? It’s was Alcohol. However much she gave, achieved, it never seemed enough. She never seem to be totally happy, always wanting more. Over the last few years she had a stomach by pass ( going private to get round the waiting and psychological assessments required ) to lose weight. She lost about 75 kilos in a year. The real issue was never tackled. A couple of years ago just after our mum passed she got married, hoping that was the answer, it wasn’t. He couldn’t cope but didn’t ask for help. It was only recently I found out he never moved in.
In the last couple of weeks digging around. I have found shopping bills ( all delivered ), she brought 7 bottles of wine a day, everyday, for the weeks I checked. I just never knew it was that bad. She was great at hiding it all. Then a few weeks ago her liver just packed up.
What I am struggling with is, someone clear smart, kind, giving, thoughtful of others, always time for her friends, can allow themselves to abuse their own bodies in this way. Just not being able to stop. I like a drink but ???? If anyone reading this knows someone, or are themselves drinking to excess, I plead with you, confront it/ them, get it out there, look for help, get help, stick with people who can help on a daily basis.
If you have got this far, thank you for reading part of my therapy. One last thing. Give it all for the boys tomorrow I know if Clair was there she would be giving the team her all.
Rest in peace my little sister.